“Upside down and backwards by design...eclectic perhaps?” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Extra Playtime
Ranked #48 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Upside down and backwards by design...eclectic perhaps?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

First let me say that I can read upside down and backward and never noticed the logo treatment until I got there and noticed the sign. Like some of the other poster's I thought the place was weird...little things that really could not have been oversights and once I got on to them I "got it" (I think!) First there were strange things in the room. For instance no desk for the lap top but excellent Wi-Fi. In the bedroom I found one two socket electric receptacle in a world filled with Ipads, I phones and lap tops that need to be charged. Not only were their no bedside tables, but the phone was located along side the bed 12 inches off the floor!. I'm an "ancient" with bi-focals and I had to lay on the floor and torque my neck up to find the button for the valet to call for my car. We put our toiletries on the floor. This place has gone out of its way to be different...and whether you get it or not it will be memorable. It kind of looks like and acts like a lovers getaway.

There was a substantial mix of G&L couples but even though we are straight, older and conservative there was no sense of pressure and little exhibition...a laid back and casual atmosphere. We had dinner the first Monday night of June at the pool...Lido. It drizzled and rained and Art the server could not have been more accommodating. We were eight people and all ordered something different. I had a filet Sea Bass...called something like Mediterranean Branzini... looks like they put it flesh down on a grill then flipped on the skin for a few minutes...result is the meat was a little dry and maybe wood flavored but below the surface was moist and the meat separated beautifully from the skin...you cannot do that by accident. It came with chopped and lightly sautéed Brussel sprouts. The food and drinks were a little pricey...but after all this is Miami Beach. Next night we had after dinner cocktails as the sun was setting and the Miami skyline began its twinkle...more than made up for no beach. The hotel and parking staff was all about service. So we were there on a couple slow days and nights but I thought it was intentionally different and a nice break from the beachfront hotels.

Room Tip: This can be tricky...we had a first floor with a cabana type "porch" very nice but upstair...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

i stayed there a couple of days with my mum before heading back from the holidays. We had a nice stay, we had one of the cabanas with the bathtub in the yard. the hotel was a bit crowded, the cabanas are next to each other divided only by a curtain so there was not much privacy. the room in itself was nice, breakfast amazing...surely the kind of place you want to try once but not sure whether you would go back. the infinity pool was nice but no direct access to the beach which is a real pity.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I came here for a week with my girlfriend after a very cold, snowy 2014 winter looking for some warmth and rejuvenation. I left with a headache, a bad taste in my mouth, and my two best suits missing their matching pants!

First, let me say that the spa portion of the hotel was wonderful. It was great to be able to access the steam bath, sauna, and all the amenities in the spa. The spa staff were all very kind.

Unfortunately, the hotel and its staff are a completely different story. We stayed for 1 week, and over course of the week the negative aspects, (mostly centering around service and staff) became very clear. What we encountered wasn't just poor service, but EXTREME rudeness, attitude, and slowness with respect to the customers needs.

Hotel Lobby - We checked in on time, but were told that our room was not ready. The desk clerk, dressed in a Nurse Ratchett outfit, did not smile or apologize at all.

Rooms - Cheaply furnished. Extremely small. Bright and beachy. No dresser or nightstands. Small shelves/ledges attached to walls. No counter in bathroom, just a small ledge. It looks like they bought everything from IKEA. Mattress comfortable. No room to put anything. No coffee maker. Must buy coffee pot for $7 per day.

Pool service - Every day at the pool it would take at least 15 min to be approached for service after sitting down. And this is not a large, packed pool. Then another 15 minutes to receive drinks. Overall 30 minutes after sitting in the hot sun with no water or beverages. For $15+ drinks, the service must be prompt, and the drinks excellent. They were not. The beer was warm, almost hot every time. I told the bartender about the issue with warm beer and suggested maybe an ice bucket or cooler somewhere to do the trick. My suggestion was shrugged off. Apparently they have a small refrigerator/cooler that gets opened and shut constantly all day. I chalk this up to poor management really. You cannot, under any circumstances, serve warm beer at a pool!!!!!!!

