“Loews over Memorial Day weekend - Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manhattan
“Loews over Memorial Day weekend - Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

My husband and I decided to fly to South Beach over Memorial Day weekend on the spur of the moment. We had no idea where to stay, but a friend recommended the Loews. So, I contacted the property directly and booked a room. The reservationist on the phone was very pleasant and helpful. She told me about the Loews First Program and recommended that I sign up, so my husband and I can get free services at the hotel (i.e. welcome gift, free daily paper, complimentary use of fitness center, etc.). I highly recommend doing this, too!

After booking the hotel, I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and started to get worried. People either loved it or hated it. I didn't cancel my reservation b/c all the other SoBe hotels were booked and the supposedly "hip" hotels required a 3 night stay and were ridiculously expensive.

Then the day before we departed for Miami, I read online about Urban Beach Week in South Beach. And what I read wasn't good at all. People basically said to "stay away" from South Beach over Memorial Day weekend. It was too late for us to cancel, so we went not knowing what to expect.

We arrived at the hotel and there were State Trooper cars in the driveway. There was an obvious police presence in the hotel, as well as all throughout South Beach. Despite all the security, the staff at the Loews tried to make us feel comfortable. We had no problem checking in. We got our room early (1 pm), even though check-in is at 4 pm. And w/in 2 hours of check-in, we got our welcome gift - a bottle of wine and nuts.

Because of Urban Beach Week, the hotel asked that we carry our room key and picture ID with us at all times. Not a hassle since we would have them on us at all times anyway. ID was checked everytime you entered the hotel and the pool area. I actually saw some people get kicked out of the pool area for not having the proper ID. It was all done discreetly and there were no scenes. I only happened to noticed since I was busy people watching.

The pool area was crowded, but not to the point that there were no lounge chairs. I was able to lay-out by the pool the entire weekend and got a lounge chair in a nice sunny area. I went to lay-out at 1 pm one day and then at 3:30 pm another time. The pool boys and the wait staff were very pleasant and were always around to help and take food/drink orders. The only thing I would complain about is that it cost $10 to use a lounge chair and $15 for an umbrella.... Expensive considering I was already paying close to $500/night to stay at the hotel.

The hotel room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also very clean, which is important to me. Housekeeping cleaned our room by 11 am the entire weekend. I was impressed that they got to our room so fast considering that the hotel was at 100% occupancy that weekend.

The Loews is in a great location. Not on Ocean Drive, so no need to worry about the traffic and congestion. The hotel is close to Lincoln Road and within walking distance to everything.

I didn't eat at any of the hotel's restaurants, so I can't comment on the food. We did have brunch at Emeril's, and that was just okay. I expected more from his restaurant.

I really don't know what other posters were complaining about with the Loews. My husband and I had a very positive experience at the hotel. We would go back and stay there again.

I would also like to commend the Loews on how they dealt with the crowds due to Urban Beach Week. It was indeed "crazy" in SoBe that weekend. Lots of traffic, people, loud music, etc. I never felt the craziness until I left the hotel grounds and went walking along Collins and Ocean Dr. I always felt safe and comfortable while in the hotel.

I would highly recommend the Loews to anyone.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

The hotel and rooms are beautiful. Everything else was terrible. I stayed there for 3 nights.
The bathroom shower was clogged and they did not come to fix it until the last night, despite numerous calls for assistance.
The service at the restaurants were terrible. We waited over an hour for them to bring our our orders, then waited another 15 minutes for them to bring utensils.
To top it all off, our car was dented in the valet (A Very Obvious Dent) And we had to jump through hoops in order to report it.

The staff is just rude. It is WAY over-priced for the service you get. Stay at the Ritz...you'll get better service...and it's cheaper!

• Liked — The room was nicely appointed and had a great view.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Winston-Salem, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

