“Great Place, but Pretentious Bathroom Renovations and Pet friendly attitudes that I dread while there!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Miami Beach Hotel

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We've been customers of the Loew's Hotel in South Beach since 2002. We have been there every year since then, and well over 10 times coming up on 15, last visit Christmas 2012. We got a decent deal because we booked on Cyber Monday, otherwise it would have been too overpriced as usual.

Over the years, the prices have kept increasing steadily, but not the amenities so much to keep up with the bigger hotel bill. So I think the value really is simply not there now. While we got 2 Queen sized beds in Vegas at every hotel we've been in, here you get two FULL size, not big enough for two grown adults and a teenager. One person is comfortable, the other two are squeezed together, never get a good nights sleep. OR you can get a king and a roll away, only problem is my husband ends up uncomfortable in the rollaway bed the entire time, which is unfair to him! The Loew's renovated what needed no renovating, and DID NOT renovate what they could really use to renovate. They should give 2 Queen sized beds for this price per night.

I think we're actually footing the bill for their dreadful bathroom renovations, and the lobby renovations. The bathroom is really the worst thing about staying there now. They USED to have decent normal bathrooms, with a little separator by the toilet and a normal tub and shower curtain for privacy so that there COULD be more than one person in the bathroom doing their "thing", without being on display. Nothing fancy, and the toilets have always been hideous, and still are. Well they kept the toilets, but the rest they ruined altogether.

Now the Loew's seems to have made this renovation, thinking of only young single couples with perfect bodies who want to gaze at each other showering and more, or with uninhibited nudists and exhibitionists in mind. Do families really want their kids sliding open a heavy glass door that's dangerously able to chop their fingers off, then seeing mom and dad naked in the shower or sitting on the toilet? If you have a playful child, that's what you'll be in for if you stay here! My child is older, but that doesn't make these bathrooms any more user friendly. How anyone can say this is kid friendly based on the room, I don't know. They better keep their kids fingers in mind, and not mind kids watching them on the toilet or naked showering I guess?

First, they removed the nice standard normal, SILENT completely closing, and LOCKING bathroom door. This door as I said, is super heavy, and makes a roaring loud sound every time it is rolled open and closed. If you go to the bathroom at night, you have to wake up the other people in your room thanks to this loud roaring rolling heavy glass bathroom door. Plus the light comes through it too, so it lights up the whole room as well! It DOES NOT EVEN HAVE A LOCK! It is all too easy to keep opening a door on someone, privacy? Who wants privacy? Some of us DO! Also any sound made, is loud and clear, so no privacy there either, this can be embarrassing to some of us who prefer our bathroom visits not be heard by everyone in the room, which is MOST people.

Then if the door wasn't enough to keep you out of this place, they ALSO replaced the practical old bathtub and privacy of a standard shower curtain, with nothing but a flat, shallow shower stall, no more tubs at all. Curtain is gone, and nothing but clear glass, not even frosted or textured! It's like a floor to ceiling window into the shower! At LEAST also have a curtain you can draw there, but NO. You will be completely on display for ALL who decide to come right in the un-lockable sliding door, while naked and showering. Very disconcerting. I cannot believe it, a clear all glass floor to ceiling enclosure?? AWFUL and caters to PRETENTIOUS types only when they have all sorts of families, and older people staying who don't want to be on display.

The clear shower enclosure doors are not only ridiculous from a personal standpoint of privacy, but from a practical standpoint too, because they do not contain the water, as the lip of the stall is shallow, and the floors always flood even if you're careful! You have to waste clean towels soaking up puddles after your shower. Meanwhile I find that I need those towels to hang over just half of the dreadful glass enclosure that has the top open and a handle on the outside of the door, to try to have some sort of privacy since the stall is completely clear, and the stupid door doesn't lock. GENIUS design! I have to stand in the section of the shower by the door and away from standing under the shower head too, because the door where I can hang towels, is on the other side of the stall. The water pressure is poor enough already when standing UNDER the shower head. Not good.

