“Great Location” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   928 Ocean Dr, 2nd Floor, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The location is fantastic. You are right on Ocean Drive and all you had to do is cross the street and you are on the beach.

When I booked this hostel it described our room as private however a few days after I booked it we learned we had to walk through another groups room in order to get to ours. Also we shared a bathroom with this other group. This would have been okay except there was no shower curtain around the tub so EVERYTHING was perpetual wet.

Also the "wall" separating the two rooms stop short of the ceiling by a foot so sound travelled quite easily.

Besides this, for the price of staying in south beach and the convenience of it's location is was an okay experience. There is a kitchen and hot tub we never got around to using but those could make a travelers experience better.

Room Tip: Just be forewarned that the "private" rooms may not be very private
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Conselheiro Lafaiete, MG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I went to Miami for two or three days on my way to Davenport and I had a good experience at this hostel. The staff was kind and very helpful. We had free breakfast till 10am and it was quite good. The atmosphere of the lobby was awesome, cable tv, free Wi-Fi, kind people. The hostel is quite modern and well finished. The entrance is a bit weird, especially at night. Some parties are held on the roof top, there is free barbecue in the evening...pretty cool, actually. My friends and I shared a room with other people. The room was okay, pretty comfortable beds and, the A/C was always working. We had a problem in our room, cuz one of the guys in the room had his cell phone stolen. It was found in a guy's backpack right in the room. There was a guy in the room who was always bringing alcohol into the room, which was forbidden. We registered a complaint and he was told to leave the hostel. (We believe the cell phone thing was kind of a joke played by this man) I strongly recommend that you buy a good padlock and place your belongings in one of the lockers. The location is awesome, right on Ocean Drive...There are lots of bars, discos, restaurants where u can hv fun, right in front of South Beach, I would definitely go back there anytime!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The Deco Walk Hostel is directly across Ocean Drive from the beach-located SCOPE tent. At $50 per night, I expected it would be booked to the gills. It wasn't. I reserved a spot in a 6-bed all-women room, and only one other adult woman was there.

It's been awhile since I stayed in a hostel, and this was my first hostel experience in the U.S.

Late at night, a friend and I returned to play pool on the rooftop. The cues are worn out but we still had fun.
Don't go for the 2-for-1 drink specials at the adjacent businesses -- one costs $50, as a friend learned the hard way.

Room Tip: I was in the building across the alley which would have been okay if the young security guards had n...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Now I'm not sure if we were simply unlucky but it was one negative after another during our stay. We were a group of 4 girls travelling together but because our dates were sightly different we booked as two groups. Upon booking, our single booker called the hostel to explain our situation and ask if she could be put in a room with the rest of us (she was staying 5 nights, us 7). We were told this wasn't guaranteed but they would try their best. Upon arrival we were told this wasn't possible. This was fine apart from the fact our single friend was placed in a 12 bed dorm, of all men (they eventually moved her after we protested that she didn't feel comfortable) whilst we were placed across some dodgy alley way in a separate building in a room with a door that looked like someone had previously tried to break down. The point we didn't understand was that there were 3 empty beds in our room, but we were told our friend couldn't move over, not even just until the other beds would be occupied. On our 2nd night we were then told we would have to move because they were overbooked. Again, not a big deal, they managed to move us into the main building so we felt a lot safer. However it was very apparent they knew we'd have to move all along. Very annoying they hadn't just told us this as we'd already unpacked. We did complain about this, and were compensated with one shot, not exactly great compensation but hey. On our last day we came back to find one of our parties stuff had all been moved and someone was in her bed. The guy who had moved us (he was actually the only decent and helpful guy there) had not informed us we were allocated specific beds. The hostel then treated this as our fault after we complained yet again and the way the manager spoke to us was absolutely appalling!!! The girl whose stuff it was got very upset about this and whilst she was on Skype to her parents explaining what had happened she was basically told to shut up by staff for "disturbing the other guests"...With the exception of one man (who was incredibly helpful and lovely, he also hated the manager and didn't hold back on telling us this) all the men there are so smarmy and creepy and leery. I definitely wouldn't advise sunbathing on the roof in a bikini unless you want to be constantly leered at by creepy old maintenance men. Whilst the hostel itself is nice and clean and the free breakfast and wifi are a bonus, I would not recommend staying there unless you enjoy the worlds worst customer service. Terrible!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bowie, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

There was a crew installing lights in the ceiling when we got to the main reception area, it was also very crowded. We waited 30 min. to be checked in and it took f o r e v e r. A girl with glasses and different colored hair seemed to be doing “something” on her lap top, but didn’t look like she was any help while a guy was trying to check people in. What slowed the whole process was that they had to share a printer and all those checking-in had to have their ID’s scanned and printed…this also included the kids identification as well. There also were several forms to fill out (yes, every person staying in the room, including the kids had to fill one out), it seemed to me an insane process for check-in. Grant it, I have never stayed in a Hostel before, first time, so this may be the process for all of them, just seemed crazy to me.

