“A decent hotel, but I have a couple of complaints...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

You added Dorchester Hotel to your Saves list
Dorchester Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #119 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
West Hollywood, California
“A decent hotel, but I have a couple of complaints...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I found the Dorchester Hotel to be a decent hotel with daily rates that are relatively inexpensive by South Beach standards, but I do have a couple of complaints.

We checked in at 4:15 pm but were told to wait 45 minutes before going up to our room because the housekeeping staff had not yet got around to cleaning our room. At 5:15 pm, I went up to our room, and the maid was still cleaning the room!

A previous reviewer called the parking charges "reasonable". I'm sorry, but I do not consider $29 a day to park at a hotel which you are staying at, "resonable"... I'd call it "outrageous"! After one night, I removed my car from the hotel's overpriced parking lot and parked it in the City of Miami Beach Municipal Parking Lot, which is 5 blocks away and costs $16 a day.

Additionally, the price charged by the hotel for their breakfast buffet ($28 for two people with tax and tip) is what I would call a blatant rip-off. The eggs were rubbery, the bacon was dry, the toast was burnt, and the coffee was disgusting. The management of this hotel should be ashamed of themselves for charging so much money for such crap!

The "resort fee" of $15 per person is also a bit excessive. All you get for this fee is use of beach towel, a beach chair, and an umbrella at the Marseilles' (The sister hotel of the Dorchester) designated section on the beach. (See photos for views looking north, and south on Miami Beach, just off of the 18th Street entrance)

Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Paterson, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

The inside was decent the pool was a nice size could use a bit more lighting at night though might help to deter the rats we saw going up & down the pipes on the side on hotel also saw some on the lower roof by the pool bar counter on top of that there's a huuuuge possum living in the massive tree by the walkway from their side parking lot

Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My family & I stayed here in June 2015 on our holidays from Ireland. We were greeted by Mauricio & Francisco who were really friendly and welcoming. They organised tours for the duration of our holiday (to the Everglades, City Tour & Island Cruise tour) which were all brilliant. Alain brought our bags to our room and called my son his friend every time we met him throughout the hotel.
The room was really nice, clean & fresh. Breakfast was buffet and delicious.
The location is perfect for the beach, Ocean Drive, shopping & restaurants all in walking distance. The pool & surrounding area was brilliant & Happy Hour was a bonus!!
The parking was very convenient & not expensive.
Thank you to all the staff at the Dorchester Hotel for making our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
I wanted to thank you for sharing your impression of the Dorchester Hotel. I couldn’t be more pleased to see that we’ve exceeded your expectation during your recent visit. I will pass on the commendation to Francisco, Mauricio and Alain personally. We strive to provide a relaxing atmosphere, comfortable accommodations and friendly service. We are thrilled that you’ve had a great time with us and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to South Beach.
Cape Coral, Florida, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A lot of mixed reviews on this place but honestly it was a great stay. The room was very clean. The room was small but not complaint at all with that. I was walking distance to everything i needed being that i was there for a convention. The bar downstairs was great and we absolutely loved our bartender who was great and a lot of fun. I would definitely return to this hotel especially after finding that this place was pretty nice. The staff were very nice.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for the great review. Indeed, we are in the heart of it all, close to the restaurants, bars, pedestrian zones, and the Miami Beach Convention Center. I am glad to see that you have enjoyed our 1850 bar and the service we provided. Thanks for writing. It was a pleasure to have you and we can’t wait to have you back!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and i moved over to this hotel after a HORRIBLE stay down the street at the Lorrraine Hotel(Motel). From the very first entrance on the property, Carlos ( the bellman) greeted and welcomed us to the facility. He immediately took care of our bags and guided us to the property people. Parking was affordable and convenient. Beach towels, chairs, free wifi, ice, happy hour bar specials, and a beautiful pool are all very very welcomed amenities. Our room was clean, modern, and comfortable.....although we typically don't spend a great deal of time in the room. I(we) will most definately be back!!!! Bravo Carlos and the staff at Dorchester!!!! Vicki and David from Washington, DC

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Vicki and David,
Thank you for the glowing review of our Hotel. It is our greatest pleasure to see that you had such a great time with us. I am glad to see that you were able to take advantage of our convenient parking, beach service, and one of the best happy hours around. I personally passed the kind comments to Carlos and the helpful staff. Sincere thanks from all of us for your kind words and excellent review. We look forward to seeing you when you visit Miami Beach again. Warm Regards,
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The room was perfect. The staff were amazing. The pool was refreshing. The only problem was the so called " Continental Breakfast". I looked up the word and it says "that some hotels offer FREE breakfast" but Dorchester was not part of that "some", which is a bummer to pay 14.99 for a self-served, mediocre beakfast. Yet, the next day, I payed $16 for a salmon /eggs Benedict , served with fruits on the side and a free mimosa at a Catalina's restaurant. I wouldn't do "Continental Breakfast" again but I will definitely book the hotel at my next stay in Dorchester.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with friends
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for staying with us at the Dorchester Hotel South Beach, and thank you for the generous comments about our staff, room, and pool area. I apologize that the breakfast options offered did not meet your expectations. Indeed, there are many options for breakfast and dining due to our great location in the heart of South Beach, with many places just walking distance from the hotel. We will be thrilled to have you back, so we hope to welcome you back soon.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Service great room awesome one bedroom suite phenomal much space for two adults and a child. Pool area nice not sure what people are complaining about when they say bad things. Good local. Plenty of places to eat.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for taking your time to post such a nice review. Its our greatest pleasure to see that your family had a great time staying with us in one of our spacious suites. Whenever you come to the area I hope you'll keep us in mind and visit us again.

Been to Dorchester Hotel? Share your experiences!