“One night in the Dorchester Suites” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

You added Dorchester Hotel to your Saves list
Dorchester Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #108 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Stonehouse, United Kingdom
“One night in the Dorchester Suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Get beyond the slightly faded reception area, it is 1930s Art Deco and you find a Nice hotel and great staff especially helpful on late day before flight back to UK. The front desk staff especially Giovanni could not have been more helpful. Room and bed very comfortable. Good link with twin hotel on South Beach.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have just had a 2 night stay at the Dorchester with my partner. We are 27 & 30 years old. We were looking for a hotel that wasn't too expensive and had a good location on South Beach - both of which was met by the Dorchester. The hotel has a modern feel, our room was spacious (we had booked a double and had 2 double beds in our room) and it was clean. The stairway did smell of dog but it was honestly the only thing we could say badly about this hotel. The reception staff were fantastic and we got the impression they really cared about doing a good job and assisting guests with any query. They were really great. There were a couple of added perks that we found really useful (1) as well as having internet access in your room (at a charge) there was a computer available for use at reception free of charge - amazing! (2) there is a touch screen help desk that you can search on with details on eating out, nightclubs etc (3) there is tourist help desk (separate to reception) that can further assist you with outings etc and (4) you are given a pass for each day you stay with them which gives you a lounger and umbrella free of charge on South Beach right by the hotel - amazing! What more could you want. There is a pool, but we did not use this. We were also out and about a lot and did not eat at the hotel, so couldn't comment on that either.

Would I stay at this hotel again on the same budget? - yes.

One thing that did annoy me about Miami generally was that gratuity was already added into the bill and usually at the high end of 18-20%. Personally I don't like this because I think it doesn't encourage good service. I have now been told that you can ask for it to be removed from your bill ... but who wants to do that and kick up a fuss.

EKHGM, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Valued Customer:
Thanks for you you kink words about your
great stay. It encourages us to go the extra
mile to ensure that all our guest have a great
stay, like yours, while staying at the Dorchester.

We hope to see you again during your next
visit in Sunny Miami.

Yours,
E, Hewitt, CHA
Management
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent 3 nights in this hotel beginning of Februari 2013.
We had a long flight from Amsterdam via New York and hoped to enjoy Miami Beach for a few days before going on a round-trip in Florida.

Bad points:
* Dirty smell in the room and on the hallway (made us gag)
* The room was very dirty, dust and dirt everywhere (no difference after "cleaning" )
* 2 Queen beds which were both broken, one was a wooden plank and the other dropped 20 inches on 1 side
* No balcony
* VERY small and dirty bathroom (mold and rust everywhere)
* A lot of noise of the street (streetside room) and the neighbouring rooms, could literally follow conversations when people were talking in the next room
* Expensive parking
* No WiFi
* No coffee/tea making facilities
* No "yes we can"
We literally got sick of the room, had a cough and felt bad for a week

Good points:
* Close proximity to the beach

Room Tip: Don't take streetside rooms because of noise
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I already wrote a review about a previous stay at the Dorchester in March 2012. (Very pleasant). I just recently stayed here again on February 9th 2013 and want to write another review about my most recent stay.

My boyfriend and I traveled to South Beach Feb 2013 for a mix of occasions... miami reunion trip/birthday surprise/ anniversary. I booked this trip as a surprise to him. We stayed here last year on our first trip to Miami together. This year I wanted to spice things up and stay oceanfront in the heart of South Beach, so I booked a room at the Colony Hotel (completely disgusted, read my review on the Colony). Due to a flight delay on the way down to Miami we extended our trip an extra day. Our stay at the Colony was only from Wednesday to Friday and we needed a place to stay Saturday.

The entire time we were at the Colony all we kept saying was we "wished we stayed at the Dorchester again" and "well we learned our lesson for next time". We thought we would be happier staying oceanfront as opposed to stayed on Collins Avenue but now having done both that is completely not true. Once we decided we would be staying an additional night we were scattering around looking for a hotel. I had my boyfriend call the Dorchester on Wednesday and they were sold out for Saturday (we were completely bummed). The next two days I was researching all hotel booking websites and couldnt find anything decent for a reasonable rate and I was starting to get worried. Friday night I went out on a limb and decided to call the Dorchester in hopes maybeeee they would have a room, and indeed they did!!!!! We were ecstactic!

