“More like a spa with some rooms, than a hotel with a spa...” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Intox + Detox
Ranked #44 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
New York, NY
“More like a spa with some rooms, than a hotel with a spa...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

This might be one of my favorite places to stay in the country, and is definitely the only place I'd consider staying in Miami. Five Stars IMHO yes, although WITH SOME MAJOR CAVEATS:

As I mentioned in the 'headline' the main reason I like it so much is it's really like a big spa that has some rooms you can stay in. (The hotel itself is fairly small.) The SPA is exceptionally well run, the HOTEL is not. Since the hotel is so small, they sell spa memberships to people who live in the area. So if you go on a week-end, a lot of the people in the spa and outside at the pool will be locals partying, which is another thing I like a lot: I always meet interesting people here. Spa services are pricey, but completely in line with the area. (Actually, if you're staying somewhere else, another nice thing here is if you book any spa service, you can use the pool, etc. for the day, not just the sauna, which would be the case in most other hotel/spas.) And the quality of spa treatments is good. The sauna and steam room are exceptional. As is the pool, which pipes music in when you're underwater. I also like the outdoor mud treatments (including a naked dip into Biscayne Bay afterwards!)

Now for the negatives: check-in is a rather late 4 PM. Even then, every time I've stayed, my room hasn't been ready at that time. It is irritating to arrive at or after the check-in time and be told: "You're in queue for a room." The only saving grace is the spa has good facilities so you can leave all your stuff in a locker and just go straight to the pool. And this last time the front desk person said she'd call me when the room was ready, which seemed like an improvement in the system, only 3, 4 hours later nobody had called me. (Actually, this ended up costing the hotel $, which I'm sure they don't want: since I didn't have a room #, I couldn't do room charge for drinks at the pool, so was limited to the cash I had on hand, which wasn't much...) Finally, as the sun went down, I called the front desk and they said "Oh yeah, your room is ready." So, great. So I figure I'll pick up the keys, and my bags will be in the room (as they would be in any good hotel.) But no. I get the keys, go to the room, then have to go back to the front to fetch my bags. Similarly, I booked a package through the hotel which included a bottle of wine. The wine should've been in the room when I got to the room. No. No wine appeared until I called and asked for it. And a couple of other things I've mentioned before: 1) the rooms do not have enough power: just 2 open electrical outlets, not enough in this day-and-age. (They could remove the TV for all I care, just give me a place to plug in!) 2) They give you nice robes, but no place to hang them: there are no hooks of any kind in the bathroom. Weird. 3) Why don't they service breakfast in the waterside restaurant?

Staff is uniformly friendly, although not always completely helpful.

With that said: I am still giving it 5 stars, which tells you a lot about my overall experience!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

816 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Just back from my 4th trip to The Standard in Miami and it gets better every time. The pool is awesome - shade and sun options and lots of friendly servers running around offering water, food, and drinks. The underwater music is a perfect example of how this property offers great surprises. The entire staff is friendly, responsive, and happy to help. The food on property is terrific. It's understated but delivers on quality 100%. Look for Alex at check-in - especially helpful and attentive!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My family and I had a marvelous time at the Standard Miami. Wonderful retro interiors, very friendly staff, awesome spa facilities, and some excellent dining too - must recommend the resort's Lido Grill Restaurant for some exquisite seafood dishes. And the view of the sunset by the pool is priceless! Just a perfect place to be in Miami!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Standard was an amazing place to spend the day with my family.
I enjoyed an entire day in their spa facilities, followed by a delicious dinner at their restaurant.
The spa has a very relaxing "Hammam" area which was made of heated marble.
The restaurant had a great variety of healthier made, but still extremely delicious seafood that made me feel great after eating.
If you want a place to be able to relax on vacation, without feeling guilty, definitely check out The Standard!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

The hotel has a rather quirky retro feel and is for adults only. It's located in a pleasant residential area. There are a number of good restaurants about 5 minutes walk away on Purdy Avenue. The hotel gardens and pool area are a real plus, particularly as there are a number of comfy shady spots. We ate dinner one night in the hotel's Lido Restaurant and had a great meal there overlooking the water. I went to the Spa every day which is magnificent. Had a great pedicure from Patricia. Our room was not huge and had limited storage space but it did have large walk-in shower (no bath). Without exception all the hotel staff were excellent and were all extremely pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have a terrace.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I want to preface this with the fact that I am from Miami and now live in Boca Raton. My husband sent my best friend and me to The Standard as a Mother’s Day gift. I have lived on Miami Beach and worked at a few bars in South Beach years ago. I know that Miami is known for its lack of customer service. In fact, I often joke that we take great pride in our rudeness. I am a sucker for good service. I used to hang out at The Standard when they had bingo nights and for private parties back in the day.

So when I went for an overnight stay I wasn’t really expecting much. Just a nice night away from the kids and to have a day at the (adult only) pool and spa. From the valet to the concierge, to the random people patrolling the grounds, everyone was welcoming and friendly. This is how hospitality is supposed to be. Pleasant without kissing butt, welcoming without overwhelming…

The spa is amazing. I’ve been to many, and nothing can really compare to the spa at Caesars Palace in Vegas, but this is the closest I have found in the States. It was clean, tranquil and relaxing.

The pool staff was pleasant without being pushy; I hate feeling like I have to spend money to get the waiter to give me better service (this is common in South Beach).

Alex, THANK YOU so much for your generous hospitality. You and The Standard staff are a doing a great job, please keep it up!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Just stayed for 4 days and had a fantastic time. The pool is large and sits on the bay. The pool service, bar and restaurant are great. The minute you arrive go see the Concierge who is in the know about restaurants, things to do, etc. in Miami. Worked out at the gym a few times, because of business meetings, didn't have time to visit the spa, but will be back try it out. Can't say enough about the friendly staff. A great place to relax and unwind. Easy walk to Lincoln road.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Standard Miami? Share your experiences!