“Great place to host events!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

You added Dorchester Hotel to your Saves list
Dorchester Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Special Offer
Winter Escape
Ranked #113 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami, Florida, United States
“Great place to host events!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I went on 9/30/12 to the Dorchester Hotel for the first time. I attended the event for Pancreatic Cancer Action Network called Purple Lights. It was hosted outside in the entrance patio. The place was spacious, cozzy and very nice!!! It has a beautiful garden with a really nice large tree for great pictures and they have a nice cute bar. I also liked that in the event of rain there was space inside the hotel to transfer the event inside.

I found out the owner of the place, Lloyd, donated the space to Pancreatic Cancer Action Network for free!!! Thanks to Lloyd for his generosity and for helping the fight against pancreatic cancer. Cheers!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed for three days here and had a lovely time. We got upgraded to a suite which was actually a one bedroom apartment. Neat furnishings, nicely maintained property. Excellent staff and the front desk dealt easily with any request. The property is beautiful with an onsite pool and gardens. Very convenient with only a block over to the beach and they also have access to amenities of a sister hotel which is beachfront. The only downside I saw was that there is not a view from the hotel but like I said the property is pretty and enclosed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked this hotel based on the pictures of various websites; I was expecting a room like an apartment with fridge, table, chairs, coffee rusted machine, but I just got a normal room. The room has been modernized, consisted of laminate floor, fairly modern furniture and flat TV screen and a small bar fridge. Unfortunately the modernization did not extend to the bathroom which bath had once being repainted and that was peeled off, showing 2 colours (the original and the one were the newish painting was still surviving. Tiles were cracked and curtain real and plug wholes were rusted. The rooms have rather old air conditioners which are quite noisy and the windows and blinds are absolutely filthy.

The hallways are indeed very dated, to the point of being creepy, and the pool area needs a bit of attention. It could benefits considerably if someone sweeps the fallen leaves of the floor.

The good point about the hotel is location, about 500 metres from Lincoln Road and the attentiveness of their staff. The hotel has a daily service charge that covers the use of a pool towels or the use of the facilities of its sister hotel about 150 metres across the road and or lounges and umbrella in the beach by the sister hotel. If you don’t want to use these facilities you still have to pay the service charge because is compulsory.

The hotel has also a small parking area but they charge you U$S 32 per day, which is quite expensive for the area.

The hotel provides different kind of breakfast at different rates, it starts at U$S 6.99 for a couple of croissants, the U$S 8.99, US$ 9.99 and U$S 14.99 for the most complete option which consist of and omelette, bacon and sausages, cereal and fruit. Coffee is charged separately from the cheapest menus at U$S 2.99 a cup. I can only comment on my personal experience but the day I had breakfast they run out of orange juice, which seemed a bit odd for a 3 stars hotel.

The hotel has no restaurant or room service. There is a bar which hold a daily happy hour from 7 to 8 in the evening which charge only U$S 1 for the bartender choice. During my stay this was only 1 kind of drink which was vodka and lemonade. Although it is a bargain the happy hour has only that promotion so if you are not a vodka person that’s it for you. The bar also has limited variety of beer just 2 brands Heineken and Corona. One day I asked the bartender for some crisps or peanuts and he told that he did not have any but I could buy them myself from the next door supermarket…..

Would I recommend this hotel?, well with the current economic climate I would say that you can find better options for the same price range, location is very good but that only doesn’t do it all for me. When I book a 3 stars hotel I want the hotel to deliver the standards of a 3 stars hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is awesome. The are very accommodating The rooms are all newly renovated and I know because I stayed there before renovation ant it was still awesome. The staff is attentive. I wanted to change room several times and they were more that accommodating. The reason for room change was because first I wanted a view of the pool then I change my mind and wanted a view of the street to see all the action. The hotel rooms are clean nicely decorated and modern. They also have sweets that are fully furnish and you can cook your own meals as they provide pots and pans. The ac works well and there is free wifi that works well I was constantly on the laptop when in the room. There is breakfast offered at a price and room services. There is a resort fee of I think $7. There is unlimited towels. House keeping does a great job (make sure you leave a tip). There is also happy hour and you can tip $1 per drink. The value is great for the price. Best of all it near everything so unless you plan on touring all of Miami on your own no car needed. ( I believe the parking is a bit pricy call before you get a car and you can compare to other hotels which is about $25-35 daily). This place is great for couples, singles, business, friends or solo as it is located near all the action but you do not hear the outside nose. If you there for business stay a way from the street rooms as those are the only room where you may hear noise. there is also a fitness center thats included in your rental. The pool is wonderful. I love this hotel very much I was trying to stay here this October buy they are booked and I am sad :( ...

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but if you have a problem or just want a different view they will change the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Milford, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was a bit hesitant in booking this hotel since there was quit a bit of negative comments, I stayed in this hotel with 3 other ladies, The staff was courteaus and professional. Very convenient to the beach and other amenities. The only downfall was the noise from construction early in the morning. If we did not have to get up that early that would have been an issue. Next time I will be requesting a larger room if possible. Overall experience was a Plus...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in this small and cozy hotel for one week August 2012. The room was nice and spotlessly clean, the bathroom a bit small, which nevertheless was okay, but all our compliments do go to the wonderful staff and equal service. Not a question was not being correctly responded to and despite the stress of (often) too many people wanting attention at the reception desk at the same time, there would always be a friendly signal to inform that you were noticed.
Towels for the beach or swimmingpool were given to us whenever we needed them and for as little as 10 dollars there is also the availability of beach chairs and umbrella (a necessity during the time we were there).
We did not use the breakfast facilities every day, but if we did, whatever we asked for was provided in huge quantity and presented nice and neat.
When a mistake in our final bill appeared, the receptionist asked the manager to take care of it and things were then quickly settled.
Miami Beach was another great experience for us (we had been here a couple of times before), but staying at The Dorchester felt like a nice 'home away from home'.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed last week in the hotel and the rooms are very big; staff was super friendly and the location was great. One perk is the self parking; it can be difficult to find parking in South Beach! Overall, we had a great time; felt safe walking in the evening as the property is within walking distance to many restaurants. Really enjoyed it; will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dorchester Hotel? Share your experiences!