“Loved the Loews” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Loved the Loews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

We booked Loews as a second choice hotel as the first one we requested was not available and we were so pleased with our second choice!! This hotel is in the heart of the South Beach area, only a 5 min walk to Ocean Drive and 5 mins to Lincoln Road (restaurants and shops). It's definately one of the more upmarket hotels on that stretch of beach and it has every amenity needed.

The hotel staff are friendly and helpful and were happy to accomodate our room change because our first room had a view of a wall!!! The only thing we would warn everyone about is that the poolside gets very very busy and we would recommend going down early to reserve loungers (they keep them for an hour). Also the drinks and food at the pool bar/restaurant are expensive compared to buying them from outside. Saying that Miami is very expensive compared to other parts of America we have been to but it's buzzing and there are loads of restaurants and bars to try. We saw the July 4th fireworks on South Beach and they certainly know how to party! Loews is by far one of the best hotels on South Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

I just returned from a fabulous week long stay at the Loews. The rooms were impeccable and the service was top notch. Yes the food and drink by the pool were pricey but they were also great quality, the drinks were very strong and beautifully presented and the sandwiches were huge (we usually shared one).

I was especially pleased with the security at the hotel. South Beach Hotels can have problems with pool crashers, This was not a problem at the Loews where poolside security checked keys all day and night (pool open 24hrs). Also at one point I was locked out of my room and the maid and bellhop that were passing by would not open the door for me. When security arrived they asked for ID before letting me in. This is a huge hotel with over 800 rooms and I was comforted to know they weren't just letting anyone in.

As for the noise issue in the rooms, I was right by the elevator and the only time I ever heard any noice was when Italy beat Germany in the world cup my neighbors were yelling a bit. Other than that it was quiet and I slept like a baby on those soft, comfortable beds!

The "summerfest" activities were great. Every hour there was something else going on and the pool staff was constantly handing out something, whether it was frozen grapes, cool aloe vera towels, Italian ices, smoothies etc. This went on all day long.

My only complaint would be that it took FOREVER to get the car back from valet. You can however call down from your room ahead of time to avoid that headache. At one point there was a wedding at the hotel and the valet experience was a real pain.

I was really impressed by the service at the Loews and I would recommend it to anyone.

Phila,Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

My wife and I just got back from a fantastic long weekernd at the Loew's. We are stilli raving about it. From the minute we walked in and were greeted with Free bottles of Fiji water to the Free grape skewers around the pool,everything was wonderful. Although the room was not big, it was more than adequate for the two of us and it was clean,well stocked and had great towels and a strong hot shower,what else could you ask for? The pool was tremendous and the poolboys were always able to find you chairs. We travel 3-4 times a year sometimes with kids sometimes without, either way I would not hesitate to go back to the loews for a second. Finally, although the food at the pool is expensive, it was delicious and generally each sandwich is large enogh to be shared, which we did after stuffing ourselves the first day. Enjoy!

Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Loews July 4 through July 7th. We had a very nice partial ocean view room. The room was very clean, the bed was extremly comfortable, the room was cleaned twice daily with the turn down service each night. Yes, the drink prices are very expensive. However, you can walk to CVS and buy whatever you want and then pour it into a Loews cup and go anywhere with it. The management just doesn't want you to have drinks that you didn't purchase from them, but if it is in one of their cups they don't know the difference. We did buy a few frozen drinks from Loews and they were very good and made with top shelf brands so you get a good drink. We didn't eat at the hotel because there were too many other restaurant options down Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road. Also, we also discovered that you can catch a metro bus for $1.50 which beats the $32 taxi ride and go down to Bayside Marketplace where you can catch a boat tour, shop, and eat. The bus was clean and not scary at all. In fact when we go back to Miami we will venture out a little more and it will most likely be the bus we take. It was a great experience for us at the Loews we really enjoyed our stay and would stay here again. It was awesome!

