“Pretty good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #165 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Columbus, Ohio
“Pretty good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Spray Hotel during a weekend girls trip and think it was a good base and value for Miami Beach. The hotel is in the quieter part of Miami Beach which I believe is called Mid Beach. My friends and I prefer this area because we didn't want to be around South Beach craziness during our entire trip. This is something to think about if you want to be around the South Beach area. The hotel however is only a $2 bus ride or $8-$10 cab ride from South Beach though. The room was pretty good, appeared clean other than the older quilted chairs that did have some stains on them. We upgraded to a king suite when we checked in and had a nice ocean view. The bathroom appeared updated, and housekeeping cleaned it well each day. Lighting in the bathroom was not very good. The Subway in the lobby was convienent. There is a Carraba's Italian Restuarant near the hotel which is very good, and Primo Cafe that serves sandwiches, smoothies and more is within walking distance. The front desk staff was also very helpful. If you are looking for a clean and quiet base in Miami Beach I would recommend this hotel. It's not luxurious, but it is adequate for a nice trip in Miami Beach. Although it wouldn't be my first choice, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank anlea0408

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Although I had read the reviews about the bait and switch, I decided to call the hotel directly to book a two night stay for my 5 year old daughter and I.

I made sure to call to confirm ahead of time that I'd have a 2 bed room (I don't think it's appropriate for my daughter to share a bed with her father). I was assured there were no problems with the reservation. The next day I make my way down.
First problem, the woman at the front desk was totally incompetent as she couldn't understand me and needed someone to help her. After over 15 minutes of waiting and her looking confused, I finally get my key. Naturally, the wrong room as it has only 1 bed. At first she tried to convince me the room would be fine for us, then she tried to tell me that I had not booked a double. Needless to say, I was not happy and voiced that openly. By the way, there were 3 other people with problems as well.

As 5 year olds tend to need, my daughter needed to go to the bathroom. So I asked her just to give me the old key back and I'd wait for the manager there. Another 10 minutes before I got a key, at least I did get the right room.

If they call this a double??? Do tiny and only 1 bed can see the tv. No clock and worst of all, there is a stale urine smell in the room.

Read the reviews and don't stay here, it may be cheap, and you get what you pay for, junk!

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank PsychDocFL

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I must say that if you looking to book in this hotel, try your luck elsewhere first. Hotel is advertised as 3 stars, Based on my years of traveling I would not give it more than 2 stars.

#1. Parking: This hotel does not provide parking. Stating that it has "free" parking is a lie. I was told to look for off street parking which again is not free. Worse they don't even have a deal with ramp near by. Ramp near by charge by hour and its 30 bucks for 24 hrs which is reasonable for the area but other hotels provide multiple entry parking facility for around 20 bucks.

#2 Amenities: It does not exist. There is no pool no gym no restaurant not even a decent vending machine. There is a subway on premises which itself is pretty shady.
There is no WIFI in the rooms. wifi available in the lobby but it is not convenient at all.
I saw some good reviews online that rated this hotel okay but from my personal experience I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are out of all options and end up in this hotel then do ask for room that faces the ocean. It...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Gorkhe T
JosieG6
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

booked as an alternative to the Event Hotel for the Miami Salsa Congress 2013. Stayed 6/26-29/2013. Cost effective, rates just over $70 a night. Event hotel wanted $149 a room PLUS a $50 resort fee.....CLEAN good mattress on bed, art deco Ish hotel, Simple, Subway sandwich shop in lobby, free internet in lobby, and wifi, staff helpful no drama. One block south was Primo Deli...hot and cold food, liquor, gifts, shoes stuff......also maybe 3 blocks overall from the Walgreens for the stuff you cannot bring on the plane.

Faults - when they ran the water next door it screamed like construction, but for this price, small problem. Ignorable. Cable TV, coffee in room....hairdryer....Everything you need at reasonable price for nice beach stay and location at 4130 Collins, half a block from 41st Causeway putting miami Beach night life such as Bongos, in the ten buck cab range. Buses along collins in front and behind, and beach Across the Street. Perfect for what I needed.

Room Tip: well room 507 suffered from noisy water pipes when neighbor used shower.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JosieG6
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very nice hotel for what we paid to stay there. The location was a little far off from where we hung out majority of our time in Miami. The hotel is located on the 41st block of Collins and the entertainment and shops were between 2nd and 15th of Collins. Ocean Spray has a Subway sandwich shop which stayed open late and open early and the front desk staff was great the time we were there. We had issues with the ice machine being broke but the front desk staff had no problem gettinf ice for us. Beach access was across the street and there was also a Walgreens on 41st which was right on time for anything we needed. I would most defitnely stay here again if I just wanted to come to Miami to relax. The location is quiet during the day and at night.

Room Tip: Ask for room with views. Our room on the 3rd floor had a view of a vacant building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 230JohnsonE
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights at The Ocean Spray and really enjoyed it! It is in a good location really close to the beach. It's actually right across from the beach, but the view is blocked by all the newly built extremely tall oceanfront properties. You literally can walk across the street to the beach, which for us was a huge convenience. The rooms were clean and a good size, we loved them. We had two separate reservations for the beginning and end portion of a cruise we took. The 1st night we had a King bed and a corner room, very nice and well worth the $140 we paid for the 4th of July. Very affordable, very clean, quiet area.

Cons:

Not much to eat around this specific area. There is a subway downstairs, which was nice. But the workers were awful.

Our first room had some mildew on the bathroom ceiling.

All in all, for what we paid it was a good place to stay. I had no huge complaints. You can't expect to pay the price of a 2 star hotel and get the accommodations of a 4 or 5 star hotel. We enjoyed the Ocean Spray and would stay there again. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Corner room on higher floor, very big and you can get a few of the ocean. Or if you stay on the back...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 30Travels
Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I booked this as a "surprise hotel" on a popular travel website. It was misrepresented as a 3-star hotel. Upon arrival, we were informed there were no rooms available in the hotel, so we were directed to a "sister property" 1 mile away.

The building was an apartment/condo building with no front desk or other hotel services. It took 5 minutes to even get the unit's door open (it had no door knob) - a call to the hotel itself was no help as the clerk said he had never been to this property and didn't know how to help me. I was finally able to enter to find a sparsely furnished studio apartment - it was clean but by no means a 3-star hotel, and it had no on-site hotel services.

We opted not to stay and returned to the Ocean Spray to turn in the key card and get the receipt back for a $100 key deposit. Upon arrival at Ocean Spray, we were greeted by FIVE police cruisers surrounding the hotel, with officers in the lobby and outside. I returned the key and informed the manager we were not satisfied with our room and would not be staying, and he told me a room at the Ocean Spray had just opened up - it appeared he was offering me the room of the person being arrested at that moment!

Be warned about the "bait and switch" practice and stay away from this place...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple