“Calling beach lovers and party people!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel to your Saves list
Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   236 9th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Calling beach lovers and party people!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I would recommend this hostel for anyone between the age of 19-30. 2 minutes from the beach. 30 seconds from attractions and shopping. Every night the hostel has something on downstairs, the place literally transforms into a nightclub. Free breakfast daily. Wifi is only available in the lobby. Staff aren't too helpful with booking tours however. Rooms are small and luggage has to be put onto your bed during the day as the rooms are cleaned 4x daily. Would highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed August 2012

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Belfast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I visited this hostel in late April 2012.
I was so looking forward to staying in Miami Beach...
I saw mixed reviews and didn't know if I should choose this hostel but if you go to Miami and have sun and parties there is not many things that can go wrong right? Wrong.

I thought that rude staff, dirty dorms and awful filthy bathrooms and cold food will not put me off, but they did.

I am not a fussy person and I spent time in hostels before but this hostel was very poor.

Dorm - The dorm was tiny and dark.
Everybody kept their bags in the middle of the room because there was no other space, so there was no space left to move.
The dorm and bathroom was also very dirty. Particularly bathroom was in awful state.
There was no locker to lock my passport/valuables.
Only thing that the staff offered me was...a plastic box in the reception, which was marked with my name written on a post-it note and everybody could open it.
Also in my dorm there was an old woman in her 60 and she was creepy and really weird, talking to herself and walking half topless(!). Terrible! Apparently she is long term tenant so if you don't want to meet her, better do not stay there.

Food - I know that having 3 meals in hostel for this money is great but they the food was cold and not tasty at all.Seriously.

Staff - The woman at reception was very rude and treated me without respect. Bearing in mind bad reviews I wanted to see the room before I paid for my stay but she refused it and said that I either pay all and I get the key then, or I cancel my reservation and go somewhere else.
I paid the rest for 4 days upfront but after opening the dorm and staying in hostel for couple of hours, I decided to find something else.
I didn't check out and wanted to go back there only for meals.
I found really nice hostel on Ocean Drive (with ocean view) and I checked in there( I am not saying its name purposefully.I don't want you to think that I put this negative review to advertise other place).
One day when I went to Intl.Travellers to eat dinner and opened my room and I found a girl sleeping on my bed. Ok, I didn't sleep in the hostel but I haven't checked out yet. They already took someone else.That meant that the staff took money twice for this bed - once from me and another time from this girl. But when I asked for my money back, nobody wanted to talk to me.

Seriously, find other hostel.
This one is not worth the risk. Especially between June and November (Hurricane season) when it would probably rain most of the time. Imagine staying in this hostel all the time if it is raining?
It's no from me.

Room Tip: Book directly via the hostel website. This is the only website which the hostel staff updates. If yo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Burnley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were there September last year, supposed to be there for 12 nights - we lasted 12 hours.
We checked in to a 6 bed dorm and ended up in a 8 bed mixed as there was no more room :/ the room was filthy. We went for food around 6pm and the music was blasting out and the hostel workers were saying they had 4 barrels of alcohol to get rid of tonight...I felt like I was in magaluf or Malia not Miami...we checked out and waited for a taxi for 45 minutes - in that time there were 2 muggings and an attempted rape. Why? Because the locks on most doors were dodgy and everyone was so drunk from the hostel encouraging everyone to 'party' that they had no idea what they were doing!
Could it wait to leave.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a decent lock!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I travelled USA after leaving camp america last summer and spent 10days here in August. i didnt expect much because it was so cheap but i was blown away! We stayed in a 6bed dorm that was spotless and cheap- met loads of amazing people from all over Europe that just wanted to party and enjoy the sun! Cant complain about the food... free breaky lunch and dinner- all edible! Only problem was there was quite a big queue but it was all included after all. Jeff the guy running the place was an absolute legend... hurricane irene was due to strike during my stay and he was already prepared and very chilled out. I recommend going on the nights out with the hostel as you meet lots of people and get to queue jump. Would stay here a million times over- 2mins from South Beach and 5mins from amazing clubs :) love love love it <3

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Chose this place for its location & was looking forward to staying there after reading the reviews. The staff were unhelpful & they also put us in an apartment block in a completely different location as we had requested a & booked a private room, this meant we were far from where we were expecting to be, so felt totally let down by this place. If I go back to Miami i will stay somewhere else. Ive stayed in plenty of hostels & this is my worst experience.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I booked a private double room some months before travelling and based my choice upon the reviews, but most importantly upon the excellent location of this hostel. However upon arrival the sullen girl on reception informed me that I would be staying in a condo over a mile inland from the beach as they did not have any double rooms in the hostel. I expressed my dissatisfaction with this and she claimed that this arrangement was clear on the website. I have since checked this and there is nothing on either their website or any of the other booking websites. Resigned to the fact that I would not be anywhere near the beach and nightlife I took the key to the condo and arrived to the most depressing block which seemed like it had been transplanted from the Soviet block! The room was sparse and stunk to high heaven with bleach. The bathroom tap would not turn off and the bed was strangly similar to a hospital bed with only a couple of sheets. I was certainly glad to leave the following morning! I have stayed at wonderful hostels throughout the world and this accommodation was by far the worst. I would give the staff attitude 1/10 as there was no real apology or any attempt to rectify the situation. You may be luckier if you book a bed in one of the dorms but if you are after a private room be aware that they are no where near the south beach area. Incidentally the 'free' breakfast was served until 8am..... I wonder how many people are up and about before 8 after a night out in Miami beach...really?! Come on guys get real!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed at the Miami Beach International Hostel during a short trip to the city after spending most of my time in Key West. The staff were friendly, and the lobby had wifi. The other guests were also friendly and I appreciated that it was a party hostel so would be a little noisy at night. The rooms looked ok though the showers didn't have hot water (again not the end of the world in Miami during summer). However, at night I saw MANY cockroaches running around the dorm room floor, on my stuff(!), and on the walls by the beds. It was absolutely disgusting and I was glad I'd been left with the top bunk in the room, though even then felt like I was in hell. I managed to get maybe an hour sleep after sitting awake debating checking out at 4am. The next morning, I also had bed bug bites on my legs. I checked out immediately after a not very good free breakfast. When staying at a hostel, I appreciate you're not exactly paying for luxury, and so can deal with cold showers, noise, even the occasional bed bug I can put up with. However, cockroaches are something you can keep at bay if you care enough, and though the hostel staff did clean common areas during the day, they didn't do so in the actual rooms. I've stayed in many hostels, even in less developed countries in Asia, and never had roach infestations in the bedrooms. Unless you're staying up all night partying and too drunk to care arriving back in your room in the early hours, I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel? Share your experiences!