“Past the thin veneer of the Spa and Lobby lies renovated dorm rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard Miami

Offers & Announcements
Summer Lovin'
Ranked #51 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Brooklyn
“Past the thin veneer of the Spa and Lobby lies renovated dorm rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed two nights and a day at The Standard. We had high hopes, and will admit they were only half met.

The spa has nice services, albeit overpriced even by New York City standards. But we can see if you have a membership where this is decent value for money. The Hammam Room was a treat as a guest, and the sauna was in the best shape of the services. The steam room was out of commission. And for the heated marble - one can not resist to curl up on that nice warm stone to warm the chilled bones, especially from the weather-ridden NYC of the last few weeks.

The lobby was pleasant enough and looked updated to a good hospitality decor. This space doubled as a cafe. There is a back room that doubles as a private dining room for large groups - used both mornings as such while we were there, but these groups did not hurt the chilled out vibe of the well apointed lobby. Or at least aspects of the architecture that were not the original envelope, which really showed their age. Really a dichotomy between the veneer of new and the historic aspect of the original property. Regarding their notable profit center of the Food & Beverge, there are decent breakfast options, but one can tell this is one of the areas were their money is made.

The reviews about the rooms are all true. All the other members of our group were saying the same items. In a nut shell the historic nature of the facility as a retirement home on the beach was hard to loose. The rooms make me think of an Ikea crash pad - little room for anythig but a bed, no side tables of note - a need for horizontal surfaces for items meant the floor became a defactor surface for most items. If you travel with more than one overnight bag, you were out of luck for room to manuever in the room. There is no place to set up a laptop but there is seating outside in the garden with wifi - thank gosh everyone else seems to be doing the same thing, sans private conversations.

Speaking of noise, we could hear the conversations of the girls behind us when they got back from the club around 1am. Toilet flushing was a common rumbling of noise in the background.

The highlight of the room, was the historic turquoise blue toilet bowl. This reminded me of the minimum renovation nature of the property masking as sustainability, just with a cool colour.

In summary: Scene yes, luxury no.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

768 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

A friend recommended The Standard - she is quirky and original and I can see why she loves this place. As a local you can join the Spa or get Day tickets to use the facilities. This makes it quite different on a Saturday from a weekday when it was quite relaxed and more the kind of experience we were looking for. A hotel more for couples than singles. The Spa is excellent. The service was on the whole good although we had to wait to check in (late at 4pm). Most of the staff were helpful and friendly. Our upgraded room was a surprise - definitely compact and bijou but adequate for our needs. Not luxurious. It fits the more retro feel of the hotel but might not suit all. Other reviews echo this. The Fire Pit was excellent and there were some real highlights - early morning sunrise was gorgeous. Just me and the pool man to experience it. Got some great pics but my daytime pics on Saturday were curtailed when I was asked to not take photos (I don't have a point and press - looks more like a Pro camera). Apparently photos are not encouraged - camera phone OK...oh and someone we'd never heard of (Kanye West??) was in the restaurant.

Overall a great experience and different but parking is expensive and weekdays would be the time to visit to ensure the peace you are looking for can be achieved..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

the standard is my go to hotel when i travel to miami, most often to escape the nyc winter for a long weekend to relax and unwind. I've done all the other hotels in miami throughout the years (w, delano, shore club, mondrian, mandarin oriential, viceroy, the list goes on) and the standard is the best hotel for what i'm looking for when i travel to miami, which is basically: (1) a great pool with good people watching; (2) an amazing spa; and (3) close proximity to the south beach strip, but not close enough to feel like i'm living in a club (been there, done that). and for a city where customer service is often lacking, i've always been more than happy with my experience at the standard. alex lindao in particular is always a pleasure.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I haven't stayed at the Standard Miami since 2011. But after seeing some bad reviews on here for the hotel, I'd like to clarify some things for people considering staying there. When I go to Miami, The Standard is my first choice of hotel. Here's why:

The Standard Miami is:

- More of an overall experience vs. a hotel
- A destination (for Miami locals and travelers) to experience the glorious spa' get zen and blissed out by the pool
- A haven for International and jetsetter types
- A Yoga retreat destination
- Decorated in a very modern, rustic, luxury summer camp for Adults, vibe
- Non judgemental, free, open casual environment
- Hot, sexy getaway for couples
- Pet friendly

The Standard Miami is NOT:

- The right place if you just "need a room"
- For travelers who would rather be in the middle of the South Beach madness
- For people expecting a Pool party vibe a la the W or the Delano - it's more of a European, South of France vibe
- The right place if you are not interested in a spa experience. The perfect day at the Standard Miami is spending it in your robe, alternating from the pool to the spa. Even if you don't get treatments, you can still enjoy the Hamaam room, sauna, etc
- For you if you typically prefer lush, ornate luxurious hotel rooms. The Standard is more utilitarian, understated, simple modern luxury
- For kids

Hope this helps!!

Room Tip: Row of rooms with terraces are the best. Quieter, and feel more like you have your own little cabin.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at The Standard Miami with three colleagues for a trade show. Slightly less than a 1 mile walk to the convention center or a short cab ride. This turned out to be an excellent place to stay. How can you beat a pool and spa after a long day standing. Rooms are clean, pool is fantastic, spa is so relaxing, and the food and drinks were excellent. Left some items at the hotel and they promptly found and shipped back to me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

If you want to chill out at a cool bayside bar, relax by the pool all day, spend a day at a luxurious spa, hang out on the lawn, enjoy delicious food and sample some grown up luxury... This is the perfect spot.
Not pretentious, not very South Beach either. More Euro than USA. Just sublime.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

It's when something goes wrong that the strength of a brand shines through, and certain members of he staff at the Standard New York and Miami really proved that to me this summer. When there was a malfunction with the alarm system at the Standard New York (keeping us up part of the night), the hotel contacted me the next day to offer a free room. When I used it at the Standard Miami, I was upgraded to a better room and, thanks to the kindest and courtesy of the staff, enjoyed one of the relaxing stays I've had in a long history of travel.

I booked a night at the Standard New York on July 4. I got engaged earlier in the day and requested a room with a view of the Hudson River fireworks. Although the person who booked my room was careful to tell me that nothing could be guaranteed, we wound up with a perfect view of the fireworks and I could not have been happier.

Unfortunately, the hotel's alarm malfunctioned later that night, keeping us awake for a few hours. The next day, before I could even reach out to the hotel, they contacted me! Michael at the Standard New York could not have been more apologetic or courteous, and we both agreed that a second chance was only fair.

I have to confess, I now feel lucky we were woken up. When I had a long layover in Miami last month, Michael put me directly in touch with the management of the standard Miami. They set us up with a room right away. When we arrived, Jose was at reception. He not only put as at ease, he upgraded our room, helped us with our bags himself, and generally put us in a great mindset to enjoy our time there. By the time we left, we knew that if we ever lived in Miami, we would be joining the spa.

I am not sure whether Jose knew what had happened in New York. Either way, the efforts of both Michael and Jose have ensured that whenever we have a chance, we will be staying at a Standard again, be it in New York, Miami, or anywhere in the world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Standard Miami? Share your experiences!