Then this other guy, grabs enough top sheets, bottom sheets and one towel per person and you follow him….if the “other guy” isn’t available, the only guy working the front desk had to do this and therefore disappears for a while to get the people he was checking in settled in their room, which meant more of a delay for those still waiting…a very frustrating and annoying way to start a vacation.

We finally got our sheets and towels and were led to our room which was down the elevator, through a hall, then outside through an alley, cross the alley way then through a gate to another building. You have a key for the gate, which never locks, the front door, the door to your room. ---which by the way, when we came back from dinner that night, our door was wide open so not sure of how well the locks are or how many master keys there are. (nothing taken, thank God)

The room was so tiny (we had rented the 6 bunk bed private bathroom) there was just enough room for one person to walk to the door with another person side stepping to give them room, it was cramped for 6 people. The bottom bunk, was on the floor and a bit difficult to get in and out of. The top bunk was very high and also difficult to get up to and down from. It was NOT AS PICTURED AT ALL!! As you walked through the door, the 3 and 3 bunk beds were to your left…all of them, in a row, then there was a huge trash can and a small table, a chair and small tiny lockers tall enough to place a cup standing with a little room to spare and deep enough for maybe a sweater….not much room at all. In fact, if I hadn’t been sharing with family, I would have had a real problem with the set up. We kept telling ourselves we just needed it for the night and it was clean and across the street from the beach. We had to put shoes outside the door since there was no place to put them where someone on the bottom bunk wouldn’t be smelling feet all night or be tripping over them in the bathroom…it was very small.

The bathroom was the most spacious with a clean shower, plenty of hot water, good pressure and the beds were comfortable and clean. The location was the best, just across from the beach and all restaurants’ you could want all around. You will have to pay a room key deposit, extra taxes and an extra hostel hotel fee so what you pay on-line is not it…add about another $22.00 to that. Also add about 45min. to your check-out time, that’s how long it took us to check out. BTW you will have to bring back all the sheets and towels with you when you check out, no one mentioned this to us and having to wait so long to check out, then having to go back down to the other building and get our sheets and come back was irritating. I can’t believe no one in the last couple of pages of reviews mentioned that the private 6 bunk bedrooms were sooooo tiny or I would have looked elsewhere. Also written was that dinner was included as well as lunch and breakfast. We tried breakfast but that was only bagels and coffee, so don’t plan on much, that’s all we tried.
During the night there were people coming and going, yelling and having fun through this metal gate that slams shut on its own so that kept us up most of the night until about 4:00 a.m.

Would I book again, NO….but the location was perfect and it was clean, I’m just too old for that type of accommodation, only did it cuz I was trying to meet everyone’s budget while still staying within walking distance to the beach and restaurants. BTW, it is a $20.00 cab ride for 6 people (4 Adults 2 kids) in a van taxi to the Port of Miami if cruising like we were and $33.00 flat rate cab fare from the airport to the Hostel on South Beach. There will be people that will walk up on you asking if you need a cab, don’t take the first one unless it’s what you want to pay, we were told $70 to South Beach from the airport, but it’s supposed to be a flat rate fee so take a yellow cab with a meter. Then when we were leaving someone offered their unmarked van for $40 to the Port, I didn’t think we were that far so I said no, glad I did cuz we found a yellow van cab with meter for $20, Also, not all yellow cabs are honest either so ask a rate before you get in, if they say “it’s on the meter” I think that would be ok….one yellow taxi van wanted $60 to the Port from South Beach, we told him to keep driving.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
mikeo856, Manager at Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We're glad you enjoyed some of our great amenities. Safe travels!
Everywhere
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you can ask for a bottom bunk, do it. It was a bit difficult to go back and forth on the top top bunk honestly. Bring a lock to lock up your purses or valuable belongings just incase. A lot of people from outside the US were here. I went to Miami solo and a lot of people my age (around 20-24) were at the Hostel too. The dinner was fine, was nice it was free. I came to the hostel to save a bit of money because I would be out all night long anyways. The staff are very funny too. Remember, this room has 6 bunks or more. People come in all through the night, if you need sleep. I wouldn't particularly recommend this hostel. There's 1 bathroom for 6-12 people. Also, bring crappy sandals so you can shower and walk around in them and a blanket. They provide blankets but I don't know how much they wash them. Good location too.

Room Tip: Ask for bottom bunk if you can.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Overall, this hostel was good for our 2 day stay in miami beach.Great location - right across from the beach, smack dab on ocean drive. Dorms were clean, staff was friendly. Can't say much about the breakfasts because they had no cups left when I tried to get coffee and most of the food was done.I must say that with the new management they have turned the 6 bed dorms into 12 bed dorms. i booked a 6 bed dorm on hostelworld only to get there and see one room divided by a partition with 6 beds on each side, with only one bathroom! A few folks left because of this. Plus they had 3 stack bunks. I couldn't climb to the top bunk; it was just too high up...as in right up to the ceiling. I asked for another bed and they were happy accomodate me. Would visit again

Room Tip: Be specific and ask for a 6 bed dorm with it's own bathroom and if you cant climb to the top bun...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
mikeo856, Manager at Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for the review and feedback. We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!

Been to Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club? Share your experiences!