“An awful place!” 1 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   236 9th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“An awful place!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked a room for 6 persons in this hostel and stayed a week.
It was a complete nightmare, the room and the bathroom were dirty,the loud air conditioner was barely working and fitted in the window, the food was disgusting and most of the time they were running of it after serving 30 people although we'd paid for it. They were also cockroaches in the kitchen.

Most of the activities organized by the hostel consisted in going out in night clubs. If you weren't 21 y-o you were supposed to pay the guys at the hostel so they can let you in, although you can freely party in Miami even if you're under 21.

Basically, this hostel was the most awful place I've even been to, I'd rather pay more and stay in a fancy hotel than go back there.

The only good point about this place is its location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great place to relax and party after camp. Make sure you get a room with a decent air conditioner. I stayed in two different rooms over my stay and when you have seven other people air conditioning is a must! The included food isn't great but there are some great places to eat out and if you've spent all your money the night before the free good is great.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a good air conditioner
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've probably been to over 75 hostels spread between Europe, Central / South America and USA hostels. This is the best hostel I've ever been to in the US, and rivals many of my best stays in Europe and South American hostels for a fun social hostel atmosphere. Sadly US hostels are often hit or miss, some are okay, but just don't have enough people in them.

We stayed at this hostel back in Feb 2013 on recommendation from a friend and let me tell you. Just perfect in every regard. The 3 free meals per day are real and are actually quite good (I consider myself a foody).I was never awake in time for breakfast but lunch was pretty good (pasta salad with bug hunks of chicken) and one night they brought back chicken and rice from one of the hostel workers "favorite Cuban place". As soon as I heard chicken and rice I was about to go eat dinner elsewhere, but I tried it and WOW. Plenty to go around, they keep up their end of the bargain.

The rooms themselves used to be hotel rooms, so you have private bathroom and still a decent size for 6 people. They have a pretty cool small patio out front with some fans, everyone stands around and chats, very social. THE CLEANING LADIES CLEAN YOUR ROOM 4-6 TIMES A DAY. NO lie, they are always in and out of there keeping the place so clean you could eat off the floor.

The area is safe, close to the beach and the hostel staff are very friendly. They got us into Nikki Beach Club with a ride on the party bus, a keg (one night it was a giant mixed cocktail) all for $15. I actually mentioned to one of my friends when he went to Miami beach to stop by the hostel and join their nightclub outing and he said they took really good care of him even though he wasn't staying there. You can barely get into good clubs in Toronto for $15, let alone with a ride and beer... and this is Miami!

One of the hostel employees was even nice enough to bring back some good cuban espresso and offer all of us on the patio a small cup. Really can't say enough good things about the place. The A/C was also working and very strong.

There is a place to stop your car out front of the hostel for 15 minutes. If your flying into Fort Lauderdale, might want to check the prices of renting a car 1 way from the airport and dropping it off in South Beach, we managed to do this for $40 tax in with Budget (they have a location a km away, or you can use sixt). That's half the price of a cab! Though my insurance covers rental cars so be sure to make sure you have enough insurance, as this is the land of the lawsuit. Also read up on paying your tolls without using the rental car companies "SunPass" electronic toll box. The tolls are only about $3 but the rental companies ding you $6 to use their toll box transponder. There is no way to pay cash for these tolls.

We liked this place so much, when we return to Miami in October, there is no question we are staying here.

As for the other comments about it being a party hostel, it is. However everyone leaves around 9-10 to party and the clubs close around 4/5 am, so if you need some sleep you should be able to get it. WEAR EAR PLUGS and don't be a party pooper please :p

Stay here, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side face the street, so you can hear cars driving by with the window open. Not a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

