“Westgate Miami Beach .... Great Time ... but ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westgate Miami Beach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Miami Beach
Westgate Miami Beach
16701 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33160   |
Ranked #164 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Idaho
“Westgate Miami Beach .... Great Time ... but ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

I went to Westgate Miami Beach on a really great travel deal for a very good price, and I had never been to the Miami FL area before so I was glad to have what I got and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but ...

What you need to know is ... this property is part of the Westgate chain of hotels/timeshares. It's located on a very beautiful beach and the property is nice. The pool is good and the hotel has most amenities that might be needed, good breakfast! But this property is very obviously an older hotel that is/has been "transformed" into some semblence of a condo type facility. Don't get me wrong, it is clean and very comfortable .. no real complaints here about the facility .. staff was great .. and it's not really a bad location ... but if you are looking for a "Miami experience" this isn't it ... unless you are willing to drive. Also, if you are into nude beaches ... just walk a little way south on the beach and you will see all the nudies you might want to!

This hotel is quite a way from the heart of Miami, really .. although if you don't mind driving and have a rental car it's ok. One benefit to the location is that if you want to visit Fort Lauderdale, this hotel is right in the middle between the two cities and Fort Lauderdale has a really great beach and a really fun "downtown scene" with great beachside eateries etc.

All in all ... I would go to this hotel again if I had a good price ... I really have no complaints about it. If you are looking for a good value in the Miami area it's probably great for you ... there was a mini kitchen, fridge, the room and beds were very comfortable, etc. and there are many great places to eat etc. within walking distance. Also, although I mention the need to "drive" etc. in this review ... I didn't mind the driving .. it was kind of fun and while driving around you find yourself zipping back and forth over the intercoastal waterway and all and it's quite interesting and really a great way to see another part of the world that might be different from where you live. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. so it was very different and neat to see.

And the location is great if you want to visit Lauderdale. But if you want a true "Miami FL" experience .. complete with the night life and South Beach stuff .. you have to be prepared to drive. And STAY UP LATE! I'm only 40 and pretty healthy ... but the Miami scene ... especially South Beach does not even GET STARTED until 11 o'clock or so. We went into Miami one night at 9:30 - ate dinner and started walking around .. and at 11 there were places that were just starting to set up outside tables etc. to get ready for the night. The South Beach scene is really fun .. the art deco and outside bar tables and all are really neat ... but if you stay at Westgate Miami just please understand that it's not IN MIAMI.

All in all ... I have no qualms about recommending this location ... I had a great time .. but I think people need to know that it is not IN MIAMI.

Stayed April 2006

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

We,a party of four, went to the Wesgate in Nov. 2006 through Sunterra. NEVER AGAIN!!! Although the 2 bedroom apartments were roomy,during the 2 weeks we were there the bed linen was not changed and the rooms were not cleaned.The carpets were so dirty the soles of our slippers were black. Thankfully we went to the Keys for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The only advantage to the resort was the beach. Beautiful! There is only one place to eat out close by otherwise you need a taxi to get to South Beach. The whole of the area was one massive building site. Mother found walking difficult and used a wheelchair ( loaned by the resort and the only good thing about the place), but it was not easy to get around. Don't book any trips through the resort, they are a rip off! We went to the Everglades.It took over an hour to pick up everyone, then the airboat ride was taken up by the driver/pilot taking photos of all the occupants (with their cameras) from outside the boat, and then back to the landing stage. We saw 1 alligator and an escaped iguana. The ride was followed by a wild life show with a few small alligators, a toad, a scorpion, a skunk and a puma cub. The snack bar/shop had exhorbitant prices-$2.50 for a bottle of water.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness, isolation from South Beach
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
fayetteville, nc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

I was first assigned a delapidated one bedroom unit. The bedspreads were torn and worn, the carpet was ripped, the upolstery was dated and shreding at the seams. When I complained, I was eventually moved to a "remodeled" studio, the size of a closet. There are no amenities on site. The staff is rude and uncooperative.

Stayed November 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2006

Being a Westgate time share owner, I have had a terrible experience with this resort. Not only are staff rude and unprofessional but the majority do not know the Sunny Isle area and cannot help you with anything in the area. Additionally, No where is ther a sign for Westgate nor are there any Westgate personnel. If you bought a time share from this resort, you know of all the management problems that have caused the annual maintenance fees to sky rocket. This is the only Westgate resor that has these problems. What are current owners to do? There is not resale program and you are stuck with this horrible rising maintenance fees with horrible service from the resort and most of all horrible service from people like, MARTHA SAM, the president of the owner association. I DO NOT RECOMMEND GOING THERE. It is an extremely unfriendly place, they charge you an obscene amount of money for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and usually the food is cold and untasteful.
BEWARE ---GO SOMEWHERE ELSE....THE HEADACHE IS NOT WORTH IT.!!!!

• Stayed January 2006
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

We came in as Westgate timeshare owners, but the property has two names and one management group. It was very confusing when making the reservations and checking on this hotel's ratings. We had requested an upgrade to a room with a balcony, months in advance, in the end we had to contact a Westgate supervisor who worked it out with the management of the hotel one day before we arrived. We were very leary before we got to the hotel.

First the positives. Fabulous location on the beach, huge pool and kiddie pool. Activities director with adult and kid stuff planned all week. All of it free, with prizes. Good Italian restaurant on the premises with reasonable prices. Nearby shopping and restaurants.

