“Average but nicely located” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

You added Dorchester Hotel to your Saves list
Dorchester Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #116 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Average but nicely located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We were here for 2 nights.

The hotel is expensive for what it is (as most places in miami are) but at least is perfectly located on collins road close to the sea.

The beach service is a great plus but the swimming pool is small and crowded

Room was small, bathroom was old, it was quite noisy and not super clean

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This hotel was horrible, when my friends and I first arrived, we were excited ...UNTIL we stepped foot into the hotel room...the room was very small, nothing like we imagined, we tried to switch rooms to maybe the suite but they wanted more money so we had no choice but to stay there...the next morning we woke up to a horrible stench (like dead mouse or something) coming from our bathroom, there was no clean towels/wash cloths ...had to then call front desk and ask them to at least switch our hotel room from by the elevator, which was very noisy, we switched rooms to a room where the toilet was stopped up and the sink was as well, it was just horrible! No place to warm up food besides the kitchen which closes at 1pm ... I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone! Find someplace better for your money!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Please accept my apology for the disappointments with the guest room. Dorchester South Beach is a historic property protected from architectural change by State and Local governments. The size of the room is unchanged from the very beginning just like all other art deco buildings in Miami Beach. I am glad that the helpful front office staff was able to give you an option to move to a Suite. We work very hard to make sure all aspects of the bathroom and guestroom are in excellent working condition. Our maintenance team has made all necessary repairs. We are dedicated to our commitment to exceed the expectations of our guests. I hope you will visit us again so that we have the opportunity to give you the outstanding experience you deserve.
Dronfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked the day before we were due to arrive in South Beach and we weren't disappointed. The location is excellent at the top end of Collins, close to the beach (loungers, brolly and towels provided in the 'resort fee'), Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive.

We found all the staff were accommodating and friendly.

We would definitely return if we travel this way again.

Room Tip: We had suite 164 at the rear of the hotel, so was very quite for the location.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I love the location of this hotel it's not in the heart of the party scene of South Beach but it's on Collins and in a very nice spot, close to the beach, food, and shopping. I stayed here for 3 years in a row. The property is getting a little dated and needs to be updated; rooms and facilities.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing, as this provides valuable feedback for us. We thank you for choosing Dorchester South Beach for your repeat stay, and for the generous comments about our prime location. We are constantly improving our hotel. Many updates were made throughout the years and many more improvements are planned in the near future. I hope we can welcome you back so you can experience it all.
brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed in the suites section for 4 nights.. I was very impressed when I checked in, rooms are very spacious it was like an apartment. Had a 1 bedroom suites which also had a sofa sleeper in the living room area, kitchen will full amenities, bathroom spacious and lots of closet space. The housekeeping staff kept the place immaculate every day.. Staff was really nice and really helpful with directions and things to do. Hotel is centrally located 1 block beach and ocean drive, across the street from all the high end hotels and a 24 hour Walgreens. Plenty of shopping and restaurants within walking distance, felt very safe here coming in late at night.

I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you book the suites section request the 2nd floor (no elevator).
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank You for visiting us at the Dorchester Suites at our prime South Beach location. Your generous, detailed comments have put a smile on my face. I’ve passed along your acknowledgements to our hard working staff. Heartfelt thanks for the great review. It was our pleasure to have you and we can’t wait to have you back!
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

When I arrived at the Dorchester to check in I was saddened to hear that my reservation was mistakenly made for an incorrect date. While the front desk agent who helped me was very nice and tried his best there was nothing he could do according to his manager. I stood to the side waiting on the phone with the booking agency in order to change it. While all this was happening they chose to not tell me the room I had booked was no longer available but instead let me know once the issue had been fixed that the only thing they could provide me was a suite. This was a fun, romantic getaway and I wasn't going to let this mishap ruin my weekend. But then a person who I assume is a manager very rudely, without so much as glancing at me, calculated the cost and told the clerk to let me know the cost in case I could not afford it. I was so embarrased I just handed the clerk my card so I could get out of there. He very politely provided me with a king suite and sent me on my way. The room upon entering had a stale cigarette smoke smell and the living room furniture was dusty. I called front desk and asked for someone to spray the room and a few minutes later someone showed up at the door and handed me a can asking me if I could do it myself or if they had to come in also. I sprayed the room while he watched and then he left without a word. So far my experience was very disappointing. The next day I asked for a late checkout around 7am and was told I couldn't because they were sold out. I went online and found my same room available for the night so I booked it simply so I could sleep in a little. When my husband went to the front desk to notify them he was very rudely told that we were lucky they would leave us in the room and not make us check out and check back in again. Had I then known that it was better to simply drive home and rest there I would have never booked it again because shortly after construction noises, saws, and what sounded like furniture being thrown around upstairs kept us awake for the rest of the morning. I would not stay here again if they paid me. What should have been a fun south beach getaway actually turned into dusting and spraying our own hotel room, and waking up at 7AM to listening to construction noises.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank You for your time to post the review. I am sincerely sorry that your stay was less than perfect, starting with an incorrect date of arrival on your reservation. I am glad to see that we were able to accommodate you in one of our suites. Once the reservation is found invalid we can provide a walk-in reservation from a choice of rooms that are available. And it will be just that – choice based on availability. In regards to late check outs – we love to provide them if our occupancy allows us to do so. The only way to grant this request while our occupancy was so high is if you would book an additional night. It is a common practice. It is something the front desk is trained to do. There is no reason to express any rudeness while performing such a common task as all of our staff is well mannered and most accommodating. Across the street from our property there is a construction site. The city of Miami Beach is extremely strict with regard to noise and requires all construction sites to maintain a noise level at or below the noise level of the street and surf. In decibels that is 65 decibels. The city forbids the start of construction work to no earlier than 8:30 AM. Once again I offer my apologies, and thank you for writing, as this provides us with valuable feedback. We wish you a better stay in Miami Beach in the future.
Chesham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed for two days recently..quite nice. Forgot my shower hat..never mind I thought, all hotels supply shower hats...except this one. Don't forget to pack one! No complimentary tea and coffee in the room. Most hotels in America provide at least complimentary tea or coffee in their lobbies but not here. No fridge in the room either. Having said that, it was clean and the staff were pleasant and it's fine for a day or two. We were passing through for a cruise.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Dorchester Hotel? Share your experiences!