“Nice hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

Save Saved
You added Dorchester Hotel to your Saves list
Dorchester Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #86 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
“Nice hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent a few nights at the Dorchester Hotel in March and we were very satisfied with our stay. Of course, it may be a little expensive, but everything is in South Beach, and I think it's one of the best value on Collins Ave.

The staff was very helpful. The rooms are OK, but it can get noisy at night (then again, it's South Beach). The hallways look a litlle dated, but the lobby and our room were nice. We took advantage of the beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach (you can get them for a fee at the Marseilles) and we had a wonderful time walking through the Art Deco district, on Espanola Way, and on Lincoln Road.

I have paid less for better rooms in some other places, but it wasn't one block from the beautiful beaches of Miami or just a short walk from Ocean Drive. So, all in all, it was a very good experience for us. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

688 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

It started off when we were given the keys to someone else's room. Mistakes happen so we didn't think much of this.
It wasn't until I tried to withdraw money later that night that I noticed something was wrong. The Dorchester had withdrawn the price of our stay off my credit card six times. When I told them what happened they seemed disinterested and gave me the name of a manager to see the next day. This manager never seemed to be available when I went back. Long story short i did not get the money back for four weeks and spent a lot of the rest of my three weeks in America calling my bank and emailing the hotel. I received the money back a week after I arrived back home.
Other than this a few other times we asked for the staff's help they seemed bored by our queries and were very slow and unhelpful in their response.
The location was ok but I would stay further up near the restaurants and bars. The rooms themselves were quite nice and spacious. The pool was small but adequate.
After the high standard of hospitality experienced at the other hotels we stayed at all over the USA this was awful in comparison.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
EKHGM, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Let me first of all thank you for taking the time to comment
on your stay with us. We do want apologize for any inconvenience
you had while staying with us.

We are always responsive to our guest needs, and if there is an error
on our part we generally go above and beyond to resolve the matter.
There is always a Manager On Duty at our property who is always
eager to assist our guest: if you were unable to reach him, there must
had been some kind of miscommunication.

However, we are pleased that you find our location to be "ok" and that
our rooms are nice and spacious.

We want to assure you that your comments are well taken, and we will
continue to strive to be even better.

Please contact me in order for address this matter in more detail.

Thanks again!

Respectfully yours,
E. Hewitt, CHA
Haedo, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I travelled for a week with my mother. We chose this hotel for the price and location it had, but I had no big expectations about he place. It was really surprising to see that it had quite a nice taste in all the decoration and furniture, and the service provided by the personnel was always excellent.
Something remarkable about this hotel is that it has a very nice place at the entrance, to have a seat and rest surrounded by plants and trees.
The crew at the front desk were always very kind and helpful. Attention on the beach was very good too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kilmarnock, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a few nights stay in Miami and chose the Dorchester for its location and price. The location is ideal, just one street back from the beach and walking distance to Ocean drive and Lincoln road. The staff were very helpful and accommodating, the lobby etc a bit dated and could do with a freshen up. The rooms themselves were lovely with great air con and very spacious. The only downside were the bathrooms which were dated and very small but clean.
Overall I would recommend this hotel if you want comfort, great location, great service at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EKHGM, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on
your over all satisfaction with our property and
its great location.

As you rightly mentioned, we are very fortunate
to be across from the beach and very close to
Lincoln Rd. and Ocean Drive, the heart of South Beach.
We are thankful that you commented about our friendly
staff, our spacious rooms, our clean bathroom, and
great service at a great price.

Thanks again and hope to see you again during your
next visit to Miami Beach, FL.

Reegards,
E. Hewitt, CHA
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Ok so I really LOVED the atmosphere here at this hotel-the decor in the lobby was beautiful, the hotel hallways towards the rooms were also very nice (I stayed in room #206). The hotel offers a great area to sit out & relax in the courtyard as well as well as a nice relaxing swinging gazebo (that was really cute). The pool was very nice as well. Each day they offer free drinks from 7-8 at the bar (located next to the pool)---the bartender on one of the nights was more interested in catering to these young punks (not even sure if they were staying there or not) rather than servicing other clients. She even came to the pool & asked if they wanted more drinks (like really!) I stayed in a junior suit & it was a nice room---the bathroom was a little outdated & none of the windows had screens on them so if you wanted to open the window for anything, keep in mind, you'd be offering bugs & flys a free stay! My AC unit wasn't working that great-I called about it twice & the third time I called I was told "someone already came up to look at it"....so I just left it alone after that. The bed & sofa were both very comfortable--I truly had a nice rest. Overall, it was a pleasant stay however I think for the next time I'll choose another hotel.

