“If you actually end up staying at this property, its not too bad; however” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Spray Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ocean Spray Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean Spray Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4130 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #147 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“If you actually end up staying at this property, its not too bad; however”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I booked at this hotel through a travel website. My flight was cancelled due to weather for the first night of my stay. We thought about cancelling our trip entirely, but because it was a non-refundable pre-paid room, we searched for and found another flight the next day. I called the hotel directly and the website's customer service phone number to inform them that I would be arriving the next day. They both told me that they would hold the reservation, but that I would not be rebated anything for the missed night (which I expected and had no problem with). When I finally arrived after have a very difficult travel process, I was told that my reservation was cancelled due to not arriving the previous night. I informed him that I had called the previous night. He apologized for the miscommunication (and the Front desk Agent was very nice), but informed me that they had no more rooms. I was told that I could be accommodated at their sister hotel down the road. I was also told it was a much nicer place that had a pool. At this point I figured I would just go with it and talk to the manager in the morning, as we were eager to start our vacation. We were issued keys (which I though was strange) before a cab driver took us to the sister hotel. The surrounding buildings looked pretty sketchy, but it was dark and I didn't think much of it. When we walked in, the lobby appeared to be under construction and smelled like mildew. There appeared to be no staff anywhere in the building. We got to our room to be disappointed again. There was a double bed, an incredibly small bathroom with a ridiculously small shower, and a very dated and unnecessary kitchenette. We showered and went to dinner, then came back to the hotel to sleep for the night. I went out to smoke before retiring for the evening, and I began chatting with another man out front. Started as standard traveller small talk when through the conversation, I was told that this was actually just an apartment building that the hotel has a few units in. He also informed me that I should expect to hear a lot of noise between 5:30 and 6 AM, as mostly prostitutes on my floor and that it when they get home from work. Sure enough, he was right. At this point I was furious. Not wanting my girlfriend to be alarmed by that news, I walked down the street back to the Ocean Spray and asked to speak to the manager. I was told that he was not in yet, but they would take my information and have him call me. I inquired about moving rooms back to the actual hotel and was told that it would not be possible until the following night. I asked about a refund for the unused nights if I changed hotels and was told he couldn't guarantee that, only the manager could make that decision. I went out for the day and awaited the call. It never came. I walked back down while my girlfriend was getting ready for dinner. I asked to speak to the manager again and a young woman emerged and identified herself as the manager. I explained the circumstances and expressed disappointment and asked if there was any way to get into the hotel that night and she again said no. I inquired about cancelling and she said that she had not say in it, only the manager could make that decision. I thought she WAS the manager. Turns out she was not, I guess. Finally, the next day, we called and were told there was a room for us. We packed up our bags and walked with them the 10 blocks to the hotel, as we were not offered any assistance moving back. When we arrived, we were told our room was not yet ready. Are you kidding me?! Then why did you call? Later in the day, we came back and checked into a nice clean, modern room in the part of town we expected to be in all along for the last night of our stay. We asked for the manager that night as well as the next morning to no avail. We were told he would call us. We called a few days later and got no response ever. Eventually we put it behind us, but it was a very disappointing first trip with the lady.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

It's close to downtown the rooms are clean not super modern but the bed was small but comfy. So good value for money relative to average charges in Miami no parking but not a great hassle to find street parking. Subway is the breakfast and snack kiosk in the hotel which means the elevator had a distinct odor all in spent three days there with no real complaints

