“Standard brand really impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Spoiled by the Spa
Ranked #41 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Standard brand really impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

It's when something goes wrong that the strength of a brand shines through, and certain members of he staff at the Standard New York and Miami really proved that to me this summer. When there was a malfunction with the alarm system at the Standard New York (keeping us up part of the night), the hotel contacted me the next day to offer a free room. When I used it at the Standard Miami, I was upgraded to a better room and, thanks to the kindest and courtesy of the staff, enjoyed one of the relaxing stays I've had in a long history of travel.

I booked a night at the Standard New York on July 4. I got engaged earlier in the day and requested a room with a view of the Hudson River fireworks. Although the person who booked my room was careful to tell me that nothing could be guaranteed, we wound up with a perfect view of the fireworks and I could not have been happier.

Unfortunately, the hotel's alarm malfunctioned later that night, keeping us awake for a few hours. The next day, before I could even reach out to the hotel, they contacted me! Michael at the Standard New York could not have been more apologetic or courteous, and we both agreed that a second chance was only fair.

I have to confess, I now feel lucky we were woken up. When I had a long layover in Miami last month, Michael put me directly in touch with the management of the standard Miami. They set us up with a room right away. When we arrived, Jose was at reception. He not only put as at ease, he upgraded our room, helped us with our bags himself, and generally put us in a great mindset to enjoy our time there. By the time we left, we knew that if we ever lived in Miami, we would be joining the spa.

I am not sure whether Jose knew what had happened in New York. Either way, the efforts of both Michael and Jose have ensured that whenever we have a chance, we will be staying at a Standard again, be it in New York, Miami, or anywhere in the world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Aside from the hip decor and the beautiful grounds, the thing that makes this place a gem is the fantastic personalized service. I stayed here for 3 nights for a business trip in miami. The bed was comfortable, the room clean, the linens soft. But the thing that made my stay memorable was the kindness of the staff, especially the on-duty manager Jose Carrillo. There was a misunderstanding regarding my reservation which was brought to my attention via telephone on my way home from work. When I met Jose on the property, he explained the situation and offered me a solution. He did all the work for me. It just made me happy. Happy enough to sit down and write a review which I have never done before.

I definitely think you should stay at they standard. The environment is lively and hip but the staff is old school - great, personalized service. Thanks Jose!

Room Tip: Rooms on the outsides of the property are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

First and foremost, the Standard emphasises, correctly, that they're a "Spa" rather than just an hotel. Arriving at the hotel you don't quite understand where you're getting at: a one-floor complex that extends along a palm tree lane with a very unpretentious entrance and lobby area. Right then you realise you're somewhere else - not South Beach! The overall look of the hotel is island-like i.e. you don't feel you're in a big city. Everything is natural and organic, very clean, very tastefully decorated. The staff was always extremely courteous and helpful and quickly reacted to our [several] caprices. We stayed at a "large wet terrace room".... which does sound a lot better than what its.... and the guys from the hotel web site did a great job with the photos. The room sports a terrace with an outside bathtub that we didn't quite get its purpose.... specially because the whole place has so many hideouts and great places to chill, that we found that space totally wasted. Then again, the room was extremely comfortable, clean, and always well done. Everything worked perfectly and we slept like babies. The food at the Lido restaurant is interesting, yet not remarkable. Breakfasts are probably their best option. The room service options were way too limited, but then again, you're less than a mile away from Lincoln Road and all of South Beach's amenities. The Spa is really great stuff and the outside pool area is also a fantastic place to chill and spend your afternoon. Overall, we liked our experience here a LOT. Will go back!

Moore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband graciously let me select this hotel for our birthday weekend in Miami because of the beautiful website descriptions and photos. I was so excited! He preferred to stay closer to the beach for the price we were paying, but he couldn't say no! This is 1 time I wish he had said no...

Upon arrival, (Late night check-in) I had to double check the address because the pictures looked much more glamorous than the old, dirty, outdated building I saw sitting in front of me. But, convinced my $400.00/a night purchase would pay off once we got inside, we let the rude valet guy take our car away. The lady checking us in was very nice, that's pretty much the only good thing I can say about the place. We walked to our room, and immediately noticed the "garden tub" I had paid extra for thrown out on a roach covered wooden patio. Not the privacy I had expected for my relaxing baths since you could see straight through to the neighbors garden tub because of the sheer drapery separating the patios. I knew I wouldn't be as comfortable and relaxed as expected since there was no privacy and you certainly needed to be clothed!