Some of the previous reviews suggest the rooms are small and the furniture worn and that the pool is overcrowded and dirty. I didn't find this to be the case at all. I stayed five nights the week of May 6-11 for a large meeting so got a good rate of $210 (I think the room was normally $399). Upon check-in, after a hellacious day of travel and delays due to weather (and Atlanta), arrived at the hotel about 10 PM (I was supposed to arrive about 5PM), the desk was very nice about upgrading me after I told them I was a LoewsFirst member (join online for free). The upgrade is normally a part of the membership, but because of the meeting rate, the membership didn't apply. The desk people were very nice about telling me this, then upgraded me anyway to a Deluxe room from a Standard. I was very pleased to find myself on the 15th floor with what seemed to me a full view of the ocean (my balcony was parallel to the beach, whereas many of the rooms have balconies that are perpendicular to the beach). Having this balcony was a great asset since I could sit and just stare out at the beautiful ocean. Other rooms have balconies that face the city; I don't think this would be too pleasant. The room number was 1510. The room was just fine with fresh new furniture, 2 queen beds (I asked for king, but wasn't able to get one), an outstanding but expensive minibar with many upscale brands, and a adequate bathroom. Comfortable bed and linens. The tub was shallow, but otherwise it was fine. Lots of towels, and terrific bathrobes. All the typical amenities. The room was cleaned by 10AM, and turndown service was done by 8PM. Nice flatsecreen TV. The room was spotless and the folks cleaning the rooms were really pleasant. Also, there was free shoe-shine service which I took advantage of. I spent a lot of time on the balcony. The only problem with the balcomy would be if you had noisy or nosey neighbors since the balcony is shared with the room next door, and the partition is only waist high. However, I never saw or heard my neighbor, so no problem. The pool area is lovely; I always got a chaise lounge by the jacuzzi which is in an area above and a little detached from the pool. Good shade and umbrellas. The staff at the pool were very nice and did a good job placing the fitted towels over the cushions. Very comfortable. The pool area was only crowded in the early afternoons and I had no trouble getting a place to stretch out and have some of the hardy drinks from Nautilus, the poolside bar. Drinks are expensive but well-poured; an alternative would be to buy liquor at a nearby liquour store (there are a few) and pour drinks in your room in plastic cups. I don't think a small container with drinks would be a problem at the pool. The beach is just over the dunes from the pool area through locked gates. There is a really nice walk that goes to Ocean Drive between the pool area and the beach; good for walking to the party areas on South Beach. The beach is not really my thing, but it was ok. A little rocky and a significant drop-off at the water and a good undertow. But if you are a beach person, I'm sure it would be fine. Good security, never felt unsafe or that riff-raff was invading the place. There were children in the pool, but parents were keeping them under control. I felt like most of the pool area was adultish since the shallow part of the pool is off to one side. No obnoxious drunks or parties when I was there. Just pretty, happy people. The Hemisphere Bar at the hotel is nice and has a lovely sitting area outside with comfortable seating and lovely landscaping. There are a lot of people at the pool by mid-afternoon, but it's not at all overwhelming; most people were sunning and not in the pool. Emeril's was very tasty but expensive, but also very convenient. Only had a crabcake sandwich at the hotel restaurant and it was very good, but expensive. A 16 ounce draft beer at the bar runs about $6.72, with tax and tip included. Beware that tip (17%) is already included in everything. A margarita at the poolside bar runs about $12.00. The hotel was very clean and polished, though it was also very busy. I t hink it was sold out the week I was there, so that's about 800 rooms. The location is great, with Lincoln Rd. a blockd north, and all of Ocean Drive a few blocks to the south. South Beach was fun and lively with lots of restaurants (and people!). Mornings were especially nice to walk around, and the Front Porch Cafe on Ocean Drive was really good; a nice place to eat and read the paper. Overall, I thought this hotel was very nice, the staff was very pleasant and helpful. I was there on business, so I didn;t pay my own way. I guess like any experience things could have been less pleasant, for example if I had noisy neighbors sharing the balcony, or if I had not had the excellent view from my balcony. Or if I had to pay myself since it was pricey.

• Liked — the balcony and pool area
  • Disliked — the cost
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

stayed just one night on our way down to the keys. loved it. didn't expect too much, as the price was not out of sight (like most of south beach is). the room was excellent, small but very clean. the bellman FANTASTIC. pool servvice was a little slow, but we it was cinco de mayo, so there was a lot going on. we had a great time, and plan to do a weekend there soon.

Stayed May 2007
atlanta, ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

Very professional and friendly from check in to departure. Amazing, attentive service when I thought the fridge in the mini bar made too much noise--they brought up a whole new one within one hour. The only complaint was the coffee from room service really wasn't good---all other food from room service was great though. I would love to stay there again. We are beach people so we didn't use the pool---lots of kids. If we had kids it would have been ok.

• Liked — comfy beds
  • Disliked — lots of kids at pool
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

We just got back from the Loews Miami Beach. This was our second stay at this same property, the last being about 1.5 years ago. Our last stay was perfectly wonderful, so we were really looking forward to returning.

The good - our room, a partial ocean view was amazing. View of both the beach & the city from the balcony, clean room, nice size bathroom. We loved the comfy bed & the views.

The bad - Our experience this time with the customer service was a huge disappointment. We paid $65 to do the "bed" and an umbrella on the beach, which would have been perfect, but after over 2.5 hours, the Loews server never once came over to ask us if we wanted anything to drink/eat.

My boyfriend then went to the little hut which seemed to be their base and asked if we could order drinks there. The server rudely told him that he was the only one working until just before that (there were now three people) and if he'd just go back to where we were laying out, he would get to us in a few minutes.

Another hour (really, an hour) went by, still no server. We were fairly agitated at this point as it had been over 3 hours that we'd been out there. The server then proceeded to get drinks for everyone around us, and ignored several "excuse me sir" calls by my boyfriend as he went by.

After finally approaching the manager, we got an apology and two free drinks. At first, I was fairly ok with this resolution, but then we were on the beach for another 1.5 hours and the servers still continued to wait on everyone around us and ignore us. They seemed a little overly fixated with the 5 topless young ladies nearby...

Also, the front desk staff and concierge all now have that "I'm too important to help you" attitude that is common to SoBe. Before, we had really been impressed by how friendly they were.

I'm supposed to go back next month, and I'm looking at other hotels. While the room itself was great, we had a much better experience with the service in the past. I was very disappointed.

• Liked — The room & the comfy bed
  • Disliked — Lack of beach service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I see everyone either hates this property of loves it. I think it will boil down to what you are expecting in a resort located right on South Beach. You can expect the rooms to be small, the pool to be over crowded, etc. That said, I think this property was great. When leaving and I asked the front desk how to get to the freeway, they asked me where I was going and the printed me out something from mapquest. I liked that.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Loews Miami Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!