“Stay away from Ocean Spray!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Spray Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ocean Spray Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean Spray Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4130 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #144 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
“Stay away from Ocean Spray!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I booked this as a "surprise hotel" on a popular travel website. It was misrepresented as a 3-star hotel. Upon arrival, we were informed there were no rooms available in the hotel, so we were directed to a "sister property" 1 mile away.

The building was an apartment/condo building with no front desk or other hotel services. It took 5 minutes to even get the unit's door open (it had no door knob) - a call to the hotel itself was no help as the clerk said he had never been to this property and didn't know how to help me. I was finally able to enter to find a sparsely furnished studio apartment - it was clean but by no means a 3-star hotel, and it had no on-site hotel services.

We opted not to stay and returned to the Ocean Spray to turn in the key card and get the receipt back for a $100 key deposit. Upon arrival at Ocean Spray, we were greeted by FIVE police cruisers surrounding the hotel, with officers in the lobby and outside. I returned the key and informed the manager we were not satisfied with our room and would not be staying, and he told me a room at the Ocean Spray had just opened up - it appeared he was offering me the room of the person being arrested at that moment!

Be warned about the "bait and switch" practice and stay away from this place...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Miami and we stayed at the Ocean Spray. We got there very late but the front desk service was kind and quick to check us in. Our room was very basic; it had a very comfortable, fluffy bed, clean bathroom, refrigerator and flat screen TV. We didn't have a view really, just the side of the building next to the hotel, we didn't care, we were barely in the room long enough to enjoy a view. The Subway downstairs in the lobby was pretty convenient, we had a quick breakfast and lunch there one of the days we were too lazy to travel to Ocean Drive. We crossed the street and went to the beach and it was very nice. There are some bus stops around the hotel so if you wanted to ride that instead of a cab to get down Collins Avenue you can, it was very convenient. If we got a deal like we did again, we would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I arrived to the Ocean Spray Hotel on a Sunday during ULTRA Music Festival which I was not attending. The hotel was full of college students who were on vacation and wanted to party. I was in town of a business conference which required me to be up at 6am and not back until 10pm daily. Upon arriving to my hotel I was already disappointed because a week prior I sent an email requesting a quite area because of my work schedule.

I was given a room on the 2nd floor right off the street which I thought would be extremely noisy. I went to the front desk and spoke to a young lady who was very indifferent to my needs. I asked why I was given a room right off the main street especially since I asked for a quite area she told me “how were they to know that it would be loud” I asked if tomorrow I could be moved to a higher floor and she said “Well were sold-out” and then once I told her I could not stay there more than one night she said “Well your still going to be charged”.

I must inform you that I am a General Manager of a limited service brand hotel and was there for a Carlson Business Conference. I was upset and decided just to leave and register for my conference. I came back to the hotel around 10:30pm that night and I fell right to sleep without any noise. I woke-up and truly was happy with my stay outcome so far, than I go to shower no hot water at 5:30am.

I go to the desk and find the most helpful night auditor who showed the first sign of customer service and actually apologized and the problem and gave me the GM and the Controllers names to talk to so that we can fix the issue. I came back and informed the controller what the problems were and she also apologized and moved my room. After that I have no issues what so ever.

The gentleman at night is a very friendly and provides the level of service one would expect for any chain hotel. While I did not have much of a conversation with the night auditor she too was very accommodating. People have commented that the lobby smells like a subway sandwich shop well it does because there is a subway inside of the lobby.

All and in all would stay again at this hotel however, not on business. The rooms were very clean except the carpet (nasty!!) and the amenities were just what were necessary to get by. The lady who works Sunday was not very pleasent however, everyone else was.

Room Tip: Room 606 was a nice corner room however, dont expect a high floor even if you request it.
Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

In general, the service was very poor, everywhere smells of a subway sandwiches, there are very small rooms, It doesn't have a parking space, you have to pay for an internet connection, The air conditioning is noisy, I will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Angers, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The room was ok but a bit worn out. Carpet was dirty (use your flip-flops). Bed was good. Quite a lot of noise enter the room from nearby streets through old plexi-glas windows (use earplugs). Staff at the reception was friendly and helpful. The hotel is located a bit far away from all activities of Miami Beach (restaurants, shopping); next time I would book a hotel 20 blocks south from this. Anyway, you can have a nice 10 km morning run from the hotel to Ocean Drive and back. Overall: decent place in this price category.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our room was clean! Thank goodness. So many bad reviews about the cleanliness of the hotels in Miami beach. This hotel was located on north beach, Miami. Great place to be! The area was clean and the beach was 1 block away (very nice boardwalk). This hotel has a Subway sandwich shop located in the lobby (nice)...the owner of the establishment was very nice and pleasant to speak with...stop in to say hello to her! The room was definitely a good size room...remember this hotel is located on a prime street (Collins) and you will hear exotic cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati..etc) stretching their legs late (2-4 am) at night from one block to the next. If your a light sleeper (me) this can be an issue..if your a heavy sleeper (wife : )) no problem. I booked this hotel through Travelocity's top secret hotels...you don't know the hotel name you are booking...it worked out for us nicely, saved us some money and stayed in the area we really wanted to be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toulouse, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

On entering hotel you are hit by the smell of a subway cafe as it is the first thing you see as you enter the lobby. The entrance area is very basic. The staff are friendly and helpful. There is no parking at the hotel but valet parking is avail at 25 dollars per day. There is also a public park, but that can cost 40 dollars for 24 hours. Evening parking from 6pm to 7.30am costs about 20 dollars. Alternatively you search the streets for a space.

The room is basic. There is a lot of noise as the windows are very old standard with no soundproofing. The walls are thin so you pick up noise from the adjacent bedroom.
The room was supplied with a safe, but half the numbers did not work.

The room was not very dark as the curtains were short and did not meet properly at the middle, so let in light from the street. In my colleague's room the curtains were thin and did not block any light!

I do not recommend to stay here on business. It's ok for a casual holiday weekend if you are not restricted by lack of breakfast facilities or being disturbed by traffic noise and want a low cost break. I had to go to a close by hotel for breakfast.

I finally checked out 4 days early to move to another hotel.

Wifi is available at a cost of around 11 dollars for 24 hours.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ocean Spray Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!