“Great Location!! But definitely for families!!” 4 of 5 stars

Free Beverages!
Ranked #35 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mexico
“Great Location!! But definitely for families!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I truly believe that location is everything!! two blocks away from Lincoln Rd shopping and restaurants on the open-aire, two blocks away from Ocean Drive busy street, my favorite spots nearby : ) !! (casa tua, terrazza, delano) and a wallgreens on the corner, you name it !!! That in case you need medicines for kids, or beers, snacks and water for mommy to take to the beach and save some money lol . Because the pool is totally packed with kids since early morning, no place for sunbath!! So... you will have to go to the beach (200 usd per day, includes extra beach chairs and umbrellas or a single beach chair for 20 usd) and come back to the pool later in the afternoon. We had two connected rooms beacuse i went with a friend and our 3 year old kids with a nanny, the rooms were ok but not as you will expect for the price you are paying. I stayed a week, and two days we came back in the afternoon and our rooms weren´t clean! But.... i must say that we left the room at eleven o'clock in the morning.... Concierge was very good, my kid got an eye infection and in less than one hour a doctor was in the room checking on him. is the second time i visit this hotel in this year.You can always find ways to save money, but location is everything!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Alex T, General Manager at Loews Miami Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Maura G,

Thanks for the positive feedback regarding your April visit to our property. We are so glad to hear that your family enjoyed our premier location in South Beach and emphasis on kid's activity. Look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our initial "feel" of this hotel was it was factory-like, large and impersonal. That was unfair, it remained impersonal but the property overall is excellent with the best staffed pool we have used.
We took a junior suit which seem to be all on the 4th floor and overlooked Collins Avenue rather than the beach but was very roomy. Despite this noise and hence sleeping wasn't a problem.
The Loews has great access to the beach and is handy for the restaurants on Ocean Drive or Lincoln Avenue. Forget the dreadful hotel breakfast and instead walk the 100 yards to Jerry's Deli on Collins - excellent.
In spite of the fact that it was apparently a school holiday week the hotel is so large it didn't impact on us.
The Loews may lack some of the atmosphere of say the Delano but it delivers a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rover10,

We appreciate your posting and were excited to hear that your family enjoyed their pool & beach experience. We've recently upgraded our breakfast buffet in Preston's, including the addition of a new juice bar. Look forward to you experiencing this during your next trip to Miami Beach.
Weybridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

As my husband and I love Sobe we decided to take the kids for a few days before driving up to Orlando. As the kids love pools and the beach, the Loews looked to fit the bill and was ideally located right by Lincoln road so we could go wandering/shopping in the evening.

The pool is great but busy however given we had just flown in from the UK we were awake in plenty of time to nab beds though this appeared to be a problem for others as the day wore on. On one occasion, after lunching at the pool bar, we returned to find a couple had removed our towels and belongings from two of our beds and set up camp themselves!

There are plenty of towels for use at the pool and entertainment throughout the day for kids. There are cabanas available that looked good but rental was some eye wateringly large sum!

Food and cocktails at the pool bar were excellent but the kids had breakfast in prestons one morning and I found it fairly average and overpriced.

We took a room upgrade at check in so we would have a balcony and ocean view. The view was superb however as soon as I saw the balcony my heart stopped. We were on the top floor of the hotel and the balcony had horizontal rather than vertical bars. Wonderful for keeping the Art Deco theme of Sobe but easily scalable by children. Needless to say ours were banned from going near the balcony without an adult. I would recommend getting a room on a lower floor where the balconies are solid brick and less of an open invitation to active climbers!

The room had two SMALL beds and after no sleep on the first night my husband and I had to split with the kids as the beds were far too small for two adults. This didn't actually improve sleep quality as the beds were horribly uncomfortable but it was only two nights so we could live with it. Next time I'd get a king and a rollaway and the kids can share the rollaway.

Staff were generally friendly and the concierge told my husband he'd be better parking our rental in the garage directly opposite the hotel rather than using the valet as it would save a fortune. He was totally right. We appreciated his honesty and noted that this was also where the valets took all the cars anyway.