Our room had a king bed in one half and a mini-kitchen(micro-wave, small fridge,dishes & silverware). The rooms had a pocket door that separated them with a sofa bed in the kitchen area. It was quite adequate for the two of us. Lots of storage space in the room. Two phones and two televisions. A jetted bathtub in the bathroom.

Now for the not so positive. The room was somewhat musty and luckily we had a door to our balcony to open for fresh air. One side of the building has rooms without balconies/doors and windows that do not open. Since all of the rooms are smoking rooms, getting a room without ventilation could be real trouble if you are allergy prone. Luckily,we were able to deal with the mustiness.

We had several small issues during our stay:lightbulb burned out, not enough towels,blinking light etc. It took several days to resolve simple things and some were never resolved. Nothing that would keep us from coming back.

For Westgate owners, this property is not up to the standards of newness and sparkling clean facilities as are the other properties in Northern Florida. What it has over those properties is the ocean. There is nothing like going to sleep with the sound of the waves outside and waking up to a beautiful beach with available lounge chairs,a playground,and lots of beach toys to rent. Beach towels are free,there is a bar/restaurant by the pool for food and drinks and a hottub for those so inclined. Would I trade the beach for Mickey Mouse? Not anytime soon!

Chicago Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

We decided to exchange our beautiful time share in Embassy Maui resort for this one because it would expire. The hotel is very average and getting old, needs remodeling which they are doing on a daily basis and you can hear it.
The timeshare sales people were contacting us on a daily basis, which was not necessary because we already have one. Anyway we had to attend their party. The pool is very small, warm once in a while so we could get wet even when the weather was not that great.
The third day we left the room to go to the beach and my husband accidently left the wallet in the room, we were gone for about 45 minutes.
When we came back, the wallet was gone with 300 bucks cash. I was afraid that something like this might happen and refused daily maintenance in our room. This was the first day when I asked them to come and clean.
when we appoached the teller and security, the outcome was futile.
This kind of ruined our mood at this hotel and we decided to go to Orlando for the remainder of the trip!
About 4 month later, the wallet was mailed to us , of course with the cash missing.
It was found in the local mailbox by the mailman who when we called him said he does finds wallets there on occasion...

I think everyone should be aware of this, because it obviously happens veryfrequently and the thief is still employed beside the theft reports. They can track down the suspect if they care, because they know exactly which personnel enters the room by card they use. But they didn't get very upset when we complained. To keep the things quiet they offered transfer to another resort for extra fee. The best they could get us was 150 speciall for 3 days in Orlando Westgate resort. When we got there we found out that the special was only if we attend time share again. My husband set time around 8am to go to time share presentation. He went alone because me being 6 mos pregnant and with 18 months old I thought it was OK if we don't go. He was attacked by the time share personel that if we don't show there all of us we lose the special and we have to pay 300 per night.
I complained again, but they didn't care. So we all had to attend the earliest time share presentation the next day around 6.30 - 7.00am at our last day there in order to avoid very high fees.

• Stayed December 2004
SoCo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

As a Westgate owner, I have always been pleased with the Westgate Resorts we have either traded out for or stayed at. This one is really just a Hotel masquerading as a "condo" timeshare.

Our "two bedroom" one bath "villa" was really a hotel room with one full bedroom, one bedroom that had a pocket door sliding to close it off from the "living room", which consisted of a loveseat-sized couch and a coffee table that bumped into the "breakfast" counter. The couch converted into a murphy sofa bed that took up the entire room, problematic if you have to use the bathroom during the night, that was located on the OPPOSITE side of each bedroom.

Oh the joys of crawling over someone sleeping in order to make it to the bathroom.

The "kitchenette" was a joke. I think it had a microwave and dorm size refrigerator hidden away in a cabinet. All I really remember was a 2 person/4 cup coffee maker for a "villa" that could ideally sleep 6 people. Oh yes! And the titled counter that you could sit at ONLY if you moved the cocktail table away from the sofa. And the stools were almost the same height as the counter so if you did try to sit there, it was like having a lap tray instead of a counter to work at.

The pool area was ok, if you didn't mind the 7:00 am - 5:00 pm construction work that was going on OVERHEAD. I didn't have much faith in the "netting" that was supposed to catch construction debris. Better to sit down by the ocean on the beach.

Breakfast buffet was reasonably priced, but we had to wait 20 minutes for ALL fresh food to be prepared and brought out to the steamers.

Gratuity is included in ALL the "in house" restaurants and bars, so, needless to say, service is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW! I mean, even when we went TO the bar for soft drinks, you had to wait in line for 10-15 minutes. For a COKE!

You have to pay $5 per day for self parking or $10 per day for valet parking. It's worth the extra $5 to go for the valet. Also, there is a $3 or $5 a day "resort activity" fee that is mandatory - this is so you can get the paper every day, have extra amenities at the resort like the jet ski vendor, etc.

The plus side was the place was clean, nobody bothered us to buy a timeshare, the ocean was beautiful and you could buy wireless internet access for $10 a day or $22.00 for 3 days.

This resort would be best for a couple or a couple with small children that plans on eating out all the time. NO WAY do 4 adults fit comfortably here and there is not enough living space in the "living room." Other than the couch, the only other seating were those dorky counter stools.

I'd say this is more of a hotel than a "villa" room/suite.

Been to Westgate Miami Beach? Share your experiences!