“Really grew on me...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, NY
“Really grew on me...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

When I'm in Miami, I usually stay at the Shore Club, but decided to try this place 'cause it's in the same price range. At first it very much compared unfavorably, with I-could-care-less-about-you attitude from the front desk at check-in, which continued throughout the stay. And I have to say that was odd considering the wait staff in the restaurant, the spa staff, housekeeping and the valet could not have been more friendly and accommodating. But the front desk acted like they were in a dentists chair and you were the dentist every time you asked them a question. Also, the rooms are smaller than Shore Club. And while the spa is larger, it's oddly and inconveniently laid out. Also the "Continental" breakfast which was included in my package was a pile of bread. It was ridiculous. (Shore Club gives you fruit.) So I'd hope they reconsider that. Its silly: who eats a croissant, a chocolate croissant, 2 pieces of coffee cake and like 6 places of bread for breakfast?

But then the advantages started to sink in. It's quiet. I slept well. I could party with the riff-raff on the beach and then retreat to my hideaway. The pool is tremendous. The warm waterfall is great. The 'clothing-optional' mudbath was sensational. Great feeling soaking naked in a giant bathtub on the water's edge! (and I'm not even close to being a nudist!!!)

The indoor facilities not bad either. The Hammam was very relaxing and the steam room was good.

So by the time I left I felt it was far better than the Shore Club and I would definitely stay here again and would choose it over Shore Club from now on all things being equal.

Finally, a tip if you want to avoid the $40 a day parking fee: there's free street parking all around the hotel...only problem is it's only good during the day--at night you need a residential parking permit. But go over one bridge toward the beach to Purdy Ave. and there are 8 hour meters which are not in effect from midnight-9 a.m. So, if you park there at night, and then you can move the car by 9 a.m. to a free spot right in front of the hotel. Sounds like a lot of work but $2 or so vs. $40?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

I stayed here for one night with my guy before heading out for some sailing.
I was able to check in a bit earlier than the normal check-in which was great since the hotel was pretty busy. And let me say, all of the staff I encountered was very attractive lol.
Getting to the poolside rooms on the second floor are a bit tricky but the exterior hallways are great - wonderful views of the pool and water. The problem is, however, theres music and a pretty much non-stop party going on by the pool. That, coupled with paper thin walls, made for a sleepless night. I understand this is quite a party hotel but the loud noises, loud chatter, music in courtyard/poolside are unavoidable. on the plus side, the bed is comfortable!
The bathroom is tiny and only had two bath towels and one hand towel. a narrow shelf for toiletries sloped a little so things just rolled off... and it was right above the toilet.
The room service menu for dinner is pretty interesting and we only ordered apps but they were tasty. The server carried it in on a tray and put it on the folded table mounted on the wall... so there was no place to eat; we had the plates in our laps
The TV is small (i know, i know... its Miami - we should have been out!) but helps pass the time on sleepless nights when your neighbors partying way late.
if i was in Miami to party at night or relax at the spa/poolside, i would definitely stay here again. but for the purpose of this trip - just a place to chill and sleep before embarking on a sailing trip at a nearby marina, this was not at all a good choice

Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We visited friends who were staying at the Standard about four years ago on my first trip to Miami and it was lovely. The grounds are chic and elegant and the pool area was well-appointed, clean, and had great views of the area and the water. The rooms have a Zen-like elegant spare quality and the mid-century modern decor is very nice. I decided to go back there for my own visit in April and I was not as impressed. I remember poolside service being fast, friendly, and efficient. Things have gone downhill since then.

The hammam seemed run down and dirty with a faint hint of mildew throughout and leaky faucets loudly splattering on the floor. The clientele noisily chatted which detracted from the relaxing atmosphere of the space. The steam room smelled funky and mildewy. An urn of water was in the hammam but there were no more cups, other guests had thrown wadded up paper cups on the ground, and there were no clean towels. I found myself wondering why this spa was out of towels (??) and why no staff had bothered to refill the water urn and make sure there were enough cups for the guests to have water. And the Standard sells day passes which turns an already snug pool and grounds area into a mob scene on the weekends (if you decide to stay here and you like sunbathing, wake up really early to grab a chair).

On several occasions I was outright ignored by the staff at the pool or the bar and had to chase down coffee which I ordered with my breakfast (the food came right away but no coffee) or at the bar where my partner waited for a bartender to acknowledge his presence so he could order a drink. The staff seemed disinterested and lax most of the time, not rude but certainly not polite or eager to serve the hotel guests. At a place that bills itself as an exclusive "adult playground" I was disappointed in the less-than-average service.

Anywhere you stay in Miami Beach is going to be exorbitantly expensive and pretentious, but if you visit the area stay someplace where your huge bill will have meant you got top-notch service. The Standard was only so-so.

Pros: Close to Miami Beach, Lovely space/grounds and pool, comfortable rooms, adults only.
Cons: Mediocre/poor service, overcrowded, shabby facilities (spa & hammam), overpriced

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

I am just back from a five-night stay at The Standard; this is a preferred hotel for my company and I was there with two colleagues for a work project. After my first night in a basic room, surrounded by loud spring breakers, I asked for the quietest room available and was informed that for $60 more per night I could upgrade to a "Wet" room...room was the same size but larger private patios with an outdoor tub do offer more privacy, but beware that the rooms numbered in the 60's and 70's are on the side of the hotel adjacent to a major construction project, so there's noise during the day.

Overall, very pretty location. Beautiful grounds, very cool pool scene with gorgeous bay views...rooms are VERY basic with reasonably comfortable beds. It feels like, and may have been, a converted motel. And the spa is quite nice.