This is the dumbest renovation and the most dreadful irritating thing about staying at this hotel. Who didn't realize that having a stupid heavy glass sliding door for a bathroom door is a lawsuit waiting for them. I am shocked no one has sued because their kids were playing with the door and got their fingers slammed in it. I got MY fingers slammed in it as it slid shut on them and bounced open! It really hurt!

The most ridiculous thing of all, they DID NOT replace the GROSS TOILETS?? THAT part they left from before. The only part I thought they SHOULD update, they didn't. The toilets are really gross, ugly and creepy looking, with a weird creepy shaped wide narrow bowl that looks frightening, and these thick sides that come down straight from the rims like an extra layer in the toilet. They're disgusting looking, and it gives me the creeps sitting on them. One time the toilet started to overflow the tank and toilet, and it was a very good thing I knew what to do to stop the toilet, or the room would have been entirely flooded out. If you get sick there, expect the toilet to smell like vomit the entire time, because the maid doesn't seem to know how to get the bathroom smelling fresh again if this happens.

On to some positives, because I would not be there over close to 15 times if there were no positives, the food is excellent. You cannot get a better platter of smoked salmon/lox anywhere, just amazing. Nice selections of food too, caprese is also great, nice wraps too. You can eat by the pool which is a plus. Most of the servers are very nice, and we are known there because we've been there so many times, so the staff is very friendly and welcoming.

The pool is great, but I am fortunate that my husband is willing to get up early and get seats, which becomes impossible even if you get there still early in the morning. There are not that many seats compared to other hotels in other places, and it's a pretty big hotel.

My other PET peeve is simply that, I do not like being subjected to people's pets while on vacation. What ever happened to not pets allowed? "Loew's Loves Pets" and all their special pet friendly stance they advertise, makes me ill. Are we really needing to be that tolerant of people's pets these days? We should forget that people who DON'T love dogs, and are allergic like me, have to deal with dogs sitting on lounge chairs? Being walked through the grounds? Last year there was a big pile left by a dog that I almost stepped in on my way into the pool! How disgusting is that? I should have to think about what residue I might step in after it's been picked up? I should sit on a lounge, or stay in a room that could have pet hair, even FLEAS?? I am sure the Loews does not screen the health of these pets that are allowed to sleep in beds, sit on chairs in the common areas too, even in the lobby? I saw a dog sitting on the cushion of the wicker chair by the Sushi restaurant in the lobby. I find it another reason I don't enjoy staying there. We heard a lot of barking as well. Should we deal with barking dogs on vacation while paying several hundred per night? I don't think so! I always specify to sanitize the room for pets, smoking, ect, but really do I KNOW they did this? How much dog hair is on the carpet I am not seeing. I think they need to have only special pet rooms, but they have said that pets are allowed in ALL room, contaminating the entire place. I think the Loew's is slowly going to the DOGS.

We recently stayed at the Mirage in Las Vegas for Spring break for the first time in many years, being that we went here in December already this time. Over there, the pool was several times the size, there were no pets allowed, two QUEEN sized beds that were superbly comfortable, in their bigger, and nicer rooms with nicer amenities. They had lot's of privacy in the bathroom with a real locking door, and a real tub with an actual curtain!! REAL comfort, REAL value for a third of the price. I think we'll be returning to South Beach less often!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alex T, General Manager at Loews Miami Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear hotgizmobaby,

Thanks for the detailed feedback regarding the bathroom experience, and for your years of loyalty to our property. We are always in the process of improving the hotel, so your comments are appreciated. We're completing several important projects for our recently renovated guest rooms this year, including new mattresses and toilets for each guest room. We continuously work to better this magnificent hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

chose Loews miami for a 5 day trip in early april with my wife, thinking we could experience the 5 star service, calm and personal atmosphere, amazing pool, beach, junior suite room etc... we were wrong.

Even though the pictures on the site show a heaven, the hotel is actually made for conventions and large families.