minneapolis, mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

We stayed at the Loews in South Beach over the 2006 4th of July weekend. We arrived on Sunday the 2nd at about noon and the hotel had tons of activity so when we arrived by taxi, none of the personnel outside came to help us or welcome us or say anything to us. I am a working class guy just looking for a nice hard earned vacation so none of that bothers me since it makes me feel uncomfortable anyway. When we went inside the lobby to check in I was looking for my complimentary waters but no one came over to us. We were told that rooms were guaranteed by 4 pm (which we knew beforehand) so the front desk took our cell # and said that they would call when a room was ready. We did our best to make nice with the front desk man and even gave him a $20 tip and asked for a "nice" room. He said that the tip was not necessary but we insisted and said no problem. We checked our bags and went to Prestons for some overpriced brunch. Dont get me wrong, it was a good spread with good food butyou can have better food for about 1/3 the price if you venture either North or South of the hotel a block or two. (Personnel recommendation for breakfast goes to Jerry's Deli about a block and a half south of the front of the Loews on Espanola Way. EVERYTHING under the sun served 24/7 at resonable prices).
Anyways, after about an hour we got the call that a room was ready. We went back to the front desk and the front desk guy seemed to have not even noticied who were again and said that they had a "partial ocean view on the 4th floor of the St Moritz tower ready for us". We had read reviews and were hesitant to accept the St Moritz tower, but the young man insisted it was a very nice room and that there was no guarantee that anything else would come available and if he were us he would take it. So we reluctantly accepted. HUGE mistake. Our "partial ocean view" looked out the side of the St Moritz tower on to a bunch of construction and the side of the adjacent hotel with about a 25 foot sliver of beach view that you had to strain your neck to even see. The room itself was clean and pleasant but the walls were paper thin and we were right across from the elevator so every few seconds we heard "DING" and the slamming of the heavy doors from everyone else on the floor and the A/C would bang on and off periodically not to mention all the street noise of every wannabe rapper's pounding bass. My girlfriend works in a hotel and really wanted us to have a nice vacation since it was our first in many years and was brought to near tears by this room where we were to have our romantic and relaxing getaway.
I was still wide awake at 1:30 from all the noise and finally decided to do what most people hate to have to. I went to the front desk to tell them that the room was very unsatisfactory, which was what ANYONE reading this should do if you check in and they try to put you in the St Moritz tower. I was told that they would call me tomorrow again when a new room opened up and we could move. So at 2 in the afternoon we called to check the stauts and were told they were just getting them prepared and would be ready shortly. At 6pm the next day we had to go to the desk to find out what the deal was. We played good cop/bad cop with the front desk and finally were given a new room. This time we got it right. We got a room in the new tower on the 18th (top) floor looking directly at the oceanside far away from the elevators. The rest of the vacation was great at Loews. Pool was very nice and staff (other than front desk who could care less) was over the top nice. Prices were outrageous (2 beers poolside and a sandwich came to $49!!!) But we knew this going in and expected it. You are better off to walk around the corner to Lincoln Road to the CVS pharmacy and grab your beer or the liquor store 2 blocks north and pick up a bottle and a mixer and fill your own plastic cups. Massages poolside were a highlight.
I could still smell smoke in the entranceway to the room from time to time but it did not go "into" the room and we could still hear hallway noise but we must have got lucky and for the most part had a good floor with copnsiderate people on it, because it was not as much a problem as it was on the St Moritz tower.
I would stay at the Loews again but I believe that you could do better. The Loews St Moritz tower is unacceptable for a hotel of their stature and I would insist on not staying anywhere in that tower if I were to go again. Do yourself a favor and hold out for anything in the new tower, the higher up the better I think. Save your $$ and walk down the street. South beach weather was beautiful and I felt safe walking up and down the streets at anytime of day or night. All in all after the first day and a half in the sub par rooms we got the vacation that we wanted.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

The hotel is great but it a dog barks all night... I guess this is pet friendly hotel so there are dogs. Not sure why dogs were barking, maybe their owners left them alone but the fact is - dogs may make lots of noise at night - this is what happened to us. The security tried to help but it took him up until 1am to make the dog quiet....
So watch out for that, especially with thin walls it may become a problem.
Everything else in this hotel is very good