Just some extra tid bits:
1-The room I chose did not come with breakfast, so if you want a nice breakfast, it comes at a price (nearly $20)
2-Don't expect to check in super early---I came at 1:30 hoping to get my room & was no--around 2:45, I was provided a room
3-Parking at the hotel is $30 a day! YES A DAY! If you park onsite without paying, they will tow your vehicle-so don't risk it
4-The location is great because it's on a lower end of Collins where it's not so busy & yet close enough in walking distance to Ocean Drive

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
EKHGM, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thanks for taking the time give us you feedback
about your stay, and we apologize for not giving you
100% satisfaction.

We do are however happy that you love our atmosphere,
our great courtyard with the floating bed, our nice pool,
and the free drinks we give during our happy hour. We
are also pleased that youfind our beds to be very comfortable.

Our breakfast is not complementarty: however, depending on
how you book your reservation, we do offer breakfast packages.
Our check in time, like almost every hotel in the area, is 3:00PM,
and if the room is available before check in time, like in your case
at 2:45PM, we will check you in.

Thanks again for youe feedback.

Yours,
Dyer Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After booking on Hotels tonight because of the good deal I was sorry upon arrival. Not only was it hard to pull up (took me three trips around the block as nothing was marked with a sign) and unload our bags, then find parking, but no bell man in view. I tried to find one to unload our 8 bags, (along with where to park), by calling but it seemed that I was transferred to the sister hotel and then back again! I finally was irritated and hung up.

Once inside. The clerk couldnt find my reservation, he instructed me to sit and wait. 15min later he finds it but wouldnt allow me to check in as my husbands name was on the booking not mine (he was at a conference)! At that point I dicide that I will do my work from the hotel bar/pool. The hotel charged for WiFI! Who does that?! Mc Donalds even offers free WiFi!

The next morning we wake just after 12p, after a long night, to the front desk ringing the room instructing us that check out was at 12 and we had to leave. My husband told the lady that we asked for late checkout the night before when we came in. At this point she proceeded to argue with my husband saying that the hotel is full and we must get out of the room. The arguing continued even after he gave the lady the night clerks name, as she was the one who approved it. I was gobsmacked that this lady was arguing like she was! I work in a 4* hotel and we would never Dream of talking to guests like this! It was appalling to hear how she talked to him!

Point being is that you think that youre getting a great deal but they will charge you for everything from parking, to wifi! That the price that we paid we could have staid someplace else and had free valet, bell man, and wifi. The Dorchester is just missing taking care of the little details that makes a stay enjoyable! They are now known to me and my husband as "The DORK-Chester"

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EKHGM, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Let me first of all apologize for not "WOWING"
you like we do most of our guest. It's always our goal
to go above and beyond to ensure maximum guest
satisfaction, and in your case, it appears we didn't pleased you.

We do have a bell man at our property and there are two seperate
drop off and pick up areas at our property: one clearly marked by
the City of Miami Beach " Passanger Loading Zone Parking".

Like in almost all hotels in the world, we can only check in individuals
whose names appear on the reservation, unless prior arrangements
are made with the person(s) on the reservation; obviously, this is for
security, privacy, and legal reasons, and this is why we couldn't check
you in a room with you name not being on the reservation. Yes, like
many hotels on South Beach, we do charge a very small one time fee
for Wifi but we offer internet service to all our guest for FREE in the
area our Business Center. Also, like in almost all hotels in Florida,
check in time is after 3PM and check out time is noon. We do, sometimes,
permit late check out depending on our expected arrivals and occupancy
percentage but ask our to guest to let us know the morning of their departure.
Almost all hotels in South Beach charge for parking, and our parking charge
is among the lowest in the area.

We do care about all our guest and hope that you will give us another chance
to show you that we are much better than the comments you made in this review.
Nevertheless, thank you very much for taking the time to give us you feedback.

Yours,
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Dorchester is walking distance to so many great cafes, nightlife and the beach. Walking distance to both Lincoln Rd and South Beach. Also it has a great little bar...and is a very good value for families. Our unit had a cute little kitchen and plenty of sitting area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
EKHGM, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thanks for taking the time to let us know that
you were pleased during your staying with us.
We are very fortunate to have a property that
is very close to great cafes, exciting night life, and
next to the beach which amounts to a good value
for the family as you mentioned.

Thanks again and hope you will try us again during
your next visit to South Beach.

Regards,
Management

Been to Dorchester Hotel? Share your experiences!