“Good location and perfect for party people” 3 of 5 stars

You added Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel to your Saves list
Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   236 9th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Stockholm
“Good location and perfect for party people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hostel is good value for money with a great location close to Miami beach. Arragements of transportation to different good clubs and free lunch and dinner.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I'l start off with the good. This hostels location is AMAZING! Two blocks from the beach, right across the road from the airport express bus, right in the middle of the action. It also attracts a great crowd of people, it's so easy to meet awesome folks from all over the world, and I made some great friends here. Some of the staff are also great people and genuinely seem interested to talk to you, and make you feel welcome. The organised parties and events here are also sensational. I work at a hostel and I could only dream about having some of the parties these guys get every night!!! It's well worth your money to pay the $10-15 to go to these, they normally include a few free drinks, transport to a bar and then transport to a club!

Now for the bad.

While I was there, most of the rooms seemed to have extra fold out beds in them. I suspect whoever does the bookings here must be not that clever. My 6 bed dorm (barely big enough for 6) had EIGHT people in it. Absolutely ridiculous, you couldn't even get out of bed to get to the bathroom. Also, I saw at least 10 people getting turned away on Friday and Saturday night even though they had bookings. I'd read about this and sent the hostel an email to confirm my booking about a week before, which they did. I wouldn't believe them, because I know for a fact they didn't have rooms closed like they told all the people who they turned away - All the rooms had people in them. It also seemed like it was first come first served, so if you're coming here make sure you get here before 7-8pm otherwise you might end up getting told "Yeah sorry, here's your deposit back, I can't find you a bed anywhere, but if you get a cab they can take you to cheap hotels". Not very good.

At the end of the day I wouldn't reccomend staying at this place - what I'd do is stay at a different hotel/hostel and come here for the parties. I met quite a few people doing that, and the hostel seemed to have no idea who was actually staying there at all (a girl who was in my room the first night came back every other night even though she'd checked out, and even slept on the couch a few times!!!)

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

So I arrived here at 11pm. My first impression was great. People out the front, everyone drinking and having a good time. I walk in and tell them I have a reservation and it went all down hill from there.

They avoided me for 5 minutes and told me they would be with me shortly. When they finally got to me, they put this puppy dog face on and told me that they had to move all the people from the "other building" to this building (due to some bug issue or something...that's a worry) and as a result MY reservation (Yes, the one that I put a deposit down for) was cancelled and they could not accomodate me and that they rang around and found somewhere else for me. They were very apologetic, but they were also very keen in telling me how "They had to deal with it all day" and tried to make ME feel sorry for THEM.

Please, spare me the silly business. I'm the customer here, not you. I've just come off a 6 hour flight, you haven't.

Anyway they "booked" me into another hostel and refunded my deposit. However, who are they trying to kid? They booked me a place which was 10 (yes TEN) blocks away from this hostel (And told me I can come back anytime..yeah sure..I'll just walk 10 blocks here every day....fools) They did NOT care about the fact that I booked this place for a reason.....for the atmosphere and the LOCATION - Both of which I would have been denied of at Hostel I had to go to.

Now, while I admit that the Hostel I ended up at (Santa Barbara) had a good atmosphere and was very freindly, I still would have prefered the location of this one (Much better location) and the many other good things about it. However, they didn't care. All they were interested in was getting me another place that would not cause them any extra expenses.

Here is a little customer service advice for the people running this place. When someone is inconvenienced in a BIG way by a fault of your OWN, then it's YOUR responsbility to ensure the customer is entirely happy with their alternative arrangements. If that means having to fork out an extra $100 from your pocket to put the customer in a nearby, albeit more expensive destination then so bet it - But when someone comes off a 6 hour flight, at 11pm and has looked forward to staying at the place, only to be told to go somewhere else much further out and actually slightly more expensive, you do whatever you can do to accomodate their request. You don't just chuck them somewhere else without getting any input from the customer or without ANY negotiation. None. None at all.

So beware. There has been big stuff ups at this place before, (look at some other reviews) and be assured, if there is a stuff up then you're going to be inconvenienced.

Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Well, I stayed 4 nights in this hostel, I am not the party person, but I enjoyed every single night! I was travelling by myself and always stayed at hostels, this was by far the most friendly. Met amazing people from all around the world!
Be prepared for some things: The rooms/bathroom are a bit old and so is the kitchen (free meals, they dont expect you too cook); there's no wifi, except for the lobby (wich is great, makes you talk to a lot of people); there's music in the lobby all day long (until 2pm is not that loud); you have to pay a fee if you pay with creditcard...
The location is great, just 2 blocks from the beach, cant be better!
I am already planning to return,, definitely recommend!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

If you want to be right in the middle of the action in South Beach this is the place to come. I was there for WrestleMania 28 week and the atmosphere was electric. Apart from helping organise parties every night they also arranged a limo to and from the venue for WrestleMania. The staff is always energetic and ready to help. Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed March 2012
US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The staff is friendly and give detailed travel advice. The location is good (close to beach). The music in the bar is ok and it attach young crowd However I was surprised that the room is small and the bed /sheet seem not clean. It was noisy in the night as the street closeby is not quiet and one roommate even brings a male into the female room in the early morning. I can't close the door of the bathroom. The free breakfast is simple but ok. Same as the free dinner. Don't go to the nearby Lee-Ann Pharmacy to buy the day pass. They are not honest (sold me a used card in the morning and refused to refund me when i returned in the evening ).

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

stayed here for a week and it was amazing!! every night the hostel took us to an amazing club or bar with a party bus or within walking distance. the location is less than a 5 minute walk from the beach and is walking distance from shopping centers. the hostel is cleaned daily and the rooms are nice. this hostel definitely had a younger crowd staying there (21-28 years on average) but it may have been because we stayed there during spring break. Every day you are served free breakfast, lunch AND dinner and it is not peanut butter and jam sandwiches. they serve meat and veggies in every meal! Most importantly, however, is the staff. They are the most friendly people I have met!! All of them went above and beyond to make our stay the best it could possibly be and helped to create some amazing memories. Everything about this hostel is stellar - by far the best I've stayed in (and I've been to many). If you're young and like to party and meet amazing people, stay here!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends