“BEWARE THIEFS in the maintenance people” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Westgate Miami Beach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Miami Beach
Westgate Miami Beach
16701 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33160   |
Ranked #164 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago Illinois
“BEWARE THIEFS in the maintenance people”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

We decided to exchange our beautiful time share in Embassy Maui resort for this one because it would expire. The hotel is very average and getting old, needs remodeling which they are doing on a daily basis and you can hear it.
The timeshare sales people were contacting us on a daily basis, which was not necessary because we already have one. Anyway we had to attend their party. The pool is very small, warm once in a while so we could get wet even when the weather was not that great.
The third day we left the room to go to the beach and my husband accidently left the wallet in the room, we were gone for about 45 minutes.
When we came back, the wallet was gone with 300 bucks cash. I was afraid that something like this might happen and refused daily maintenance in our room. This was the first day when I asked them to come and clean.
when we appoached the teller and security, the outcome was futile.
This kind of ruined our mood at this hotel and we decided to go to Orlando for the remainder of the trip!
About 4 month later, the wallet was mailed to us , of course with the cash missing.
It was found in the local mailbox by the mailman who when we called him said he does finds wallets there on occasion...

I think everyone should be aware of this, because it obviously happens veryfrequently and the thief is still employed beside the theft reports. They can track down the suspect if they care, because they know exactly which personnel enters the room by card they use. But they didn't get very upset when we complained. To keep the things quiet they offered transfer to another resort for extra fee. The best they could get us was 150 speciall for 3 days in Orlando Westgate resort. When we got there we found out that the special was only if we attend time share again. My husband set time around 8am to go to time share presentation. He went alone because me being 6 mos pregnant and with 18 months old I thought it was OK if we don't go. He was attacked by the time share personel that if we don't show there all of us we lose the special and we have to pay 300 per night.
I complained again, but they didn't care. So we all had to attend the earliest time share presentation the next day around 6.30 - 7.00am at our last day there in order to avoid very high fees.

• Stayed December 2004

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
SoCo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

As a Westgate owner, I have always been pleased with the Westgate Resorts we have either traded out for or stayed at. This one is really just a Hotel masquerading as a "condo" timeshare.

Our "two bedroom" one bath "villa" was really a hotel room with one full bedroom, one bedroom that had a pocket door sliding to close it off from the "living room", which consisted of a loveseat-sized couch and a coffee table that bumped into the "breakfast" counter. The couch converted into a murphy sofa bed that took up the entire room, problematic if you have to use the bathroom during the night, that was located on the OPPOSITE side of each bedroom.

Oh the joys of crawling over someone sleeping in order to make it to the bathroom.

The "kitchenette" was a joke. I think it had a microwave and dorm size refrigerator hidden away in a cabinet. All I really remember was a 2 person/4 cup coffee maker for a "villa" that could ideally sleep 6 people. Oh yes! And the titled counter that you could sit at ONLY if you moved the cocktail table away from the sofa. And the stools were almost the same height as the counter so if you did try to sit there, it was like having a lap tray instead of a counter to work at.

The pool area was ok, if you didn't mind the 7:00 am - 5:00 pm construction work that was going on OVERHEAD. I didn't have much faith in the "netting" that was supposed to catch construction debris. Better to sit down by the ocean on the beach.

Breakfast buffet was reasonably priced, but we had to wait 20 minutes for ALL fresh food to be prepared and brought out to the steamers.

Gratuity is included in ALL the "in house" restaurants and bars, so, needless to say, service is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW! I mean, even when we went TO the bar for soft drinks, you had to wait in line for 10-15 minutes. For a COKE!

You have to pay $5 per day for self parking or $10 per day for valet parking. It's worth the extra $5 to go for the valet. Also, there is a $3 or $5 a day "resort activity" fee that is mandatory - this is so you can get the paper every day, have extra amenities at the resort like the jet ski vendor, etc.

The plus side was the place was clean, nobody bothered us to buy a timeshare, the ocean was beautiful and you could buy wireless internet access for $10 a day or $22.00 for 3 days.

This resort would be best for a couple or a couple with small children that plans on eating out all the time. NO WAY do 4 adults fit comfortably here and there is not enough living space in the "living room." Other than the couch, the only other seating were those dorky counter stools.

I'd say this is more of a hotel than a "villa" room/suite.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2005

I stayed at this resort on April 16th. We arrived about 01:00 pm and were happy to hear that our suite was ready. The suite was very spacious and had two bedrooms and then a couch/pull down bed and coffee table along with a fridge. All in all, we were very happy with our room. Most importantly, it was a reasonable price.

If you are going to party in S. Beach this a little far from there (15 min. drive). Of course, we did not know this, but we managed to make our way to the Miami scene without any major inconviences. It was app. $40.00 cab ride though.

The pool area is nice along with the beach. The valet guys were very nice and helpful because we were coming and going from the resort frequently. It is $10.00 to park there for your entire stay. Not too bad. Overall, this resort was better than what I thought it would be for the price. I would suggest you go there if you want to relax and not be too close to S. Beach. If you want to party and hang out you may want to stay a little closer to S. Beach.

• Stayed April 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

Can you believe that we own a week at Miami Beach and we can't even get a live person to take the informaion to book it? Maybe they just want us to pay for the timeshare while they proceed to rent the rooms out to 'prospective buyers'. I pay for this and I can't stay there?? Terrible service.

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2005

After reading some of the reviews on this place, we were a little hesitant on the place but now having gone I don't know where those negative people were staying. We loved this place. Having two small children it was great having the baby pool and to have the playground down on the beach. Very clean, we stayed in a two bedroom suite and it was clean and up to date. BEAUTIFUL!!! There were lots of things to do and the staff was great. EVERYONE was friendly from the valets to the servers in the restaurant. We give this place an A+++ and would definetely go back again!

• Stayed February 2005
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2005

Be prepaid to pay $5 per day for:
- news paper, they don't put it in front of your bedroom door.
There are only few items on the front desk, for people who wake up early.
- gym, most of the exercise machines are broken.
- local calls, they still charge $1.00 for 1800

Parking is not included, be prepared to pay $5 per day (1 car per bedroom) if you have another car it has to pay $10/day.

Clean service is lazy,

Even though I boutght my timeshare here (West Gate miami Beach), I prefer to pay the fee to exchange it anywhere in the world instead of coming to WGMB.

Regards,

Leo

batesville, arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2004

Never left my house and got the run around on the phone. I called marketing to check out availability at the 3611 collins street location. They said they had a 2 bedroom left. Then proceeded to give me a discounted price of $500 for theentire week if I listened to a 90 minute spill. How wonderful I thought. Then...Took my credit card number and then came back 32 minutes later gave me a "passport" number. I asked again for details of the room. The description did not match the hotel I requested. The young man said<Oh here it is and read off the write decription> I asked now the room you booked me is at the 3611 address and he put me on hold and another lady got on the phone. She proceeded to double talk and said now this is at North beach. At this point I realized this was some sort of scam. Another person got on the phone and gave me a spill of nothing is confirmed for 24-48 hours and refunds are available within 14 days.. I ask for an immediate credit on my card and he said <We can't do that here. A request must be made to the office> So here I am...waiting..hoping...the "office" opens tomorrow and will issue a credit for a package I do not want and have not received because definites can't be given. After 5 differenent people on the phone line..58 minutes on the line (mainly holding) I feel ripped off $498 on credit ..now they said $500 ..go figure??????

Been to Westgate Miami Beach? Share your experiences!