“Very enjoyable week at the standard. ” 4 of 5 stars

Spoiled by the Spa
Ranked #41 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
memphis
“Very enjoyable week at the standard. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed at the Standard for 4 nights and it was amazing. It's is very different that what the typical SoBe hotel will be but that is why you want to book a stay.

The pool was amazing, clean and free of trash. It was a great to spend all day there, with no regret. You have the option of the swimming pool, cold pool, waterfall hot tub or hopping in the bay. Make sure you try the sliders and garlic aioli. Having a great pool is an advantage with all the jelly fish we encountered at the beach. It is the focal point of a very nice hotel.

The 3rd floor spa was excellent, I did not use any of the services but the gym sauna, steam room where all top notch.

One thing I did not realize was the 25 cent shuttle bus that will take you to south beach. The station is right in front of the hotel. There is a publix that is about 10 mins and is a great place to get alcohol and snacks. The numerous complaints of outrageously priced drinks is alleviated by getting what you need there. There is also a whole foods nearby also.

Bad:
The rooms are spartan and dated. Whether this is done on purpose I'm not sure. I did see plenty of landscaping and and crew on the grounds.

The fridge in the room is also very small so you cannot use it to store more than one or two large food items and you will have to take out all of the sodas and drinks. Also there is no microwave so plan accordingly

Pool service was not to my expectations. The one time a drink order was placed, we were asked twice if we were guests and and we both had on our robes. After that, going directly to the bar proved the best way to get drinks and water.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at The Standard 2 long week-ends this october.
The pool and deck area are THE place to be. The Spa is very nice with a good variety of treatments and yoga classes. The staff was very helpfull and friendly , which made me feel at home. Would have loved to stay longer. Will definitely stay there on my next visit to Miami.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Standard is a beguiling mix of everything (restrained, Scandi, grungy, happening, healthy, relaxing, welcoming, flamboyant...?!), packed into a small island package. For us, the Lido pool and deck areas were by far and away the main draw, maximising sun and fresh air when everyone back in the UK was entering hibernation. The breakfast/lunch/dinner menus are well-crafted, healthy and excellent quality, so it's easy to stay for every meal, enjoying the waterside settings (whilst casually running up a large bill). But it's only a short scamper over the Ventian Causeway to Lincoln Mall and all its attractions if you must tear yourself away from ultimate relaxation. The weekend brings a cool local crowd and things can get quite hectic, but there are always professional senior staff on hand to keep a handle on it and still make you feel welcome. The room rates are quite considerable, given their compactness and lack of views and complete peace but I appreciate this is a unique hotel and the demand certainly seems to be there! The bed was indeed exceptionally comfy and linen fresher than fresh. Anyhow, Frank Zapata, Jacob and Yessi were the stars for us. Thanks for everything.

Room Tip: Bath terrace large if you have long haul luggage.
Derfield Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

The rooms are clean and spare; housekeeping staff is charming and very helpful, The staff was friendly, helpful, knowledgeable - from the front desk to the housekeeping supervisor (Maggie), thanks for helping me with the door. Hotel has the best Hammam's anywhere, nice spa and gym,
this hotel took me out of the box of a regular hotel, I felt I was in an island with the best staff to accommodate me, I'll be back for more.... Try the new juice café ....the juice are fresh and the salads too...

Room Tip: Try the BXL , next to the pool
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I treated my sister to an overnight and spa day for her 30th birthday. What a treat. When we arrived, we were notified our room had been upgraded - awesome! We spent the following day in an AMAZING yoga class, followed by massages, a delicious lunch at the Lido, a mud mask and bath in the outdoor clothing-free portion of the resort, which you wash off in beautiful outdoor claw-foot tubs. Wrap it up with a past-life regression and juice tasting - what a day!
The negative: holy cow, it's SOOOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are small.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've been to the Standard Hotel in Miami numerous times... several spa days with girlfriends and also with the husband a few times. I've never stayed the night as the hotel itself looks pretty grungy for $300+ per night.

The service in the restaurant or pool area has been never good. I was there once with a group of 4 girls and we wanted to sit down for lunch. It was 11:55 and they said refused to seat us until noon. The tables were set and everything looked in order, but the snooty hostess simply did not want to seat us. The hostess are all very attractive and clearly disappointed that they are hostesses and not actresses or models.

The last time I was there with my husband we waited for a very long time at the pool deck to be offered anything. After 30 minutes, had to flag down a waiter for a menu. Then flag down the waiter a half hour later to order. Then flag down the waiter again for water. Water was never refilled... Not exactly good service considering how expensive everything is and also considering the fact that the pool area was almost empty that day.

Now for the good... the spa is amazing. I can literally spend all day lounging between the pool and the spa. So relaxing and such a beautiful space. The spa treatments are some of the best I've had. I love that the hammam is co-ed so my husband and I can go together and not be separated. The spa staff is always nice and accommodating. Although it's exorbitantly overpriced, it is worth it since I usually will spend a few hours before and after enjoying the hammam and pool. The grounds are also gorgeous and there are many different little areas to relax.

The food is in the restaurant is extremely good. I'm vegetarian and there are so many healthy and delicious options.

Lastly, if you plan to go... they have recently increased the cost of parking. I was there for about 6 hours and my parking bill was $42. But thankfully that included a hefty $3 discount for spending over $300 for two 1 hour massages at the spa. FYI-It would almost be better NOT to mention the spa discount. $3, really? The parking is basically double what it was when I was there just a month ago. I was shocked and very disappointed that I was not made aware of the huge increase when I parked.

All that being said, I'll likely go back. I hate that I love that place.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have not yet discovered a word in the dictionary that describes this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This hotel is absolute paradise...I can promise and even guarantee you, that you will not or ever be disappointed. You do not have to leave this hotel for anything...Matter a fact, you will not want to leave this hotel for anything!!!! BELIEVE ME........The spa is magical and pure heaven. The food, drinks and staff is incredible......Special thanks too: Jodi, Yessi, Oscar, Frank,shane, joe and alex for going above and beyond at there job.. Purely amazing.... The view at night is to die for, you are in paradise.....A little separate island...I had a room with a tub located outside of the room.... Just priceless.....something i have never experienced....Nowhere in this world can top what i just experienced this past weekend!!!!!!!I cant wait to go back....You can go with friends , couples or even family!!!!!! O yes the pool area....wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Standard, Miami? Share your experiences!