When we checked out we did find the bell hop service restrictive. Rather than leaving them to gather our cases for us to collect after we had lunched we were told we'd have to wait while the bags were collected which could take up to half an hour. We chose to collect the bags ourselves and then hand them over for storage saving ourselves 25 mins.

Overall the stay was fine. It did what we asked of it and provided a good base for us to use with the kids. I wouldn't stay here without children as there are some great adult based hotels along Collins but I may stay here again with the kids, taking into account the room preferences noted above.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear SqueakerMum,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit. We pride ourselves on the outdoor experience at our resort, so I apologize for the issue you experienced with chairs at the pool. Our goal is to make sure our service and product experience is magnificent, and built our new SOAK cabana product with guest experience at forefront. We regularly check our Food & Beverage pricing to ensure it is competitive within our market. Hope to welcome your family back to Loews Miami Beach Hotel for future visits.
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

you should only go here if you have young children. They are kept well entertained by the pool and the beach and the pool area is sealed off so you can relax a bit. The pool is however overcrowded and even in the week a sunbed is hard to find.
Tried 3 rooms: regular double city view was ok, rotunda suite large overlooking city, very airy but inferior window frames mean you hear all the noise from the street below. Finally, a normal room with balcony overlooking sea was ok noisewise but cramped for a couple + 1 11yr old.
Dining facilities very limited on site even for breakfast, however at the foot of the building there is an Aroma coffee story with good choice and good coffee.
For 500+ USD you should be getting more for your money elsewhere....

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper then go for beach view only
Dear moritz23,

Appreciate your recent post regarding Loews Miami Beach Hotel. We pride ourselves on being the Hotel in South Beach for all guests and all occasions. I'm disappointed to hear that you experienced a room move during your visit and will follow-up with our Front Office team. We have several dining options available on property, and will add a new restaurant, Lure Fish Bar, later this year. Thanks again for providing insight into your stay. It is much appreciated.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We've been customers of the Loew's Hotel in South Beach since 2002. We have been there every year since then, and well over 10 times coming up on 15, last visit Christmas 2012. We got a decent deal because we booked on Cyber Monday, otherwise it would have been too overpriced as usual.

Over the years, the prices have kept increasing steadily, but not the amenities so much to keep up with the bigger hotel bill. So I think the value really is simply not there now. While we got 2 Queen sized beds in Vegas at every hotel we've been in, here you get two FULL size, not big enough for two grown adults and a teenager. One person is comfortable, the other two are squeezed together, never get a good nights sleep. OR you can get a king and a roll away, only problem is my husband ends up uncomfortable in the rollaway bed the entire time, which is unfair to him! The Loew's renovated what needed no renovating, and DID NOT renovate what they could really use to renovate. They should give 2 Queen sized beds for this price per night.

I think we're actually footing the bill for their dreadful bathroom renovations, and the lobby renovations. The bathroom is really the worst thing about staying there now. They USED to have decent normal bathrooms, with a little separator by the toilet and a normal tub and shower curtain for privacy so that there COULD be more than one person in the bathroom doing their "thing", without being on display. Nothing fancy, and the toilets have always been hideous, and still are. Well they kept the toilets, but the rest they ruined altogether.

Now the Loew's seems to have made this renovation, thinking of only young single couples with perfect bodies who want to gaze at each other showering and more, or with uninhibited nudists and exhibitionists in mind. Do families really want their kids sliding open a heavy glass door that's dangerously able to chop their fingers off, then seeing mom and dad naked in the shower or sitting on the toilet? If you have a playful child, that's what you'll be in for if you stay here! My child is older, but that doesn't make these bathrooms any more user friendly. How anyone can say this is kid friendly based on the room, I don't know. They better keep their kids fingers in mind, and not mind kids watching them on the toilet or naked showering I guess?

First, they removed the nice standard normal, SILENT completely closing, and LOCKING bathroom door. This door as I said, is super heavy, and makes a roaring loud sound every time it is rolled open and closed. If you go to the bathroom at night, you have to wake up the other people in your room thanks to this loud roaring rolling heavy glass bathroom door. Plus the light comes through it too, so it lights up the whole room as well! It DOES NOT EVEN HAVE A LOCK! It is all too easy to keep opening a door on someone, privacy? Who wants privacy? Some of us DO! Also any sound made, is loud and clear, so no privacy there either, this can be embarrassing to some of us who prefer our bathroom visits not be heard by everyone in the room, which is MOST people.

Then if the door wasn't enough to keep you out of this place, they ALSO replaced the practical old bathtub and privacy of a standard shower curtain, with nothing but a flat, shallow shower stall, no more tubs at all. Curtain is gone, and nothing but clear glass, not even frosted or textured! It's like a floor to ceiling window into the shower! At LEAST also have a curtain you can draw there, but NO. You will be completely on display for ALL who decide to come right in the un-lockable sliding door, while naked and showering. Very disconcerting. I cannot believe it, a clear all glass floor to ceiling enclosure?? AWFUL and caters to PRETENTIOUS types only when they have all sorts of families, and older people staying who don't want to be on display.

The clear shower enclosure doors are not only ridiculous from a personal standpoint of privacy, but from a practical standpoint too, because they do not contain the water, as the lip of the stall is shallow, and the floors always flood even if you're careful! You have to waste clean towels soaking up puddles after your shower. Meanwhile I find that I need those towels to hang over just half of the dreadful glass enclosure that has the top open and a handle on the outside of the door, to try to have some sort of privacy since the stall is completely clear, and the stupid door doesn't lock. GENIUS design! I have to stand in the section of the shower by the door and away from standing under the shower head too, because the door where I can hang towels, is on the other side of the stall. The water pressure is poor enough already when standing UNDER the shower head. Not good.

This is the dumbest renovation and the most dreadful irritating thing about staying at this hotel. Who didn't realize that having a stupid heavy glass sliding door for a bathroom door is a lawsuit waiting for them. I am shocked no one has sued because their kids were playing with the door and got their fingers slammed in it. I got MY fingers slammed in it as it slid shut on them and bounced open! It really hurt!

The most ridiculous thing of all, they DID NOT replace the GROSS TOILETS?? THAT part they left from before. The only part I thought they SHOULD update, they didn't. The toilets are really gross, ugly and creepy looking, with a weird creepy shaped wide narrow bowl that looks frightening, and these thick sides that come down straight from the rims like an extra layer in the toilet. They're disgusting looking, and it gives me the creeps sitting on them. One time the toilet started to overflow the tank and toilet, and it was a very good thing I knew what to do to stop the toilet, or the room would have been entirely flooded out. If you get sick there, expect the toilet to smell like vomit the entire time, because the maid doesn't seem to know how to get the bathroom smelling fresh again if this happens.

On to some positives, because I would not be there over close to 15 times if there were no positives, the food is excellent. You cannot get a better platter of smoked salmon/lox anywhere, just amazing. Nice selections of food too, caprese is also great, nice wraps too. You can eat by the pool which is a plus. Most of the servers are very nice, and we are known there because we've been there so many times, so the staff is very friendly and welcoming.

The pool is great, but I am fortunate that my husband is willing to get up early and get seats, which becomes impossible even if you get there still early in the morning. There are not that many seats compared to other hotels in other places, and it's a pretty big hotel.

My other PET peeve is simply that, I do not like being subjected to people's pets while on vacation. What ever happened to not pets allowed? "Loew's Loves Pets" and all their special pet friendly stance they advertise, makes me ill. Are we really needing to be that tolerant of people's pets these days? We should forget that people who DON'T love dogs, and are allergic like me, have to deal with dogs sitting on lounge chairs? Being walked through the grounds? Last year there was a big pile left by a dog that I almost stepped in on my way into the pool! How disgusting is that? I should have to think about what residue I might step in after it's been picked up? I should sit on a lounge, or stay in a room that could have pet hair, even FLEAS?? I am sure the Loews does not screen the health of these pets that are allowed to sleep in beds, sit on chairs in the common areas too, even in the lobby? I saw a dog sitting on the cushion of the wicker chair by the Sushi restaurant in the lobby. I find it another reason I don't enjoy staying there. We heard a lot of barking as well. Should we deal with barking dogs on vacation while paying several hundred per night? I don't think so! I always specify to sanitize the room for pets, smoking, ect, but really do I KNOW they did this? How much dog hair is on the carpet I am not seeing. I think they need to have only special pet rooms, but they have said that pets are allowed in ALL room, contaminating the entire place. I think the Loew's is slowly going to the DOGS.