And we continued on, looking for a bright side, and see why in the world we were paying $400/night! I can't even explain how shocked we were when we walked into the room. I have closets bigger than the entire room. I cannot even say enough about how cheaply decorated it was...I do not even know where you guy things like that. So, after serious discussions, we called the front desk. The did show us a "larger, upgraded room" which was the exact same thing, maybe 30ft larger, without the gross garden tub and roach patio. We opted not to look at any other rooms and begged for our money back. Thankfully, they allowed us to check out and refunded our money...eventually. (More details to come) The nice lady checking us out said they have people who check in and realize it wasn't what they thought it would be all the time! (Good to know, maybe consider doing something about it!) She also mentioned that the rooms are lacking because they encourage people to be out of their rooms and participating in other activities at the resort. Here's the thing, if they want you out of your room to spend more money at their spa, restaurants, bar, etc, why in the world are you paying $400/a night for a borderline hostel like "hotel" room?!?!

And now it gets even better...after keeping an over $800.00 hold on our credit card for a week, I had to call Karine in accounting to get it released. Now, keep in mind, we attempted to stay there over a month ago, and for the past week, I have been getting charges from The Standard Hotel and The Standard Hotel/Dining. I called Karine again, she apologized and assured me it must be an error and they have no fraudulent activity taking place with their employees using our card info. She also assured me she would credit our card that day and do an investigation on this issue. Apparently not because I just had to cancel our credit card because she DID NOT credit us back and we have gotten more charges.

PLEASE LOOK AT THESE PHOTOS AND READ THE BAD REVIEWS ON HERE. THEY HAVE SOME SERIOUS ISSUES. WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Nikki S,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your brief visit with us. I apologize if your experience was anything less than perfect. We understand that our style and culture is not for everyone. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had with your billing situation. As I am aware, the charges have been refunded and they no longer appear on your statement. Once again, Nikki I truly apologize for any inconvenience and I assure you this is not something that is reflective of our values at the Standard Spa.
Pembroke, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I hadn't stayed at this hotel before. The hotel entrance and sign needs updating. The lobby is small but clean. They got me into my room before typical checkin time. The room was very small. I think it's 250 sq ft. There's no desk or chair, so I sat on my bed to work on my laptop. There is a small closet with mini bar. The bathroom is very small. The TV is also very small and not many channels to choose from.
The spa was awesome but a bit hard to navigate. The spa is on the 3rd floor which you have to take a old, tired elevator to get there. The lockers and gym are on the 2nd floor which you also have to take an elevator to. The steam room, showers and hammas are amazing. I had a massage with Cesar and it was the BEST!!
The best part of the hotel is it's location. The pool overlooks the ocean. Beautiful boats and jet skis go by and it's so relaxing!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
mel_dorman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have never stayed at The Standard before. I have only visited the pool. Let me start by saying that this was far different from any other Standard or anything else in South Beach. I enjoy the nightlife as much as anyone else but I was really glad to be a little away from it all.

The hotel itself is cozier and much more intimate than some of the giants on the beach and the staff is amazing. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and there are so many hidden areas to sit and relax. I really felt like I was in Costa Rica or something.

At check-in I was greeted by Frank and Natalie, who were both super helpful. There was a small mix-up with some info that my office faxed ahead of time but it was quickly resolved by Natalie. From there, Alex guided me through the property and told me all about the spa and complimentary hot rooms. My room had a private patio with an outdoor soaking tub which was to die for! It broke my heart that I could only stay for a couple of nights.

The pool is at the top of my list though. It doesn't get much better than overlooking the water with a cocktail in hand. Even the pool staff was wonderful. Nikko crafted the most delicious drink and I lounged until I couldn't lounge anymore.

It was truly luxurious and I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Get that private patio!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

If yoga classes and esoteric spas are your thing, this is a hotel for you. This hotel does not offer anything you would expect from a Miami Beach vacation - and this was not a good thing for us. It is really out of the way and offers no views of the beach. The rooms can get quite noisy because people get up early to head to their various yoga classes. The person who checked us in seemed really confused and didn't even know if he could give us a map. Really overpriced for what you get,

Dear Traveller1425,
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent thoughts. Our hotel is located bayside on beautiful belle isle a few blocks away from the hustle of South Beach and is centered on Mediterranean bathing rituals. I sincerely apologize for the inability of our team to get you the correct map and point you in the right direction. This is certainly an exception to the style of service we extend to all of our guests. We hope you will give us another try for your next spa centered vacation.

Been to The Standard, Miami? Share your experiences!