“Want to party and meet a lot of people?” 5 of 5 stars

You added Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel to your Saves list
Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   236 9th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Budapest, Hungary
“Want to party and meet a lot of people?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Thats what you gonna get there, the atmosphere of this hostel is awesome! I was there by myself what is not an issue cuz meeting people there is the easiest thing to happen.
The location is perfect, two blocks from the beach and in a walking distance for all the good clubs in South Beach.
The rooms are ok, clean and a bathroom for each dorm
The three meals are ok as well, nothing special but as it is included theres not to much to expect about it.
well, I def have nothing to complaint about the hostel, I knew what to expect but if you wanna just relax and rest go somewhere else

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This place had a great location being only minutes away from the beach and in the middle of all the South Beach action in terms of bars, clubs etc. Unfortunately everything else about this hostel was a negative.

Despite the room having been sold to us as "airconditioned" it only had this pathetic little evaporative cooler which sat in the corner making lots of noise but doing very little actual cooling. The hostel had tampered with the machine so you couldn't adjust the settings to bring down the temperature. Just on and off. Kind of an issue in Miami in the middle of summer where the temperature never drops below stinking hot.

Food was gross. Yes they provide you with lunch for free but when that lunch consists of plain white pasta (no sauce / topping) served with plain white toast are you really getting value for money? Does that even contain sufficient nutritional value to substantiate a "food" label? "Stodge" or "cardboard" would be closer to the mark, I thought.

Worst thing about the hostel was the service. Woman on front desk the first two days was really rude and there primarily to upsell guests onto tours of Miami and the everglades which from all accounts were tacky tourist trap rip offs. However the next day there was a french/swiss guy on the front desk who was actually really nice and helpful.

Wifi was very weak and only worked in the tiny lobby/reception area and patio. This meant that at any time of day there was a collection of morbidly baked/hungover backpackers mulling about or skyping their boyfriends back in Ireland/Spain/Italy.

This place has a great location but don't expect anything else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I can't say anything bad about this place. The location is great, the organised trips are fantastic, the staff is friendly and positive, the beach is just a 5 minutes walk, as ocean drive. I lovved the people, and the mood there. The rooms are clean and the beds have been ok. I was there a week and I really enjoyed it. DO NOT GO if you are looking for a relaxed and calm time. This is a party place and people go there to party :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Partying is the heart and soul of this place - the staff live it every day! (I dont know how they do it...)
I have stayed here twice - once with my sibling and a second time with a girlfriend. Knowing what this hostel was like, I insisted me and my friend stay here if we wanted a week of partying and carefree fun. The place doesnt dissapoint.
If you are in Miami to party and spend all your dollars on booze and clubbing, this is the place to be. The free food is a relief (if you can get up early enough to make it to breakfast after late nights...) as nightlife in the US is expensive. However, you have to remember is it FREE - so you can't expect fine dining. It's more like food you would get on a school camp. It can be a bit hit and miss but hits the spot if you arent too fussy. Plenty of good food places around if you want something else (you must try some Cuban food).

The staff are fun but are also serious about making sure you have a comfortable stay. My friend asked if there was a second mirror we could use to get ready (the bathrooms are quite tiny) and staff grabbed the staff-room mirror for us to borrow. Was a life-saver for the boys in our room who couldnt get two seconds in the bathroom with us around!
I have made new friends from Australia and around the world (who I still keep in touch with) and recommend this place to any young traveller that mentions they are going to Miami. Going out in a big group really breaks the ice and everyone has a good story the next day!
Location can't be beat for the price and free wifi is very handy. Cleaners can be cranky, but treat them nicely and they will do the same to you. It's not too hard to put your stuff on your bed during the day so they can clean!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I would recommend this hostel for anyone between the age of 19-30. 2 minutes from the beach. 30 seconds from attractions and shopping. Every night the hostel has something on downstairs, the place literally transforms into a nightclub. Free breakfast daily. Wifi is only available in the lobby. Staff aren't too helpful with booking tours however. Rooms are small and luggage has to be put onto your bed during the day as the rooms are cleaned 4x daily. Would highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed August 2012
Belfast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I visited this hostel in late April 2012.
I was so looking forward to staying in Miami Beach...
I saw mixed reviews and didn't know if I should choose this hostel but if you go to Miami and have sun and parties there is not many things that can go wrong right? Wrong.

I thought that rude staff, dirty dorms and awful filthy bathrooms and cold food will not put me off, but they did.

I am not a fussy person and I spent time in hostels before but this hostel was very poor.

Dorm - The dorm was tiny and dark.
Everybody kept their bags in the middle of the room because there was no other space, so there was no space left to move.
The dorm and bathroom was also very dirty. Particularly bathroom was in awful state.
There was no locker to lock my passport/valuables.
Only thing that the staff offered me was...a plastic box in the reception, which was marked with my name written on a post-it note and everybody could open it.
Also in my dorm there was an old woman in her 60 and she was creepy and really weird, talking to herself and walking half topless(!). Terrible! Apparently she is long term tenant so if you don't want to meet her, better do not stay there.

Food - I know that having 3 meals in hostel for this money is great but they the food was cold and not tasty at all.Seriously.

Staff - The woman at reception was very rude and treated me without respect. Bearing in mind bad reviews I wanted to see the room before I paid for my stay but she refused it and said that I either pay all and I get the key then, or I cancel my reservation and go somewhere else.
I paid the rest for 4 days upfront but after opening the dorm and staying in hostel for couple of hours, I decided to find something else.
I didn't check out and wanted to go back there only for meals.
I found really nice hostel on Ocean Drive (with ocean view) and I checked in there( I am not saying its name purposefully.I don't want you to think that I put this negative review to advertise other place).
One day when I went to Intl.Travellers to eat dinner and opened my room and I found a girl sleeping on my bed. Ok, I didn't sleep in the hostel but I haven't checked out yet. They already took someone else.That meant that the staff took money twice for this bed - once from me and another time from this girl. But when I asked for my money back, nobody wanted to talk to me.

Seriously, find other hostel.
This one is not worth the risk. Especially between June and November (Hurricane season) when it would probably rain most of the time. Imagine staying in this hostel all the time if it is raining?
It's no from me.

Room Tip: Book directly via the hostel website. This is the only website which the hostel staff updates. If yo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Burnley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were there September last year, supposed to be there for 12 nights - we lasted 12 hours.
We checked in to a 6 bed dorm and ended up in a 8 bed mixed as there was no more room :/ the room was filthy. We went for food around 6pm and the music was blasting out and the hostel workers were saying they had 4 barrels of alcohol to get rid of tonight...I felt like I was in magaluf or Malia not Miami...we checked out and waited for a taxi for 45 minutes - in that time there were 2 muggings and an attempted rape. Why? Because the locks on most doors were dodgy and everyone was so drunk from the hostel encouraging everyone to 'party' that they had no idea what they were doing!
Could it wait to leave.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a decent lock!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel? Share your experiences!