“Big up deco walk!!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   928 Ocean Dr, 2nd Floor, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
UK
“Big up deco walk!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I spent weeks counting down down the days to hitting up miami. I simply couldn't wait to get to deco walk, and yell from the rooftop lmfao's famous words. How lucky were we to find a hostel promising to have it all?! Ocean views, dinner and continental breakfast, rooftop parties... the fun never ends at deco walk. When we arrived there was a large group of people gathered around the wall down the side of the hostel, they wish they had bagged a bed a deco walk hostel, I assumed. I was impressed then, and even more impressed after we made our way through. The alleyway was nothing compared to inside.... deco walk was a paradise of a never ending supply of towels blankets and pillows, bunkbeds, bagels, a spacy elevator, working showers, one day dinners and service with a smile. Our first night was by far my favourite, like vip's we stayed in the back building through a high-tech gate and away from the regular punters. That first night, we made friends in our sleep... literally. Deco walk is such a friendly place, the staff especially. After a few nights it felt like we were part of the team. Could have handed me a staff t-shirt and I would have known what to do! There's no place like deco walk. We'll be sure to come back and visit if we're ever in Miami!xo

Room Tip: Room 7!! It's got brand new locks, tried and tested. If you're a real daredevil you can book...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
mikeo856, Manager at Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you very much for the 5 star rating! We really appreciate it. Glad to hear you had a blast! Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

When looking to book a hostel in Miami, Deco Walk seemed like the obvious choice! Boasting Ocean front views and two meals included, for such a small price. How could we say no? After weeks of letting the excitement build we had very high expectations, and boy were they met! Our first night involved being led down through a lovely alleyway to a spacious room with an adequate number of mattresses, pillows and blankets. The staff helped us get settled in an offered their assistance with anything they could. They weren't rude at all and genuinely seemed interested in helping us. The next day we changed rooms as a few more friends decided to stay with us. Our new room was equally as nice with a door that didn't require staff members to climb over in order to open it. The breakfast was great with a large range of freshly toasted bagels! But the staff is where this hostel really shines. I'm not exactly sure what the hiring process is here but I think one of the requirements is to be a model. They also had the best sense of humor ;) After a few nights Deco Walk truely felt like home and it was so hard to leave knowing that the endless rooftop parties would carry on with out us. Miss you already! <3

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for the 5 star rating! We really appreciate it. Glad to hear you had a blast! Thanks for the compliments regarding our staff :)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I DO NOT recommend this hostel. At All. They still peoples' stuff.
Nobody likes to their stuff stolen. And i am no exception. And no matter what value it is, the matter should be taken very seriously.
In a matter of ten minutes, someone stole my bottle of soda.
When signaled to the management, they didn't care much about my concern. But instead made me look stupid for speaking out about "just a bottle of soda".
They didn't wanna go over the camera saying that it didn't need to be just for a "bottle of soda".
To me, it is a matter of principle. Not a matter of value.
Worse, it could be anyone. Employes or guests.
By not investigating by looking at the camera recordings, they agree to allow the same person to do the same thing all over again.
I am really pissed of and i will never return to that hostel.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this. Not sure what transpired with your bottle of soda, but will take your advice to check the cameras. We would have been happy to replace your bottle of soda had we known.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Deco Walk for 3 nights while visiting South Beach. I have to say the location can't be beat, especially for the price. Right across from the beach in the middle of all the action on Ocean Drive and much cheaper than a hotel in the same area. I thought the rooftop bar/lounge area was pretty cool although we didn't use it very often. Also the staff, mainly the two guys at the front desk who's names I can't remember were really helpful and friendly.

Honestly the only thing I really had a problem with was the bathroom. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have only ONE bathroom for 12 females but it was NOT a good idea. I felt like I spent most of my time in the room just waiting to get into the bathroom and some roommates weren't always considerate about how much time they were taking. Also there was only one outlet in our side of the dorm so that was an inconvenience. Other than that I really have nothing bad to say about Deco Walk. I'd definitely stay there again but probably in a private room or a dorm with less beds.

