“No sleep at this hotel ” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

You added Dorchester Hotel to your Saves list
Dorchester Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #108 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
“No sleep at this hotel ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Paper thin walls, constant street traffic. The bathroom was dirty and crumbling. After a sleepless night a coffee pot in room would be nice. The location is fantastic how ever even in South Beach a little sleep is needed..would not recommend.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
N.Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here for one night before a cruise and would certainly recommend the Dorchester. It is ideally located and is very clean with good sized rooms. It might not be the most modern hotel in Miami but it is friendly and comfortable with a cosy little bar.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located on Collins Avenue just across the street from the hotels that border with the beach. Despite some renovations, the rooms are definitely outdated. A safety deposit box and a mini fridge are available. The bathrooms are regular size, but quite a few things are scratched, the bathrooms were clean, but appeared to be very old. The weekdays day staff were absolutely useless and as we have quickly learned, if you want anything to be done the way you want it, report to the evening or the weekend staff. Call me picky or spoiled, but we had to ask to switch the rooms twice, just so avoid the room facing either the busy Collins Avenue or the hotel pool. The latter even lacked a bath.
We haven't had a chance to try the hotel breakfast, but it did seem to be pretty well-priced. The hotel bar is named 1850, which I'm assuming is the year when the hotel elevator was built. I could probably run by the stairs faster.
With all of the negatives being said, I have to admit that the price was very affordable for any budget traveler in Miami Beach (though I don't know why a budget traveler would even consider going to Miami Beach). The access to the beach was provided through Marseilles (sister hotel) or through South Seas, while Dorchester hands out free passes for the beach chairs and umbrellas. Whatever has been said in the previous reviews must have been heard and we have had no issue with the WiFi whatsoever. Strong connection at all times pretty much. The beds were actually very comfortable. Most of our stay was pretty regular.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Aaron G, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Miami Beach. After reading what you had to say about our hotel, it has come to my attention that our hotel was not up to your standards and that your stay here with us was average. I want to send you an apology as we strive to ensure our guests have an exceptional experience at the hotel. Perhaps in the future we could offer you one of our suite style rooms that are much bigger and more comfortable.

Best regards,
Aaron G
Whistler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

I'll be honest, I was nervous after reading bad reviews on Tripadvisor etc, but I was a lot more impressed. When we arrived we were given a room that had a missing safety deposit box, and no window blind - things we didn't discover until the evening. When we informed Front Desk, they were really helpful in letting us have another room - and letting us choose out of two. For the hassle - they also gave us complimentary WIFI and sunbeds for the next day.

At one point during our stay, the drains in the bathroom started to smell, on the second day Housekeeping had made the odour disappear. It did return a few days later, but housekeeping were on it.

The pool was clean, with sunbeds and towels provided. On the beach, you were able to get two sunbeds and an umbrella for the day with a coupon from Front Desk, costing $16 each time.

At the end of our stay, our bill was as expected, no added extras that people have complained about before. So all in all - we were pretty impressed with our stay.
Don't get me wrong, this is a basic hotel and there are much more upmarket ones in South Beach, but they are also incredibly expensive. This hotel does the job, at a decent price.

The Dorchester is so close to Lincoln Road, the beach and some great bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: We had a good room on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

I recently stayed at the Dorchester Hotel a few months ago and it was fantastic! The location is amazing... smack in the middle of South Beach. When I arrived I was helped out by this wonderful gentleman named Aaron. He took care of my family and I and helped us enjoy a great stay. The room was perfect for my family, except the bathrooms were a little small; however, this did not hinder our stay at all. Overall, we had a great experience and loved our stay!! Thanks Aaron!!!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

My first time to Miami, the hotel was average but looking at prices you get what you pay for. Check in was easy, room was ready at 4pm. Room is nice and clean - I had a one bedroom that was updated on the first floor. This place appears to have been apartments converted to a hotel. The AC worked but was loud. Bar on site prices seemed very high, $15 for a simple mixed drink with crappy TV on the wall - though the bartender was very nice.
Carlos the bellhop was a great help and willing to help in anyway he could - he even offered to run to the store to grab a 6 pack for me to put in my room .
Resort fee of $15 for what, crappy wifi that is slower than dial up.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Been to Dorchester Hotel? Share your experiences!