“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

Save Saved
You added Dorchester Hotel to your Saves list
Dorchester Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #97 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Brooklyn, New York
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The outdoor area, rooms, and decor were lovely but dealing with the staff was a bit of a challenge (except for Cynthia, she was amazing). When we got there, a man checked us in at the front desk and I had a few questions since I had never booked or dealt with a hotel on my own yet. It seemed as though we were bothering him. When I asked about the fiances, he told me that nothing would be charged except a $150 deposit and that wouldn't be charged they were just going to hold the funds. He made me and my cousin give him a credit card each because we had 2 rooms (even though I told him that I was paying for everything). We left him alone after that because I felt like I was bothering him. That night me and my cousin got messages from our banks that $1275 had been charged to our cards. That's a little more than $150. We straightened it out the next day with a much more respectful and competent person. It turns out that he failed to mention that they would be holding the balance plus the deposit, That was just one of the difficulties I encountered with this hotel. I was at the front desk at least once a day during my 5 night stay trying to fix something or getting our keys to work again.

Also, I am not the type to complain but the amount of time i spent on my vacation trying to straighten things out was a little ridiculous. I had a great trip and was glad this hotel was not a million dollars a night but I just wish the staff was a lot easier to deal with. Cynthia was awesome though, she needs a promotion!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

688 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

First impressions were not good. An harrassed and probably incompetent receptionist kept me waiting for at least 10 minutes whilst she struggled with some basic function on her computer and was quite unfriendly, unhelpful and disorganised.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Aaron G, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

First I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us. After reading your review, I am extremely apologetic about the poor customer service that you received while staying at our hotel. It is not up to our hotel standards to give poor customer service and I will do everything I can do ensure that it is nothing less than exceptional going forward.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Miami Beach.
Hannut, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Excellent location but rather poor service (staff has forgotten how to smile - what is rather rare in Florida, we have seen).
Our 2nd floor room was simply and very old fashioned equipped and was very poorly isolated: a lot of noise from inside or outside the hotel. In line with Miami rythm but a bit overwhelming when just landed with 6 hours jetlag to recover... Good it was only for one night...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Aaron G, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me first apologize for not leaving you 100% satisfied with your stay. It's always our intention that our guests have a wonderful experience while staying with us. Excellent and friendly customer service is one of our main priorities at the hotel and I am extremlely apologetic that it was not exceptional for you and your family. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to write the review as it means a lot to us to hear your feedback.

We want to thank you for choosing to stay with us and hope to see you again on your next visit to Miami Beach.

Aaron Gusky
usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Based on reviews here and cost I had higher expectations. My problem was mostly the room. It wasn't very small but for a family of four with a baby it was uncomfortable. The room needs update ASAP - lots of tear and wear. Beds are wobbly. Bathroom is bordering disgusting. No place for necessities - tiny shelf above the toilet, we had to buy new toothbrushes because they fell into toilet. We almost moved to other hotel but decided to suffer another night and not to drag our stuff. Breakfast was not included in our rate - they charge a mysterious 15 percent service fee and also 15 percent gratuity on top of the price. What a rip off. Can't believe I paid so much money for this dump.

Stayed April 2014
Somerset Village, Bermuda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were nice. Right were I wanted to be. Bar seemed expensive to me. Breakfast was very nice. Airport bus stops right outside so that was excellent. I think it was about $3 from the airport. I got the same bus back it has to be the best deal in Miami

• Stayed February 2014
pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Loved this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was smallish, but clean and had character. The courtyard is well kept and the bar has nightly drink specials. THe location is ideal. Close enough to all the action, but quiet at the end of the night. Plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby.
We had access to the beach with two chairs and an umbrella, just a short walk from the hotel.
My only complaint would be lack of parking. I had to park in a nearby garage.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Six Fours, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Wonderful place, very helpful staff ! Especially Carlos !
A great time there.
Well situated in Collins Avenue, 5 minutes walk from the beach, stores and restaurants.
Don't hesitate ! If you plan to go to Miami South Beach, just book there !

Room Tip: The standard rooms are a little too small for 4 people but the suites look just great ! Very clean a...