• Stayed July 2004
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

My two-night stay at Loews left a lot to be desired. I arrived at Loews with my sister and a friend on Friday, June 30 at 11:30 am. Upon arrival, we proceeded to the reservations counter to check-in. I had requested a non-smoking, corner room on an upper floor. However, the clerk told us that there was only one room available that was clean, which happened to be on the fifth floor. Otherwise, we would have to wait until 4:00 pm for more rooms to become available. Well, if it smells like a lie and sounds like a lie . . . . There was a lobby full of people behind us waiting to check-in and I found it mighty funny that other guests were able to get rooms immediately without having to wait until 4 pm. I am sure these people were not checking into uncleaned rooms. Go figure. Anyway, since my sister and friend were hungry and eager to get settled we took the "only clean room" that was available. HUGE MISTAKE. Even though we had a partial view of the ocean, our room was directly above the roof of the hotel's lower level. Before I could spot the ocean, I had to peer over air-conditioning units and debris blowing around on the rooftop. It was a less than appealing view and reminded me of the view from the window of a Motel 6. Furthermore, I have 20/20 vision, but still found it hard to see through the dirty windows that had obviously not been cleaned since the last hurricane blew through town. The walls were so thin we could hear the conversations of all the other guests on the floor. Our stay at Loews seemed to get worse by the minute. We were awakened in the middle of the night by our next door neighbors who were deeply engulfed in a heated argument. Despite the fact that we were on a "non-smoking" floor, our room was filled with the sickening smell of cigarette smoke, which was apparently coming from the hallway. This was unacceptable as I am allergic to cigarette smoke and my sister has asthma. Then, after our first night, we awoke to find ants in the bathroom. Totally disgusting. There were ants crawling all over the bathroom floor, sink, and countertop. To make matters worse, my sister found ants traveling aimlessly on her toothbrush. Need I say more? While the right thing to do would have been to offer us another room, management sent up some incompetent maintenance person to look at the ants and tell us there was nothing he could do. After complaining to the manager, we were given a programmed apology and promised a complimentary meal voucher. Well, we waited and waited and waited for the voucher to be brought to our room and it never showed up. We were hungry, tired, and ready to eat so we called the front desk to check on the status of the voucher and were told that the manager was "bringing it right up". Again, we waited, and waited, and waited. After calling the front desk many more times to inquire about that elusive voucher, the staff began hanging up on us and eventually, completely ignored our calls. So much for customer service. Finally, we decided to get out of our horrible hotel room and check out the Southbeach nightlife. By this time it is after 1:00 am in the morning. My friend suggested that we stop by the front desk on our way out to check on the voucher. The young guy at the front desk searched and searched, but couldn't find a voucher. Finally, after drilling us and treating us as if we were children with our hands caught in a cookie jar, he said he would be right back. After about a minute or two had gone by, he finally showed back up and wrote out a $100 voucher. We appreciated the gesture until we discovered $100 doesn't buy much at this overpriced inn. There were three of us and once tax plus 18% gratuity was calculated added, $100 covered a meal for one. Thank goodness we were checking out the next day. We grabbed breakfast at the coffee bar before leaving on Sunday morning. We sat at a table where the paint was peeling off the chairs and the seat cushions contained unsightly stains that resembled something a child had mistaken for a toilet seat. I have stayed in nice, luxury hotels all over the world and Loews is among the worst. If your budget will allow it, I recommend avoiding Loews and spending your money at a "real" luxury hotel. Loews is a three-star hotel at best. They put up a great facade and fool their guests with a beautifully landscaped exterior, but the hotel's interior is where the truth lies. Simply put, Loews is overpriced and overrated. If you plan to sleep by the pool, then Loews is the perfect place. If you plan to sleep in a bed, go elsewhere. I will never stay at this place again. Next time, I will spend a few extra bucks and book at the Ritz.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Loews Miami Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!