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Our trip to Miami was only a short vacation so we booked this hotel for a reasonable price. As I live in Florida I know the Miami hotels are not cheap and if you want to stay at a great looking place it will cost you $3-400 a night. So we didn't have very high expectations from a hotel under a 100 bucks. Parking is not provided. So you can either park on the street (which is impossible during the day) and pay $1.50/hr or pay $30 in a public parking garage for 24hrs. But than you can't move with your car unless you wanna pay every time you go in and out.
Check in was fast just as the check out right after check in. They gave us a dirty room at the first try. As we entered the room, there were no pillows on the bed, the bathroom had dirty towels on the floor.... So we went back with all our luggage to front desk to give us a clean room at this time. That room we got was ok but than we found a used fake eyelash pair on top of the hairdryer. Hmm... I guess that's what we payed for.
The room itself was fine, the beds were comfortable, bathroom was just enough clean but the carpet. Very old disgusting looking carpet with huge dark stains on it. I always had to have my flip flops on.
At check out, I gave front desk the eyelashes in a plastic bag, we found in the bathroom. They never offered any discount or any compensation for #1 checking us into a dirty room first, #2 to check us into a "cleaned" room with some disgusting leftovers from some other guest. Who knows how long those eyelashes were sitting there...
I would recommend this hotel for young people who don't care about fancy rooms or maybe for only 1 night stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Spray Hotel during a weekend girls trip and think it was a good base and value for Miami Beach. The hotel is in the quieter part of Miami Beach which I believe is called Mid Beach. My friends and I prefer this area because we didn't want to be around South Beach craziness during our entire trip. This is something to think about if you want to be around the South Beach area. The hotel however is only a $2 bus ride or $8-$10 cab ride from South Beach though. The room was pretty good, appeared clean other than the older quilted chairs that did have some stains on them. We upgraded to a king suite when we checked in and had a nice ocean view. The bathroom appeared updated, and housekeeping cleaned it well each day. Lighting in the bathroom was not very good. The Subway in the lobby was convienent. There is a Carraba's Italian Restuarant near the hotel which is very good, and Primo Cafe that serves sandwiches, smoothies and more is within walking distance. The front desk staff was also very helpful. If you are looking for a clean and quiet base in Miami Beach I would recommend this hotel. It's not luxurious, but it is adequate for a nice trip in Miami Beach. Although it wouldn't be my first choice, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Although I had read the reviews about the bait and switch, I decided to call the hotel directly to book a two night stay for my 5 year old daughter and I.

I made sure to call to confirm ahead of time that I'd have a 2 bed room (I don't think it's appropriate for my daughter to share a bed with her father). I was assured there were no problems with the reservation. The next day I make my way down.
First problem, the woman at the front desk was totally incompetent as she couldn't understand me and needed someone to help her. After over 15 minutes of waiting and her looking confused, I finally get my key. Naturally, the wrong room as it has only 1 bed. At first she tried to convince me the room would be fine for us, then she tried to tell me that I had not booked a double. Needless to say, I was not happy and voiced that openly. By the way, there were 3 other people with problems as well.

As 5 year olds tend to need, my daughter needed to go to the bathroom. So I asked her just to give me the old key back and I'd wait for the manager there. Another 10 minutes before I got a key, at least I did get the right room.

If they call this a double??? Do tiny and only 1 bed can see the tv. No clock and worst of all, there is a stale urine smell in the room.

Read the reviews and don't stay here, it may be cheap, and you get what you pay for, junk!

• Stayed August 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I must say that if you looking to book in this hotel, try your luck elsewhere first. Hotel is advertised as 3 stars, Based on my years of traveling I would not give it more than 2 stars.

#1. Parking: This hotel does not provide parking. Stating that it has "free" parking is a lie. I was told to look for off street parking which again is not free. Worse they don't even have a deal with ramp near by. Ramp near by charge by hour and its 30 bucks for 24 hrs which is reasonable for the area but other hotels provide multiple entry parking facility for around 20 bucks.

#2 Amenities: It does not exist. There is no pool no gym no restaurant not even a decent vending machine. There is a subway on premises which itself is pretty shady.
There is no WIFI in the rooms. wifi available in the lobby but it is not convenient at all.
I saw some good reviews online that rated this hotel okay but from my personal experience I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are out of all options and end up in this hotel then do ask for room that faces the ocean. It...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JosieG6
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

booked as an alternative to the Event Hotel for the Miami Salsa Congress 2013. Stayed 6/26-29/2013. Cost effective, rates just over $70 a night. Event hotel wanted $149 a room PLUS a $50 resort fee.....CLEAN good mattress on bed, art deco Ish hotel, Simple, Subway sandwich shop in lobby, free internet in lobby, and wifi, staff helpful no drama. One block south was Primo Deli...hot and cold food, liquor, gifts, shoes stuff......also maybe 3 blocks overall from the Walgreens for the stuff you cannot bring on the plane.

Faults - when they ran the water next door it screamed like construction, but for this price, small problem. Ignorable. Cable TV, coffee in room....hairdryer....Everything you need at reasonable price for nice beach stay and location at 4130 Collins, half a block from 41st Causeway putting miami Beach night life such as Bongos, in the ten buck cab range. Buses along collins in front and behind, and beach Across the Street. Perfect for what I needed.

Room Tip: well room 507 suffered from noisy water pipes when neighbor used shower.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ocean Spray Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!