My wife and I stayed two nights and a day at The Standard. We had high hopes, and will admit they were only half met.
The spa has nice services, albeit overpriced even by New York City standards. But we can see if you have a membership where this is decent value for money. The Hammam Room was a treat as a guest, and the sauna was in the best shape of the services. The steam room was out of commission. And for the heated marble - one can not resist to curl up on that nice warm stone to warm the chilled bones, especially from the weather-ridden NYC of the last few weeks.
The lobby was pleasant enough and looked updated to a good hospitality decor. This space doubled as a cafe. There is a back room that doubles as a private dining room for large groups - used both mornings as such while we were there, but these groups did not hurt the chilled out vibe of the well apointed lobby. Or at least aspects of the architecture that were not the original envelope, which really showed their age. Really a dichotomy between the veneer of new and the historic aspect of the original property. Regarding their notable profit center of the Food & Beverge, there are decent breakfast options, but one can tell this is one of the areas were their money is made.
The reviews about the rooms are all true. All the other members of our group were saying the same items. In a nut shell the historic nature of the facility as a retirement home on the beach was hard to loose. The rooms make me think of an Ikea crash pad - little room for anythig but a bed, no side tables of note - a need for horizontal surfaces for items meant the floor became a defactor surface for most items. If you travel with more than one overnight bag, you were out of luck for room to manuever in the room. There is no place to set up a laptop but there is seating outside in the garden with wifi - thank gosh everyone else seems to be doing the same thing, sans private conversations.
Speaking of noise, we could hear the conversations of the girls behind us when they got back from the club around 1am. Toilet flushing was a common rumbling of noise in the background.
The highlight of the room, was the historic turquoise blue toilet bowl. This reminded me of the minimum renovation nature of the property masking as sustainability, just with a cool colour.
In summary: Scene yes, luxury no.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard Miami Hotel
- The Standard Miami Hotel Miami Beach
- Standard Miami Beach
- Standard Miami Hotel Beach
- Standard Miami
- Standard Hotel Miami
- Standard Hotel Miami Beach
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on tiny Belle Isle in Biscayne Bay, The Standard, Miami is an indoor and outdoor hydrotherapy playground that fosters stress-free socializing in a tropical, contemporary setting. With a minimalist design, the holistic hydrotherapy spa hotel provides a stylish yet intimate ambience just blocks from the glitz of South Beach's nightlife and celebrity crowd.Owned by hotelier André Balazs, the hotel, winner of Condé Nast Traveler's Readers' Favorite Spa Hotel award, features a one-acre garden with do-it-yourself hydrotherapy-based scrubs, plunges, open-air mud baths, and stunning amenities that include a 103° F Roman Waterfall Hot Tub, a 50° F Arctic Plunge, and a 12-foot Falling Water Column. The 12,500-square-foot spa boasts one of the largest hammams in North America, in addition to an exceptional treatment menu of bodywork, massage, facials, and complementary health alternatives.More than 40 fitness classes are available weekly (including eight types of yoga), and the hotel's restaurants offer healthful Mediterranean coastal cuisine and al fresco dining. The modest guest capacity (a mere 105 rooms) complements the hotel's communal setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your The Standard Miami reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.