“noisy place!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

You added Dorchester Hotel to your Saves list
Dorchester Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #116 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Sydney, Australia
“noisy place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

it is a little bit off the road, which is good, but the rooms are not sound proof at all and you can hear noises from outside, like the planes...and from the inside, the air cond is noisy indeed.
Hopefully i had my earplugs from the plane.
Service is ok at the recption, and at the bar too.
Average mark!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Andrej B, Guest Relations Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for your time to post the review. Please accept my apology for any noise disturbances you have experienced. Indeed, we have a great location close to many points of interest, the beautiful beach and exciting nightlife. Being in this exciting location, many factors can contribute to noise levels that can be undesirable. Some however can be controlled and we are doing our best to do so while providing excellent service. Just within the past week we have installed 5 brand new air-conditioning units. We hope you will visit us again in the future and hope your next stay will be better than average.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our last four nights in Florida we stayed at The Dorchester in a family suite. Check in was impeccable, first impression good with service minded staff at the reception and a door man that helped us with the luggage. First impression of the room was ok, but I found hair in the bath tube. Kitchen is very minimalistic in equipment. The first night it was impossible to sleep since we heard everything (heavy trafic and party people passing by) that went on on the street outside our room, second day we went and bought earplugs at Walgreens. After that the sleep was ok. Swimming pool was ok, first day full of leaves and bugs, but cleaner after that. Not child friendly. Average clientel is young party people, we unfortunately did come during spring break. As europeans we were not aware of American holidays.... One very positive thing is that you can have a ticket for a free beach bed from the hotel reception. When checking in you get one, but apparently you can have one for every day of your stay if you just ask. Now to the thing that really annoyed us. Second day of our stay the cleaning lady accidentally throws out my 700€ prescription glasses with the towels. I have no other explication, because our Ipad was left untouched, and who would want to steal a pair of prescription glasses?? Very inconvenient. We looked everywhere, but since I only used them in the hotel room, I knew that I didn't lose them elsewhere. We went to the front desk, and thereafter the procedure took about half a day of our four day stay. After 5 hours the manager came, but that time the police ha already been there to file a report which we needed for the insurance. The manager was very friendly once on spot, but no kind of compensation was offered. Finally, we ourselves asked for and were granted, a late check out free of charge, since our child had a fever and needed a rest. In total a very expensive stay. I would choose other accommodation another time, and not during spring break.

Room Tip: Get earplugs...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2015

I visited this hotel last year may and decided to write a review as it was such a nice trip.

I stayed here for 1 week for my birthday with a group of friends. We had a few issues in the beginning with the rooms but the guest directed us to our travel agent as there was nothing they could do and advised we would have to pay more to rectify the issue. Hmm

Apart from that the hotel was very clean and this was daily. The maids were friendly and a few that were talkative.

I really enjoyed the breakfast as they provided a full English happy days.

We didn't go on any trips but the tour guide representative was very informative and helpful.

The outside of the hotel was very relaxing and they provided happy hour everyday which I enjoyed.

The pool area wasn't great at all but we were in Miami and South beach is only 5-10 minutes walk away.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I was to return.

Near to the beach, shops and restaurants. Perfect location and the hotel itself was quiet.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2015

This is an interesting smaller hotel which seems to primarily cater to the international travelers coming to the Miami Beach area. I chose this hotel since it was within walking distance to the Miami Beach Convention Center where I was attending a conference and was significantly lower priced than others in the area.

It's an older property, but it appears to be kept up in decent condition. Rooms were pretty basic, but clean.

Breakfast is not complimentary and in my opinion overpriced for what you got. Although not on the beach, it's only a two block walk away and they have an arrangement with another on the beach hotel to use their facilities. For being located right on busy Collins Avenue it was very quiet.

I should say a word about parking. The hotel charges $20 per day and can not guarantee you a parking place. They will direct you to other parking lots in the area which can be 2-3 blocks away. When I found this out, I canceled my car reservation and just used SuperShuttle. A colleague who did have a rental car was directed by the hotel to a ramp "which had a deal" with the hotel for the same $20 per night. When he got to the ramp, he was told there was no deal and the rate was $30. If you are staying right here in the beach area, there is probably no need for a car as everything is fairly close.

I might stay here again, not sure.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015

Dear guest i will inform you about my experiens after my i forgott my backpack.And after a 2-3 weeks i have it now in my hand.Many thanks to the staff who stored at the hotell untill i was able to arrange all details how to sendit to my home address.There was valuable items in it and nothing was missing.This is only possible with people who care and are honest.
Special Thanks to Mr Chris Gorgoni manager for his mail updating regarding this matter.
Great Hotel and my Greetings to all of you.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Wednesfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2015

An establishment located in a 1930s Art Deco building restricts the opportunities to modernise. However, there is no excuse for poor decorations and a lack of cleanliness. Paintwork was faded and chipped. In the bedroom, 40% of the window was obscured by an air condition unit. It was barely possible to see through the remaining 60% of the window but that was no bad thing; the view was of a derelict building site across the road. The hotel is on a busy main road and there was a lot of noise throughout the night. I'm sure its not necessary for emergency services to use their sirens in the early hours of the morning.

The floors are wooden/laminate, which make it noisy when people walk around. I think the person in the room above must have been a tap-dancer who needed to rehearse well into the night!

The bathroom was not clean. I don't like standing on other people's hair! Also, the flow of water from the shower made it difficult to get wet.

It was a shame. A historic building of this style deserves better than this. My wife and I were stopping off en route for a Caribbean cruise. We were told this is a **** (to avoid confusion - 4 star) hotel. We've stayed in better 2* hotels than this.

The saving grace was that the staff did all they could to help us. They attempted to resolve what difficulties they could and were conscientious in arranging a taxi to the harbour. They deserve better.

There is no restaurant but Maxine's Bar and Bistro is only a block or two away. You can get good, honest to goodness food there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. There are no good views but at least you can get away from...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2015 via mobile

All other hotels in this area are $300+ a night. I managed to snag this room at $170 for a Saturday-Monday stay. Which was a steal to be able to walk to the beach, walk into the nightlife areas, and a 20 min drive to the airport. I wouldn't recommened renting a car only because parking is $20/night. Uber and Taxis can take you up and down the strip for cheap prices

• Stayed January 2015

Been to Dorchester Hotel? Share your experiences!