As an young girl ... I had a great time in this hostel . Every night there were parties ... The staff is very friendly , I have met a lot of people all over the world in the open space.The beach is very close just 2 blocs !
I definitely advice this hostel to people who want have fun and meet people .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a real party hostel which - don't get me wrong - isn't a bad thing but it's pretty much all they've got going for them.
There's something on every night – every night. That’s the good thing about this hostel, especially if you’re travelling alone: they’ve got a party or a clubbing night on every single night so it’s easy to meet people and have a good time and, yeah, there is a pretty good party atmosphere in the whole place.
But the rooms are pretty terrible. The beds are tiny so guys, if you’re tall, be prepared for an uncomfortable sleep. You only get a couple sheets which I guess you only need in Miami weather but all the rooms have very loud air conditioning units in them which you have zero control over. So you can’t change the temperature or even turn it off and if you’re a light sleeper, it’ll keep you up all night.
Another thing, for some bizarre reason the Wi-Fi only works in the lobby. I don’t know if this was just them cheeping out or they wanted to encourage people to hang around each other but it’s damn annoying. You get no privacy when you’re calling home.
But the bathrooms are the worst. The WORST! There’s no ventilation in them; the bath tub clogs constantly so while you’re showering you’ll be standing in someone else’s hairs and soap suds and – I don’t know if this was in every room – the toilet in my room was not properly attracted to the floor.
I think a lot of this could be forgiven given the hotel’s proximity to the beach, the party atmosphere, the free meals, the cheap price, but the customer service at the front desk is pathetic.
I don’t know if it’s an unwillingness or an inability but pretty much no one who works there smiles. There’ s a couple of really nice guys who are the ones who help set the party atmosphere but there was one woman who was there pretty much every day with a sour look on her face round the clock. She was snappy and rude to us and I spoke to others who all agreed she had pretty terrible customer service. Another one of the guys that works there – short, tanned skin – there was no pillow on my bed when I checked in so I went to the front to get one and he gave me attitude when I asked for a pillow. I’m sorry; I didn’t realize that asking you to do your job was such an inconvenience.
But again, this place does have a lot of positives so weigh it all up and decide from there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

First off, I owe the staff a huge thank you for everything!
At check in, they were SO friendly and enthusiastic. They gave us a map, an outline of meal times, and a run down of the different events they coordinate. They also gave us an important tip: leave your cell and wallet at the desk when you go to the beach. The beaches are beautiful and safe but there are definitely locals looking to steal from tourists who leave things while they swim.
This place is definitely party central so if you're looking for a quiet spa resort, this is not for you. I came to Miami to party and that I did. The staff coordinates tons of fun stuff to do. They do pool parties and boat tours of Miami during the day. They have a great happy hour where drinks are half off from 4-6 before dinner but the best part is the nightlife events.
Every night they have a different bar and club crawl.
For around 10 bucks you get: free drinks at the hostel before you leave, wrist bands to take care of the covers the bars would normally charge, a party bus that takes you to the bars and clubs, and an awesome time. I met so many great people from all over the world. People I will still stay in touch with. With all of the really expensive bars and clubs in Miami, this was a HUGE perk for me. I didn't have to waste my time figuring out what was cool or what I could afford. They do it for you!
The rooms were basic but pretty modern and very clean (I think housekeeping cleans them like 3 times a day actually). For what I paid, they were much nicer than I expected. Linens and towels are included too. If you read some of the other reviews, it is true that if you book a private room you are in separate buildings that are more like apartments. But the people who are saying they are really far away, I promise the other buildings the hostel owns are literally right across the street. I met some friends staying in them.
I stayed in the main building and it is also true that they play music basically all day until like 11PM. It keeps the hostel fun (You're here to party and have a good time in South Beach!) and you can hardly hear it at all in your room. (I was literally the closest room to the lobby and had no problem the couple of times I napped.) They have lockers available for all your belongings and not once did I feel unsafe sharing a room with 4 other people. I came with one other friend.

Aside from the amazing events coordinated, the really cool staff, and the sweet people we met, the location DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER. You could hit the beach with a rock. There are restaurants and bars surrounding you. We walked to several different art museums. The staff is super familiar with the area and will help you get anywhere. but everything is right on your doorstep.

If I'm ever in Miami again this is where I'll be staying. Thank you to all the staff again for showing me such a good time!

Room Tip: The private rooms are in a separate building. It's not a far distance at all but something to ke...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Ok so people who have voted this place down for noise clearly haven't done their research when booking a hostel and so i'd consider it their own hard luck.

This isn't the place to come for a peaceful and relaxing night and the hostel itself would tell you the same! It is a place for the youthful (in mind not necessarily body), the crazy and the happy. It is so easy to meet other travellers here, there are always events going on that make it easy to find fun stuff to do if you're not much good at planning yourself, the staff are incredibly helpful in my experience..even suggesting great ways for making the stay in Miami cheaper.

The rooms are clean and comfortable enough and was perfect for getting my head down after partying the night away at the hostels organised club night.

For the few that have also slated the organised club night. During dinner of that night the staff make an announcement advising you to drink beforehand and at the first bar where beer is $4 they tell you honestly how much a beer is going to cost at a club so you can adjust your drinking accordingly.

Did i mention free food....ok so of course this is no great gourmet feast but the food itself was certainly edible and certainly welcome when budget travelling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel? Share your experiences!