We had to check out of the Colony on Saturday at 11 am and check in at the Dorchester wasnt until 3pm. We figured we would just head down to the Dorchester at 11:00 and store our luggage in the lobby until we could get our room. At this point we were just so happy to be back at a place that was so meaningful to us and so happy to get out of the Colony. Upon check in we were greeted by a very friendly lady (I'm sorry I cant remember her name). She was so kind she immediately phoned the maid to see if there was a room ready for us. Fortunately for us there was and we were checked in shortly after.

The room was bigger, cleaner, and fresher than I had remembered. I can't say enough good things about the Dorchester. Our absolute favorite thing is the garden patio area and the floating bed. The location is so close to Lincoln Road, and only about a 3-5 min walk to the beach. Needless to say my boyfriend and I learned our lesson and we actually PREFER staying on Collins Avenue as opposed to Ocean Drive. Thank you Dorchester for another fabulous and memorable stay (we just wish it was longer)!!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Returned to Dorchester after seven years and were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a five room suite. Quality of service throughout the hotel had not changed since our last visit. Additional surprises were free cocktails during Happy Hour (giving true meaning to the expression) and vouchers for free loungers and umbrellas on the beach behind the Marseille Hotel. Also free wifi in rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

If you've read my "Deplorable" review on the Seagull Hotel then you'll understand just how much Rosa and Silvana saved my family's trip. After checking in and checking right out of the Seagull Hotel because of its lack of cleanliness, safety and security I looked at the Marseilles. After speaking to a reservationist my family had a place to stay! Woo hoo we weren't homeless lol! After packing up our minivan and my 18 month old daughter I drove down to the Marseilles to look at the room and if I liked the room then we had a place to stay. Rosa who greeted us at the desk was so nice and polite. I couldn't thank her enough for being honest and sincere. After telling Rosa my conversation with the reservationist at the Marseilles she got confused and said we don't have any rooms available which was true and they're in the middle of renovations and remodeling. I have to say that I was pretty much gonna throw in the towel and just fly back to Philly where I have my own home! After Rosa did some research she spoke with the exact reservationist I did and realized the hotel I was supposed to go to was The Dorchester. I didn't realize at the time that the Marseilles and The Dorchester are sister hotels. Works for me! Rosa also said that the Marseilles is going thru renovations and remodeling and you want peace and quiet for you and your baby. She read my mind! Love her! So, after getting in the van once again off to another hotel I pulled into the Dorchester and my heart melted. What a sense of relief! My mom and I literally almost cried we were so happy to see such a beautiful courtyard and hotel. We walked into check in and Silvana was eager to help. I've seen recent reviews and people have stated that she was rude and I have to say that you really need to understand her job and stress. She was such a big help and couldn't be more thankful for her generosity. We were allowed to see the exact room we were staying in prior to paying for it. I loved the room and everything about it. Clean, modern and safe! After checking in and having our adorable bell man Wilder help us with our luggage I was thankful for such a wonderful staff and finally felt relaxed. After seeing Silvana that day and the next she wanted to know how we liked our room and if we had a good nights rest and were able to relax! Heck yeah we did! Rosa also did the same as well. Both woman eager to do their job and wanted to help! I also wanted to thank Marines who works in the breakfast lounge. She was so nice as to putting my daughters Avent bottle sanitizer in their microwave. She did it every morning and was super nice and never had an issue with doing something that was out of her job. I'll tell ya when you ask people these days to do something that's not part of their job you get an attitude--not here! I have to say I never ran into to anyone who worked here that wasn't willing to help. What a wonderful hotel! I also have to note that the room we stayed in was clean, beds were comfy, linens were beautiful, bathroom was clean and spacious, safe and fridge worked and our view was nice as well. I liked the fact that we had full use of the Marseilles amenities. Who cares if you have to walk there...you have a beach pass with 2 chairs, towels and an umbrella and you have a Marseilles beach employee set everything up for you! Thank you to everyone who helped my family on our stay! I can't remember everyone's name and I'll remember them eventually!

• Stayed January 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

All of the people at the hotel were so friendly and happy to help. The moment we arrived to the hotel, our rooms were upgraded. I could not recommend this hotel any more. The only down fall is that there was no food served (excluding breakfast). It was very affordable and we I can confidently say that we certainly got our money's worth.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dorchester Hotel? Share your experiences!