“One night with bedbugs” 2 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   236 9th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Monthey, Valais
“One night with bedbugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

It was beautiful pictures of the appartment on the internet. When I arrived there, it was totally something else.
I was sad to find bedbugs when I went to bed.
I asked the staff to help me and they weren't very helpfull. They didn't refund me the advance money for the week...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

353 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I am a flight attendant based in Miami, but I commute to work from another city. Let me just say I travel all around the world 20 days a month with my job and for leisure and have stayed in 1000's of hotels and hostels with my 17 year career with the airline. That being said, one night last week I missed my commuter flight home and had to stay in Miami. I normally can find a room for about $45 a night on any number of the discounted hotel websites offered. This time though I just didn't feel like shelling out the money. I've always seen this hostel advertised online and the pictures looked really nice and I've had good luck staying in hostels overseas, so I decided to give it a try. First of all the price was deceiving. The bed was $21 a night. Then I had to pay $5 deposit for a stained towel with holes and a stained sheet. Then I had to pay $1 for a locker that didn't even work. Then I had to pay a 5% surcharge for using my credit card. All in all the bill ended up being $32. The lobby is nothing like the pictures. It is very rundown. I got to the room to discover it had NO WORKING AIR CONDITIONERS! Also the bed was so gross I think a bed in a prison would have been cleaner! There were so many mysterious yellow and brown stains on both the mattress and the pillow I didn't even want to touch them! I realize you are sharing the room with seven other people, but I ended up with seven people who snoring like freight trains. Also the music from the lobby and the street was so loud my best friend thought I was at a nightclub when I called him from the room. The room and bathroom look nothing like the pictures and are completely dirty, gross, and grimy! There is no security in this place at all. The lockers don't work and the lock on the room door didn't work as well. The only good thing that came out of all of this was the people I shared the room with were all models there in Miami for a photo shoot. Hey, you have to find something positive right? I ended up leaving at 4am going back to the airport and sleeping in our Flight Attendants lounge because this place was so gross and loud!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

When I wanted to stay there they had no more private rooms, so I chose an apartment. To be honest, I knew what I was in for, as I read some of the comments here before, so the one mile distance from the hostel was not really new to me. That being said I was still a bit shocked, when I first came into the apartment - it looked like one of those places they kill drug addicts or prostitutes in on TV - really basic and really run down. It wasn't exactely dirty, but with mould on the walls and rusty water fixtures in the bathroom.

However, it was OK to sleep in the bed and I wasn't looking for much more. The plus side is, that there's a pool at the apartment building you can use (i didn't, so I can't say what it's like) and you have a really nice view of the bay at night - if you're lucky you might even be able to sneak on the roof of the 14 story building. And you get free parking if you have an apartment, that's a plus too in Miami.

The hostel itself and the staff there was great, there's someone at the front desk 24/7, they sell beer and all the people are really cool. Also they organize daily events for the evening - sometimes just a bar, sometimes a posh club. So really cool.

I'd definitely would go there again - it's South Beach in the end.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I've been traveling a lot.. these years... almost everywhere... i was in so many hostels around the world... but this hostel is for sure the best hostel I ever been! Not only for the free breakfast, lunch and dinner... not only for the great friendliness of the staff... but for the movida... every night a different club, a different party, for just few dollars (5 or 10 maximum) including transportation, entrance and drinks... And so many people there in the hostel! Absolutely great!

Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

The atmosphere was fantastic! Since the hostel provided meals and we were also provided a free keg several nights, all of the travelers were able to bond and share their experiences of Miami and other travel destinations. Everything needed was within a three block radius including shopping, food, beaches, and jet skiing.

I have been to hostels all over Europe and a few in the US and I noticed a few things that stood out about this place. The staff was incredibly friendly. One of the staff members insisted on buying me drinks as we discussed some of our travels together out at a bar. These staff members organized outings together which provided us great deals on cover at the local bars as well as drink deals. This meant, at times, helping us get into places with 10-15 dollar cover free of charge! The meals were good considering they were free of charge and it saved me tons of money that I spent on a few really nice meals while I was there. I got sick one night at the hostel and one of the people working there helped my buddy take care of me, which really surprised me.

The rooms were pretty basic for a hostel but it is a hostel. Downstairs was a nice area to hang out where they put together mini parties which also had a pool table. They showed movies in the main room with a projector for those too tired to go out and the outside porch area was great for meeting people. I met a few people from Germany and a few from Detroit that I still keep in touch with.

If you like hostels and cheap safe travel, this place is fantastic. It provides the most bang for your buck out of all the hostels I have been to yet it is safe, close to everything you need and the staff members treated me better than any place I have stayed in my travels. I find the negative reviews hard to take as credible.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010 via mobile

We had booked a room with 6 single beds but were lucky enough to get a private twin because they had to move people about. This was great and at no extra cost. The staff were helpful and gave us info on the clubs, areas and transport all for cheap. The hostel is a proper party place with music always being played. It's right by the beach and the free food is pretty good too.

• Stayed September 2010
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

it was awesome! the staff is helpful and cheerful. it's 5 min from the beach. the organized party were so fun and cheap with all those deals. There is free food on every meal! I had a real great time! Everyone speaks with everyone and there is always something going on! I highly recommend this hostel!! :)

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel? Share your experiences!