The hotel was fully packed with families, kids, conference attendees. It felt like being in a bazar. At 11 am the pool was full, not a single empty spot. The pool has at least 100 kids swimming, yelling, jumping, so impossible to enjoy. So we head to the loews beach, and surprisingly we had to pay 20 USD per person to get a beach chair on top of the 600 USD we were paying per night!!

The room was not impressive at all. Booked a junior suite for 600+ USD, it looked like a regular marriott room over looking the city, so a big disappointment.

Overall, i would not recommend the hotel to anyone unless if you have 5 kids and you wanted them in a large pool all day, or you have 100 employees and wanted to have a conference in a beach hotel... otherwise, go find a 5 star hotel on SOBE cheaper and much better service and facility.

Finally very over priced for what you get. I travel the world ( Asia, Europe, Middle East) and for 600 a night ive experience the best service and facilities in the world. Loews Miami should be priced at 200 USD a night for the value you get

Room Tip: go find another hotel!
Dear swissexpectations,

I'm sorry to hear that your visit in early April was not as calm and relaxing as you had hoped. While this tends to be a busy leisure period at all resorts, we strive to ensure that our service levels don't suffer during peak holiday weeks. We recently purchased new pool furniture for our pool and restaurant to better accomodate our guests, and the addition of our SOAK cabanas has created another sophisticated poolside venue for our guest. We look forward to your next visit to the property.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Had a great 4 night stay here with two children - 8 and 6. We have travelled without kids to south beach before and stayed in more adult friendly places and the Loews did a good job of combining a child friendly property while being close to the restaurants and shopping of ocean drive and Lincoln road. Our boys really enjoyed the pool area which had plenty of balls, rafts and noodles to keep them happy. The restaurant (Prestons) served great seafood for us while also doing a good kids menu and the service was great both evenings we dined there. There is a kids club at the hotel which is housed in quite a small room but compensated for by the fact the staff were really good and organised several activities which meant it was tough to get our kids to leave. We used it now and then so we could go shopping on Lincoln road or enjoy a quiet lunch. only negatives are that the pool area is a little crowded and you have to pay for things which usually come as standard in similar resorts such as beach loungers and the kids club but set against that the price of food and drinks is quite reasonable. Overall we were v happy with the experience and hope to go back sometime - good combination of a kid friendly resort while being close to the amenities of south beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Acjd_london,

Thank you for providing the details on your recent visit and highlighting the staff at the Kid's Camp. We're delighted that you found our property to be child friendly and look forward to many happy returns.
boston, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Overall a great place for a family to stay, particularly if you understand that hotels in miami beach are expensive and rooms not too large. Its sort of a nice, corporate feel here, but everything is of pretty high quality and well done. Its a safe bet, particularly if you have kids.

We went with our small kids and paid what i would call a lot for a modest room. Most rooms are not direct ocean view rooms, but look sideways at the ocean and the city. Pool is great, kids club program was great. Staff was very very friendly - this may have been what kept the place in a more premium category as opposed to more of a standard experience -- which would be easy given the size of the hotel. Location is tremendous if you like the main strip but want some reasonable levels of quiet too.

Only thing we hated about this place was being nickel and dimed. We spent a lot of money on the room alone, so why charge for internet, premium prices on bagels (with 20% gratuity added on to a person serving you coffee, etc). My wife and I added up the cost of these extras and it was so small compared to the total bill, but it was annoying, and contrasted the friendly staff attitude. I'm sure those extras add up for hotel management, but they kill the premium experience. Also, the internet in the room did not work, so that was double annoying because I had to sit on line, waiting for a serice I paid for, which never worked.

Note to management: I just got free internet in a $100 doubletree guest suite in Memphis. Why would a $600-per-night hotel in Miami charge me?

