“The best!” 5 of 5 stars

Rockville, Maryland
“The best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The best!

I cannot imagine a better hostel in a better location. It was once a fancy hotel and it shows: an elegant lobby with a 50 foot ceiling and windows overlooking the ocean, fancy corridor lights, well equipped bathrooms etc. and, above it all, the best location between 9th and 10th Street on Ocean Drive, the hottest spot in Miami beach. It offers hotel luxury at hostel prices.

I have kept returning to Deco Walk over the years and was amazed this time by the expensive upgrades made by the new owner: brand new floors everywhere, a modernized lobby with pale beige leather sofas lining three walls, an all white French kitchen equipped with high end cabinets/cook top/freezer/refrigerators, key cards to the rooms etc...A free barbecue is offered every night, weather permitting, on the terrace which covers the top of the entire building. It has a 360 degree view on the ocean and city, a huge projector screen, a Jaccuzi, numerous seating arrangements, umbrellas, a bar etc. And there are more upgrades in the making. The dorm beds are brand new and comfortable. The air conditioning works well. The staff is very friendly, efficient, and hard working; Brad and Patrick are such great assets.
It is well worth the detour wherever you are.

Room Tip: I like the two rooms overlooking ocean drive. Ocean Drive is noisy but insulation is very good and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
mikeo856, Owner at Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review on your stay with us! We appreciate the feedback and the 5 star rating! Hope to see you soon. Safe travels!

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

After moving from another awful hostel in South Beach, Deco Walk surpassed all of my expectations.
First impressions are nice the front is modern and impressive. It's above a yoghurt bar undergoing construction so when you enter the side door men were working but this caused us no disruption at all.
Upon on arrival a member if staff helped us with our luggage there is an elevator but it was out of service.
We stayed in room 2, all of their 6 bed dorms are really 12 bed dorms split by a door so you could share with up to 12 people, don't let this out you off it was kept clean throughout our stay.
The location is right on Ocean Drive the focal feature of South Beach :)
The rooms were kept immaculate and the beds were comfy, one of the nicest pillows out of all of the hostels I've tried !
The terrace was lovely only $6 for a cocktail plus buy one get one free for South Beach that's a dream!
Overall really great place to stay! Excellent in to wifi too :)

• Stayed May 2013
mikeo856, Owner at Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Natalie,

Thank you for the review. Glad we were able to salvage your trip and hope you had a blast in South Beach!
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is a modern hostel in a deco building in South Beach. It is located close to an airport bus stop, And has a fantastic location as you can walk across ocean drive and your on the beach. The room was a bit small but was clean and secure. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
mikeo856, Owner at Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thanks for your review! Hope to see you back soon! Safe travels!
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I wasn't impressed with this hostel (I was in room #10). I was only there for 2 days & I stayed in the co-ed mixed dorm for 6 people. Here are the key points I'd like to make:

The Good:
1-The location is VERY IDEAL if you are interested in staying in the heart of South Beach. Although you are directly on the strip, it is very quiet inside the hostel itself
2-The atmosphere is nice-you don't have to walk far to get anything
3-The staff is very friendly & extremely helpful
4-The hostel itself is clean
5-The rooftop provides a great view of South Beach! The jacuzzi looked nice, but there was NO way I was getting in that thing (it looked dirty) & during my entire stay I never saw one person utilize it

The Not so Good:
1-The 6 person room is actually inside another 6 person room so it's not truly a 6 person room (moreso like a large room with a door separating the 12 (6 & 6)
2-The bathtub in our room was horrible! It wasn't clean at all & it smelled of mildew. Also, there is not a shower door-more like a clear 1/2 glass --so be mindful of that
3-The breakfast is not a breakfast-it's more like toast (the cheap dollar white bread) & juice & coffee. I was expecting much more from the other reviews I read, however I didn't even bother once I saw what they were offering
4-The thin blankets they were offering for covers reeked of must---I'm not sure if they were just not cleaned well, but I didn't use them-I just slept with the sheets they provided

I think that was/is about it. Overall, i would not stay here again. Every hostel is different & each one is an experience, however this one, I will not stay at again.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back of the building are the most quiet (I was in room #10)--however all the rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
mikeo856, Owner at Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your review- you really listed out some our best qualities, and for that we appreciate it. For the not so good, our room layouts are just that, as you described and referenced on our website, but there are private rooms available too. We do have new housekeeping staff and all rooms have been through a detailed cleaning. We hope tyou remember the good times with us and try us again!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

‘You cannot dream of better place than Deco Walk’. This is what locals and tourists would tell me about that hostel before staying there. I was already visiting a friend in Downtown Miami when I decided to be closer to that sparkling Miami Beach fun atmosphere. Deco Walk helped me being in the middle of it. I write about travels for different publications and when it comes to get the best traveling tips, I always turn myself into the Indiana Jones of holidays. So before getting to Deco I conducted my survey and many people all agreed on my first statement.