There is virtually no service...if you're accustomed to sitting at a restaurant and expecting a server to greet you in a timely manner, forget it. Anything relating to food and beverage is poorly managed and understaffed. We ate at the outside restaurant (there's an indoor one, but it's in an undefined/unwelcoming space and usually unattended) one night and waited over 20 minutes after being seated by the host before anyone came over to us. Food arrived cold, though our poor waitress was only one of two servers on duty for a huge area.

On another night we sat near the (unattended) indoor bar and finally had to ask the front desk attendant to get us a waiter so we could order a drink...Pinot Grigio somehow translated as Pinot Noir...so half an hour later we finally got our drinks (comped, to be fair)...

Good luck getting a taxi (despite what others have said, The Standard IS far away from everything)...these requests either don't get processed or are handled at their leisure.

This lax attitude towards service seems to permeate at all levels - a friend told us his calls to The Standard's special event office to inquire about hosting a reception at the hotel were unreturned.

The price is right, but we'd rather stay someplace where service is more of a priority and pay more...this is really a staffing issue, which was very uneven (sometimes there were people opening the front door, a concierge at the desk...and other times there was absolutely nobody in the lobby save for a lone soul behind the desk. It's difficult to understand who's running things! Definitely NOT equipped for business travelers.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

The vibe is pretty lively and fun. We were in for a bachelor party, and liked the setting quite a bit. The service was totally bizarre for the 500 bucks a night we spent to stay there. First, my mobile phone went missing from my room, and when I talked to the management about it, they didn't really care. Second, friends not staying with us sent a bottle of scotch over to us, and it never made it to the room. Valet service was childish. It was like management (not the waitstaff, and actual people doing the work), were so impressed with themselves and too cool to be helpful. I would have tolerated that at 22. Not as an adult. I will never stay at another Standard Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Totally not what I expected but i think thats why we liked it so much! My wife and I traveled with friends to attend the SOBE Food network Food and Wine Fest. We had a friend who told us to stay at the Standard. Having stayed at the one in LA, i kinda pictured the one in Miami to be a thriving trendy hot spot where when you walk in the parties are off the hook! This Standard Miami was totally the opposite. Its a spa! People come here to relax and use their spa voices. Included with your room rate are some really nice ammenities like the steam room, sauna and bath tubs as well as the pool and hot tub. Im not really the spend the day at the spa kinda guy so the steam room and hottub were well above my needs.

The rooms are tiny, but cozy and there wasnt any noise at all in our room from other guests. The hotel is old and they arent trying to hide that, but i think it goes well with SOBEs art deco kinda vibe anyway. We even drove past it a few times becuase an old hotel logo is still on the outside of the building.

You arent really walking distance to any of the famous south beach landmarks but the most i paid for a cab fare was 7 bucks to ocean drive all weekend. The hotel manager ( Matt i beleive) was super cool. He got our names on a couple of cool swanky bars and clubs guestlists and told us all the hot spots to hit while we were there.

The food at the hotel was insane! The breakfast sandwhich was very good and lunch by the pool was killer too! Pricing wasnt bad considering you are in Miami.

But i think the best part of the whole weekend was screaming at super chef Bobby Flay while he was passing through the pool area then 30 minutes later crashing his party he had on the private patio behind the hotel! LOL! Shhhhh.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

This was a strange hotel.

Standard--where the service takes holiday, while you are at it: The staff was cordial and meant well in every way I thought, at least it appeared to be, but there's no real service because they seemed out of it. They were nice, but they just didn't know what's going on at all. It seemed like the entire place is operated by a bunch of incompetent, ditzy, no real hotel service experience under the belt 20 something kids who believed that this is the industry standard. Ironically the name is Standard and they print it upside down. Look out for the automatic 18 to 20% gratuity added to the bills after the mediocre service, but as mentioned earlier most of the staff is nice.

Room: They wanted the setting to exude hip and minimalism vibes, but it merely meant inconvenience. Some side tables besides the bed instead of the random picnic baskets, a mirror, a coffee pot, a real ironing board, some counter spaces in the bathroom would have made our stay more comfortable. Stuff you take for granted at normal hotels were unseen at this hotel room. The housekeeping did not understand the guest's need of the wash clothes. They didn't exist and what I got from the front desk disappeared the next day. I've never seen them again.

Ground: Most of the guests stayed at the hotel I thought were the liked minded people--who wanted to be away from the south beach craziness looking for the serene, zen like spa experience with health conscious programs like yoga, well being workshops and organic diet. It turned out that one can take people out of the South Beach party scene, but can't take the party out of the people: It was noisy. No phone's allowed, but the guy below us was shouting on the phone outside at midnight; no smoking's allowed, and yet cigarettes were lit anywhere outdoor; at 3 in the morning the patrons return drunk and have a full on conversation outside of the room very loudly. And at this hotel with no sound proof whatsoever,because of the oblivious people, I woke up in the middle of the night fumbling around for the ear plugs, the very things I thought I could avoid when I left NYC.

Spa, pool and classes: Spa is okay, it has some wears, but it didn't bother me much; the pool is beautiful and the service at the pool is good, actually; massage I got was good, but nothing extraordinary; the yoga class was small and the instructor was very attentive for each individual's needs.

In general the hotel was clean, the food was okay, the pool's beautiful, the location was ideal, spa kept the cloudy day bearable, the ground was noisy at times, it's more expensive than it should be, and the service had many opportunities. I would recommend this hotel to a friend who wants to go to South Beach but there'd be plenty of "heads up".

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Standard, Miami? Share your experiences!