We recently stayed at the Mirage in Las Vegas for Spring break for the first time in many years, being that we went here in December already this time. Over there, the pool was several times the size, there were no pets allowed, two QUEEN sized beds that were superbly comfortable, in their bigger, and nicer rooms with nicer amenities. They had lot's of privacy in the bathroom with a real locking door, and a real tub with an actual curtain!! REAL comfort, REAL value for a third of the price. I think we'll be returning to South Beach less often!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear hotgizmobaby,

Thanks for the detailed feedback regarding the bathroom experience, and for your years of loyalty to our property. We are always in the process of improving the hotel, so your comments are appreciated. We're completing several important projects for our recently renovated guest rooms this year, including new mattresses and toilets for each guest room. We continuously work to better this magnificent hotel!
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

chose Loews miami for a 5 day trip in early april with my wife, thinking we could experience the 5 star service, calm and personal atmosphere, amazing pool, beach, junior suite room etc... we were wrong.

Even though the pictures on the site show a heaven, the hotel is actually made for conventions and large families.

The hotel was fully packed with families, kids, conference attendees. It felt like being in a bazar. At 11 am the pool was full, not a single empty spot. The pool has at least 100 kids swimming, yelling, jumping, so impossible to enjoy. So we head to the loews beach, and surprisingly we had to pay 20 USD per person to get a beach chair on top of the 600 USD we were paying per night!!

The room was not impressive at all. Booked a junior suite for 600+ USD, it looked like a regular marriott room over looking the city, so a big disappointment.

Overall, i would not recommend the hotel to anyone unless if you have 5 kids and you wanted them in a large pool all day, or you have 100 employees and wanted to have a conference in a beach hotel... otherwise, go find a 5 star hotel on SOBE cheaper and much better service and facility.

Finally very over priced for what you get. I travel the world ( Asia, Europe, Middle East) and for 600 a night ive experience the best service and facilities in the world. Loews Miami should be priced at 200 USD a night for the value you get

Room Tip: go find another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear swissexpectations,

I'm sorry to hear that your visit in early April was not as calm and relaxing as you had hoped. While this tends to be a busy leisure period at all resorts, we strive to ensure that our service levels don't suffer during peak holiday weeks. We recently purchased new pool furniture for our pool and restaurant to better accomodate our guests, and the addition of our SOAK cabanas has created another sophisticated poolside venue for our guest. We look forward to your next visit to the property.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Had a great 4 night stay here with two children - 8 and 6. We have travelled without kids to south beach before and stayed in more adult friendly places and the Loews did a good job of combining a child friendly property while being close to the restaurants and shopping of ocean drive and Lincoln road. Our boys really enjoyed the pool area which had plenty of balls, rafts and noodles to keep them happy. The restaurant (Prestons) served great seafood for us while also doing a good kids menu and the service was great both evenings we dined there. There is a kids club at the hotel which is housed in quite a small room but compensated for by the fact the staff were really good and organised several activities which meant it was tough to get our kids to leave. We used it now and then so we could go shopping on Lincoln road or enjoy a quiet lunch. only negatives are that the pool area is a little crowded and you have to pay for things which usually come as standard in similar resorts such as beach loungers and the kids club but set against that the price of food and drinks is quite reasonable. Overall we were v happy with the experience and hope to go back sometime - good combination of a kid friendly resort while being close to the amenities of south beach.

Dear Acjd_london,

Thank you for providing the details on your recent visit and highlighting the staff at the Kid's Camp. We're delighted that you found our property to be child friendly and look forward to many happy returns.

Been to Loews Miami Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!