As I took the elevator to reach the lobby, I entered a beautifully designed lounge with leather contemporary sofas placed alongside a long window offering a superb view on the most famous drive of Miami. The high end plasma hung on the wall proved that Deco walk was also about déco. Those vacationers chillaxing on those sofas seemed like buddies hanging out at a friend’s living room, who had supa cool interior design’s tastes. I could hear laughters in the background. Holiday mates were actually happy here. I didn’t imagine that it was only the beginning of happiness. As I approached the front desk person Jon who welcomed me with a huge smile. Halima, his colleague standing by his side, was the same reflection of Jon; another happy smile. C’est magnifique all these super friendly people!

The dorm’s bedspace’s price was very descent for what I’ve yet seen of the hostel. Some had cooked their own food and came to seat at the lounge bar table. Happy as always. I almost asked someone to pinch me just to see if I was not dreaming because this place was just too good to be true but Déco was real. Even the boss was very warm, helpful and hospitable. He definitely got the know-how to make us feel comfortable.

I finally checked in and as soon as I stepped in my room, I made new friends right away and we went to a pool party, da kinda of party you see in music videos. I also heard that you could stay in mixed dorms if you wanted. Most of those ‘mixed’ dorm mates would end up friends going to the beach, parties or restaurants all together. Déco Walk is the kind of place you make unforgettable happy memories with old and new friends. After my day spent in that music video, we decided to discover the rooftop for the free night BBQ party. Its design was the perfected version of the lounge with a bar added to it, around which the holiday mates and party promoters were sipping a drink and sharing party tips.

Few happy memories and a night after/away, some staff came in my room to clean it up with the same attention of trouver une image sympa. I had slept enough to see them come. I woke up at 2pm. Hey, have I told you that when I checked in, I asked Jon to give me the quietest room for a grandma like me? lol. Well, I had to catch up on sleep, and I had planned a huge sleeping program between the parties, the beach, the bicycle riding and the eating outs. I called myself a grandma but if Jon knew I had my first Jacuzzi party on the rooftop… If you want to know more about it, you can always follow me on twitter #samiramesbahi, because if Jon gets to know, he’d never give me my ‘grandma room’ back in case I return to Deco Walk, and I’ll definitely do.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

There are only 2 good things about this hostel...1) The location, right on Ocran Drive literally a 2min walk to Miami South beach 2) Rooftop bar.
However this hostel is a shambles! Constant construction ment disturbance throughout the day. Often they closed off the lobby which is the only place to chill! The rooftop is awesome however it is never busy as management have no idea how to promote it therefore not really a "party" hostel.
The dorms are not 6 bed rooms they have 12 beds and a "false" wall to separate to make it 6x6. Ironically the night staff were the most friendly and awesome some of the day staff seemed clueless & miserable.
Not cheap and their main focus is purely to take your money.
This hostel does not have a good vibe. Would not stay here again. Miami Hostel eventhough it is alittle further away is so much better

• Stayed April 2013
mikeo856, Manager at Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Tanya,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - the good and the bad. You'll be glad to know the construction is over! The parties are great too - check out our facebook page for recent photos. We even can get you into clubs like Mansion and Liv if you check us out in the near future!
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Unfortnately i'd stayed at another hostel the previous night and had done a trip to Key West which meant I didn't check in at the hostel til 2am ...went back out til 4am slept and then left at 10:30. Of course during this time i didn't get to experience much of the facilities but the staff were really friendly with a great sense of humour, the other guests were friendly, inviting me out as soon as i arrived, the room was comfortable and clean and the price was very fair. The location is great, right on Ocean Drive and 2 doors down from Mango's!

Room Tip: If you get the top bunk (they are stacked in 3's) mind your head when you wake up ;-)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for the review! Traveling with you sounds like fun!

Been to Deco Walk Hostel | Beach Club? Share your experiences!