Bar/Restaurant - Food was great, interesting healthy meals and choices. We went down to the dining deck on our last night just to sit by the water and have a drink. As we approached, we were greeted by someone, I don't know what position or name. They asked us what they could do for us and we told them we were looking for a place to sit. He asked us if we were getting food or drinks. We said drinks, and he pointed to the bar area, that they were trying to close down the dining table area (which was near the water). Only many tables were just getting food. This pompous employee was denying us a table because we weren't getting a full meal. He realized he screwed up when he found out we were week long hotel guests. I moved us to a table by the water, and he comped a round of drinks. Too late idiot. You blew it.

Maid service - Noticed they came late regularly. But it's a spa, right, even the workers can be super relaxed right? I came back to my room from the pool at 3pm to find our door wide open, the maid in the bathroom (which is at the back of the room). 2 out of 6 days they did not clean our room, and twice they did not complete it until 3pm. When we inquired about the missed days, we were told that we had the do not disturb sign on the door.

Stolen Property - I had two pairs of dress pants stolen from the room with a total replacement value around $1000. The hotel assured me that they would do whatever it took to make me happy and that the Guest Services Manager would be in touch with me. After the first two conversations with Charlie, he stopped returning my calls. He did tell me that there were no security cameras in the hallway to my room. (SERIOUSLY!!!!) The insurance company never called me to follow up. Honestly, if I didn't call the insurance company every other day I never would have received any claim. My guess is that he was hoping, much like the other staff, that all the guests would just go away so they could enjoy the beautiful property to themselves. In the end I settled with the insurance company for $500, which is the maximum allowed by FL statute. It went from "We'll do whatever it takes to accommodate you, to let's just pay the maximum allowable by law, only if he calls constantly and eventually threatens legal action." Really sad.

Based on the current level of service you are offering, you should just cut the staff expense, cut your rates and become a truly cool, beach-y resort and stop pretending to be a full-service resort and spa charging 4 and 5 star prices. Or fix your management and actually get them to train their staff properly and manage for performance.

Very sad, Standard. You have a great location and a coole historic building but a complete lack of hospitality and understanding of what makes a successful hotel. GUEST SERVICE and HAPPINESS

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

What an experience! since you leave the cab and they open you the front door, it's sure you will have the best experience ever in hotel stay! People on front desk are very nice, and the feeling you're arriving for the best days of your life start with their smile. Rooms are very cozy and with a beach look decor, nice shower and closet, filled with great drinks and snacks, beds are very comfortable and give you a great sleeping experience.
Outdoors, wow, you will be amazed by the gardens, the relax area, day or night, and when you elk to the pool area and the Grill Bar, you will be amazed again by the views of the city and ocean.
Service, well, the best I'd been in the last years in a hotel. There's always nice people to assist you and they are really cool, modern and good looking too. Make you feel good!
Foods are excellent, from breakfast options menu or lunch and dinning, very healthy options are available too, you will love.
Make sure you send time on their gym and spa facilities, just great!
and please, spend time around the pool and bar! you will feel good with great people around and the service their offer, a must GO!

Room Tip: If you want quite rooms ask for the ones on the right side of hotel, they are away from walking path...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Celebration, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Service is second to none. After several visits over past 8 years, it continues to hold the highest 'standard'!!
The Spa, the hot tub, plunge pool, infinity pool - all lead to the ultimate weekend of relaxation.
It is not cheap, but it is worth every penny blowing the "Typical" south beach hotel - clean out of the water!!!
Serenity Now!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

As a guest of the hotel and while sending client, I cannot properly articulate with adjectives to describe the experience while relaxing by the pool of The Standard Hotel of Miami Beach. Although each member of the pool team is excellent, I wanted to take a moment and recognize Yessie.

Her spirit of kindness and genuine sense of caring for each member or guest of the hotel is outstanding. I have observed her as she takes time to ensure that each person around the pool is having a great experience. She actively listens and proactively makes changes for them to ensure that their needs are being taken care of.

Although the temperature of the sun is extremely hot, it never has an affect on her great smile and positive energy.

Thank you to all the team members of the pool that ensure that each guest is having an incredible experience. The management of the hotel truly has a positive influence on their team members.

Room Tip: I have personally stayed at the hotel and placed my clients at the hotel. It allows myself and my c...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The only good place with ocean front dining good service and goo food in Miami. So much water and so few places to enjoy with water view. Highly recommended. People watching without comparison. Expensive but worth every penny

Room Tip: I'm referring to the spa restaurant swimming pool no the rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Standard Miami? Share your experiences!