Room Tip: If you can book a 4 person suite or private room I'd recommend it, just because of the bathroom...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your comments and thank you for the tip!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Even though there were 12 of us in 2 six bed rooms, I had a great time. Yes, there is only one bathroom for 12 people but it did not pose a problem. Everyone was courteous and did not hog the bathroom. The ages of the woman was 20 years old up to 71 years old. One of the women in the room was a salsa instructor and all of us crowded into one room and we learned to dance salsa. The music came from her laptop. We then went to the hottest club in town called MANGOS (a few doors down) and we danced the night away! Also, there was a young woman from Japan whose luggage was lost during her flight. Everyone chipped in and gave her clothes to wear including toiletries and we took her out for a night on the town. I called the airport the next day after she tried without success to get someone to help her. I talked to airline staff and finally escalated my call and asked for a manager This was well after the first 24 hours when they kept telling her they did not know where her luggage was. We joined hands and prayed together and asked Jesus to find her luggage. Her luggage arrived at the hostel just 5 hours later. Prayer is always an option and I think it also helped that someone spoke good English to them. I believe when someone does not know the English language too well, the airport personnel may not take that customer seriously. We also demanded of them to find her bag because there was something in it that was critical and that we needed immediately (which was her toothbrush :)). One 48 year old woman from France did not speak English so I took her sightseeing with me and all the women included her in the activities even though she was very shy and was hesitant to go with us. When two younger women arrived 2 nights later and I heard them speak English and French, I woke her up and yelled, "your people are here!!!! They speak French!!!! She rolled over in her bed , looked startled, and I kept saying French, French, French and pointed to the two women. I told them to say something in French and when they did, she bounced out of bed and started speaking French to them immediately. She was so excited that we all had to laugh. She literally talked to them for hours and smiled the entire time! I guess the dead can really come back to life....all you need is someone who speaks the same language! Anyway, these are just a few examples of the great time we all had. We were strangers at first but became a family right away. We immediately embraced each newcomer and hugged those who left to travel elsewhere. We shared our email addresses and we all really had a great time! We have already started emailing each other! I am over 50 years old and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I haven't this much fun since my college days. We laughed constantly and worked through the language barriers. We shared clothes, shoes, and toiletries like lotion and shampoo and made sure we were all having a great time. Our room was clean, we felt safe, the staff was great and we appreciated being alive, happy and in Miami!!! Thanks Decowalk Hostel. I will certainly return!

Room Tip: If you ask for a room at the end of the hallway which is at the rear of the building and further awa...
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for a couple of weeks while going around South Florida. For the money and the location the hostel is awesome, there is a chill rooftop bar and lounge with jacuzzi and pool table that gives you a sweet view of Ocean Drive and the Ocean itself across the street. They play good music and its just a great hangout spot before hitting the strip of Ocean Drive. The hostel itself is clean and modern with great staff you feel like you are in one of the coolest places in South Beach, plus its right on the ocean who can beat that? The entire staff is accommodating and really chill they are always asking if you need anything and are very respectful of your space. The rooms are interesting its 12 people with a wall dividing the room with 6 beds in each room, with one shared bathroom. At first I thought it was going to be a bad experience, but it was not. Most people get up early and head out or sleep in so getting a shower in and having the room to yourself at times is more than possible while others are out. IF you dont like your room the staff are more then willing to find you a more suitable bed. Overall great experience, loved it and spent a lot of time on the roof it was great.

Room Tip: Surprising all the rooms are quiet despite all of the club surround the hostel, try to get a bottom...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed for a night, twas awesome. The location is awesome: in front of the beach and near all the happening places (clubs, restos, etc). The hostel rooms are decent and the bathrooms are not that dirty. Been to some hostels in Europe and Deco Walk is cleaner than them. The rooftop lounge is awesome, nice to sober up there and meet random people (locals and other travellers). I honestly spent more on drinks and parking, the prices are def reasonable. Wish they had something like a 3 bars, 1 night type of deal.. where you can pay a set amount to go to 3 different clubs with other groups of people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for the 5 star rating! We really appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon.

Been to Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club? Share your experiences!