“get away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Spray Beach Hotel

You added Ocean Spray Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean Spray Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4130 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Special Price
TRIPADVISOR EXCLUSIVE 15%
Ranked #142 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
North Miami, Florida
“get away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I really enjoyed this hotel , the front desk personel was super nice and attentive. Hotel is in a good location. It is not a ocean front hotel but all you have to do is cross the street and the beach is there my husband and I really enjoyed this hotel. There was a subway resturant in the lobby it was small,nice and simple. the room was pretty big and clean with alot of room the bathroom I loved. Overall it was very nice and clean.
Downfall: one elevator and you have to self park not a big deal(meters)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Our friend had booked this hotel online before reading the reviews here and unfortunately, the site we used to book wouldn't let us do a refund so we were stuck with this hotel. After reading all the awful reviews here, we were worried about our trip.

The bad reviews did prepare us for the worst, but our experience wasn't nearly as bad as others.

The two ladies who work at the front desk were pretty helpful and mostly pleasant. The guy who worked the desk at night though is a whole other story. Nearly every request or questions directed at him would be returned with an "ask them in the morning" response.

The rooms are pretty small, somewhat dark and depressing, and had old 80's technology in them. I felt as if I was walking into my grandmother's bedroom. We booked with triple occupancy but these rooms are far too small to fit 3 people in them. With the two small double beds, plus our luggage, we barely had room to move around in the room. The bathrooms were nothing above the ordinary. They were tidy, had a working toilet, sink, and shower. They also had the basics of soap and shampoo/conditioner.

The biggest complaint I have is with the Subway right in the lobby. The smell of it is pretty strong and you get really sick of it after a few days. It even somehow makes its way into the elevator and up to the hallway of the 7th floor. On the other hand, the Subway is open late and with the lack of food/restaurant choices nearby, it is convenient if you're starving.

Sadly, after 3 nights in this hotel (we had booked 6), we decided we had enough and did a 'name your own price' and managed to snag a nearby 4 star hotel for an even cheaper price than we booked this hotel for. The three of us travel a lot and it's actually the first time we've ever felt like the hotel was putting a damper on our moods. So much so that we decided to forgo getting our money back and just book another hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Within 30 minutes of checking into this hotel at 3 p.m., our room was broken into! Instead of calling 911 – the staff consulted with the cleaning staff as to who could possibly be in the room, as I chased the criminal alone through the back stairwell of the hotel. Once the police arrived, the hotel staff did not allow the investigators access to the surveillance cameras, nor did the staff stop by our room to see if my friend and I were ok. Obviously a very traumatic experience, it would have been nice to know the staff even cared. This nightmare does not end there!! The staff did check to see if we were leaving so they could resell our room! We were instructed to wait for CSI to investigate before we left. Thus, the management refused to refund the cost of the room! (SERIOUSLY – THEY THINK IT IS OK TO CHARGE A GUEST AFTER THIS SCENARIO!!) The staff wasn’t “allowed” to let me talk to management directly. IN ADDITION, the staff threatened to have the police remove us from the hotel. The police kindly returned at 9 p.m. to confirm to management, via the phone, that they instructed us not to leave. Where is management? – you ask! The managers actually live across the street but never took the time to visit the hotel. This entire ordeal cost more than the cost of the room. After an 8 hour ordeal, it took close to two hours for the police to confirm with management that I would receive a refund. In case you are wondering, I HAVE YET TO SEE MY MONEY RETURNED!!!

I would never let anyone of my friends stay here, nor should you!! I heard The Kent Hotel is a better option! For your safety and personally well-being, try to book somewhere else and always use the safe provided in your room. BTW – Make sure your safe works, as other guests in the hotel confirmed that their safes did not work!!!

I only selected a star, as I am instructed to do so. But that star would be a black hole! Hope my pain will help save a few other individuals from the same nightmare!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

I cannot say that I recommend this hotel to others. We had few issues during our stay.
Housekeeping ladies forgot to clean our room for 3 days and one morning we received a wake up call before 6A.M even though we never asked for that. They probably wrote down the wrong room number and they woke us up!!!
Hotel is also far from all the South Beach amenities if you don't have a car and just wanna walk it's about 30 minutes.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reidsville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

My wife, and I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel in route to a lovely cruise. The service was very, very bad. They didn,t have any towels available, and I was told by the person at the service desk that Americans are spoiled. The carpet was so dirty, that my wife had to wash her feet again after taking a shower before getting into bed. The sheets has cookie crums on them, and the phone did not work. this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.The best thing about this hotel is the location, and the fact that I know it exist. Don,t let the picture fool you.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed at Ocean Spray Beach Hotel in April 2011 for a business trip. The location was pretty convenient, the place was looking cozy from the outside and the price was good compared to other hotels in that area. But that's all. The receptionist was incredibly slow, very rude and could speak barely English. There is a Subway restaurant on the first floor which gives the hotel a distinctive odor. On top of it, there are no parking spots at all. The rooms were ok but I think I was just a luck one after reading the other reviews. Next time for $40 more, I get a place like Miami Beach Spa & Resort. It is definitely not a smart idea to sacrifice so much for a lousy $40-$50.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are quite small.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

This hotel stat's it's Art Deco, it is sadly mistaken. The location is strike one, the hotels in the area were sketchy, the Holiday Inn and Days Inn in the same area looked much nicer.

There was nothing in the lobby besides the crummy desk an ATM that takes FOREVER! and a Subway... which made the entire hotel smell of the subs.

Everyone on here says you get what you paid for, I guess thats true if you don't mind being lied to horribly. Nothing about this hotel is worth a stay.

Parking is outrageous it's $26 a night in a garage two blocks away. Other hotels in the area validate parking in this garage so Ocean Spray needs to work on this.

We could have spent more money to stay in a bigger hotel, but we were interested in seeing the smaller older hotels... worse mistake ever. We were in Miami (from Orlando) for a GaGa concert at the American Airlines Arena which you have to take a taxi to get to and from ($30 each way) when we could have stayed at one of those hotels in the area of the arena. We ended up leaving Miami as soon as we got up because we just felt dirty staying in this hotel.

(One of my biggest complaints is they turned off the AC in our room after coming in to clean up, after standing in line outside all day and then standing at a concert I wanted to come back to a clean cool room, this was not the case.)
(There was a women who was working at Subway when we got there that was very friendly.)

Room Tip: Spend a little more money, at a better hotel!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Spray Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!