“Fannnnnnntastic” 5 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   236 9th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Sydney, Australia
“Fannnnnnntastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This place was incredible free breakfast lunch and dinner everyday , organised outings at cheap prices every night with beer and on Sundays cocktails

The location is amazing as well only two blocks from the beach and right in the middle of all the shops

I would recommend this place to anyone going to Miami loved it

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago for for 4 nights, perfect place if you want to party and meet new people! I stayed here with a few friends and we all loved it, the staff are so friendly and helpful, rooms are cleaned 4 times a day, entertainment arranged by the hostel every night for a small price (it was always good value for money). Location is perfect! If you don't want to participate in the entertainment arranged (bars, clubs etc), the hostel has ping pong, pool table etc which is cool to hang out and drink and listen to music etc. Spotted a few cockroaches in the rooms, but it was being fumigated immediately, I hate bugs but this did not deter me one bit. If I come back to Miami, I would stay here 100%. Loved it! Also free breakfast, lunch and dinner available everyday, and short walk to beach!

Paris, Ile-de-France, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked a room for 6 persons in this hostel and stayed a week.
It was a complete nightmare, the room and the bathroom were dirty,the loud air conditioner was barely working and fitted in the window, the food was disgusting and most of the time they were running of it after serving 30 people although we'd paid for it. They were also cockroaches in the kitchen.

Most of the activities organized by the hostel consisted in going out in night clubs. If you weren't 21 y-o you were supposed to pay the guys at the hostel so they can let you in, although you can freely party in Miami even if you're under 21.

Basically, this hostel was the most awful place I've even been to, I'd rather pay more and stay in a fancy hotel than go back there.

The only good point about this place is its location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great place to relax and party after camp. Make sure you get a room with a decent air conditioner. I stayed in two different rooms over my stay and when you have seven other people air conditioning is a must! The included food isn't great but there are some great places to eat out and if you've spent all your money the night before the free good is great.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a good air conditioner
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've probably been to over 75 hostels spread between Europe, Central / South America and USA hostels. This is the best hostel I've ever been to in the US, and rivals many of my best stays in Europe and South American hostels for a fun social hostel atmosphere. Sadly US hostels are often hit or miss, some are okay, but just don't have enough people in them.

We stayed at this hostel back in Feb 2013 on recommendation from a friend and let me tell you. Just perfect in every regard. The 3 free meals per day are real and are actually quite good (I consider myself a foody).I was never awake in time for breakfast but lunch was pretty good (pasta salad with bug hunks of chicken) and one night they brought back chicken and rice from one of the hostel workers "favorite Cuban place". As soon as I heard chicken and rice I was about to go eat dinner elsewhere, but I tried it and WOW. Plenty to go around, they keep up their end of the bargain.

The rooms themselves used to be hotel rooms, so you have private bathroom and still a decent size for 6 people. They have a pretty cool small patio out front with some fans, everyone stands around and chats, very social. THE CLEANING LADIES CLEAN YOUR ROOM 4-6 TIMES A DAY. NO lie, they are always in and out of there keeping the place so clean you could eat off the floor.

The area is safe, close to the beach and the hostel staff are very friendly. They got us into Nikki Beach Club with a ride on the party bus, a keg (one night it was a giant mixed cocktail) all for $15. I actually mentioned to one of my friends when he went to Miami beach to stop by the hostel and join their nightclub outing and he said they took really good care of him even though he wasn't staying there. You can barely get into good clubs in Toronto for $15, let alone with a ride and beer... and this is Miami!

One of the hostel employees was even nice enough to bring back some good cuban espresso and offer all of us on the patio a small cup. Really can't say enough good things about the place. The A/C was also working and very strong.

There is a place to stop your car out front of the hostel for 15 minutes. If your flying into Fort Lauderdale, might want to check the prices of renting a car 1 way from the airport and dropping it off in South Beach, we managed to do this for $40 tax in with Budget (they have a location a km away, or you can use sixt). That's half the price of a cab! Though my insurance covers rental cars so be sure to make sure you have enough insurance, as this is the land of the lawsuit. Also read up on paying your tolls without using the rental car companies "SunPass" electronic toll box. The tolls are only about $3 but the rental companies ding you $6 to use their toll box transponder. There is no way to pay cash for these tolls.

We liked this place so much, when we return to Miami in October, there is no question we are staying here.

As for the other comments about it being a party hostel, it is. However everyone leaves around 9-10 to party and the clubs close around 4/5 am, so if you need some sleep you should be able to get it. WEAR EAR PLUGS and don't be a party pooper please :p

Stay here, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side face the street, so you can hear cars driving by with the window open. Not a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

As an young girl ... I had a great time in this hostel . Every night there were parties ... The staff is very friendly , I have met a lot of people all over the world in the open space.The beach is very close just 2 blocs !
I definitely advice this hostel to people who want have fun and meet people .

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a real party hostel which - don't get me wrong - isn't a bad thing but it's pretty much all they've got going for them.
There's something on every night – every night. That’s the good thing about this hostel, especially if you’re travelling alone: they’ve got a party or a clubbing night on every single night so it’s easy to meet people and have a good time and, yeah, there is a pretty good party atmosphere in the whole place.
But the rooms are pretty terrible. The beds are tiny so guys, if you’re tall, be prepared for an uncomfortable sleep. You only get a couple sheets which I guess you only need in Miami weather but all the rooms have very loud air conditioning units in them which you have zero control over. So you can’t change the temperature or even turn it off and if you’re a light sleeper, it’ll keep you up all night.
Another thing, for some bizarre reason the Wi-Fi only works in the lobby. I don’t know if this was just them cheeping out or they wanted to encourage people to hang around each other but it’s damn annoying. You get no privacy when you’re calling home.
But the bathrooms are the worst. The WORST! There’s no ventilation in them; the bath tub clogs constantly so while you’re showering you’ll be standing in someone else’s hairs and soap suds and – I don’t know if this was in every room – the toilet in my room was not properly attracted to the floor.
I think a lot of this could be forgiven given the hotel’s proximity to the beach, the party atmosphere, the free meals, the cheap price, but the customer service at the front desk is pathetic.
I don’t know if it’s an unwillingness or an inability but pretty much no one who works there smiles. There’ s a couple of really nice guys who are the ones who help set the party atmosphere but there was one woman who was there pretty much every day with a sour look on her face round the clock. She was snappy and rude to us and I spoke to others who all agreed she had pretty terrible customer service. Another one of the guys that works there – short, tanned skin – there was no pillow on my bed when I checked in so I went to the front to get one and he gave me attitude when I asked for a pillow. I’m sorry; I didn’t realize that asking you to do your job was such an inconvenience.
But again, this place does have a lot of positives so weigh it all up and decide from there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel? Share your experiences!