Room Tip: Ask for a high-up room closer to the pool side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear cwa2006,

Your posting on Trip Advisor is much appreciated. We share all of the feedback with our Team Members. While Miami Beach pricing is consistent with the location, we endeavor to ensure our pricing is competitive with other properties in our location. We pride ourselves on the service experience, and know that memorable stays will ensure repeat guests. Look forward to your next trip to Miami Beach!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the beautiful Lowes Miami Beach Hotel. This luxury hotel is in a fabulous location right in the heart of SoBe! The hotel is walking distance from dining/ shops on Lincoln Road and Washington Avenue. It is a short/ inexpensive cab ride away from Ocean Drive as well. (Since the hotel is in such a great location- there is no need to rent a car while you are staying there!) The hotel rooms have a modern décor and if you want to save a little on the room rate you can request a ‘partial ocean view’ which is still quite impressive. (If you want the complete ‘ocean view’ just go and lounge on their beachfront property!!) The pool itself is smaller, but when I’m on a beach- I don’t spend too much time near the pool anyways. They did have activities for families and children in the pool during the day which I think would be nice if you are traveling with children. The beachfront property is where I spent most of my 'relaxing' time and since it is a large area you don't feel as on top of each other as on the pool deck. (There is a $12.50 per day rental fee if you want to use the hotels beach chairs..) One bit of advice for someone who has not traveled to Miami before- gratuity is included in everything- make sure you are checking your reciepts or you will be double tipping! At the hotel food and drinks are expensive (as to be expected in this area) so another tip is that you can go to Ocean Drive or Lincoln Road and find a restaurant that is offering 2 for 1 Drinks, Happy Hour, or some % off of meals. We went to Dinner at a fabulous restaurant on Ocean Drive named “A Fish Called Avalon”- and ate the fresh catch of the day- which was delicious! For those who have never been to SoBe stopping at Mango’s Tropical Café (which is a walking distance from Avalon) is a must! It's very touristy but you have to see the salsa dancers on top of the bar and they put on a great show and it is entertaining! If you are looking for something very upscale and clubby my girlfriend and I went to LIV in the Fountainebleu. Be prepared to dress to impress- we had no problem getting in being 2 girls- but guys a word or warning.. be ready to dish out some cash- or bring some ladies with you to help your chances of getting in!! :) Overall I enjoyed the hotel, the location, and the staff was very friendly and attentive. For anyone who hasn't been to South Beach/ Miami Area before definitely be prepared to spend some cash- but I've never had a bad time in Miami so I think it is worth it. It is a great place to go for a long weekend getaway, girlfriends weekend, or couples b/c there is something for everyone in Miami!! My favorite thing about Miami is that you can be totally relaxed during the day- and party all night long- SoBe is the place to go!

Room Tip: You may be able to get a lower rate if you opt for the 'partial ocean view' and it is still...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Heather M,

Thanks for extending your feedback! Our Team Members are passionate about delivering a great hotel experience and I'm glad we accomplished this. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Strasbourg, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Loews and enjoyed the experience. We had a Grand Ocean View room which was exactly how it looked on the internet site: nice setting and atmosphere with a superb view on the beach and the ocean. the reception and restaurant areas are also nice and clean, but you can spot that they have not been refurbished yet. the continental breakfast is a good option with a good choice of products but relatively expansive. Valet service for the car was fast and efficient. And the location is perfect is you want to explore Miami Beach Art Deco district. We would cleary go back there!

Dear Polo67FR,

Our location is outstanding for Art Deco architecture. So glad to hear you had a superb experience!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

my husband and i went down to miami for a long weekend. i was a little skeptical of staying here because it seems like a very kid-friendly hotel, and we usually tend to stay at more adult friendly hotels. but it was in a great location and looked really nice. the only time you really notice how kid friendly this hotel is is when you are in the pool. they had noodles, rafts, tubes, water guns, etc. they even have water activities for kids. this was the one and only drawback(for us) to this hotel. other than that, the lowes was totally amazing.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor.
Dear jandm24,

We're delighted to hear about your families experience in April. We pride ourselves on offering great memories to kid's and adults. Many happy returns!

Been to Loews Miami Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!