“Bathroom” 3 of 5 stars

Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   236 9th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
“Bathroom”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011 via mobile

I've been for a week, but faced drain floating problem almost everyday!!!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Not only will I never return to this hostel, I will never return to Miami, what a crap place full of sleazy people and it's expensive.

We hada private 6 bed dorm room, we arrived late at night to find someone living in our room - I mean actually living there. She also cooks the food there which we werent going near. Generally you expect to party in a hostel but not with her in the room we would get abused everytime we turned the light on or opened the door or even talked, the cupboard and bathrooms were full of her stuff and we felt like we were invading her house, I'm pretty sure it's illegal on some levels!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We'd booked a private room but ended up 3 blocks from the hostel (Jeff. Ave) at appartement no.1 with free wireless (Miami Net) and a free parking lot. It was a spacious app for 2 (4 doublebeds!), a big flatscreen, kitchen en a small patio/garden. The airco is new / not so much noise. The downside of it: right next to the entrance so when people are smoking and chatting in front of the building, don't hasistate to ask to put the volume down, it will safe your sleep.
The app. and bathroom were reasonably clean, but you will need a can of bug spray, just in case.

The hostel provides three free meals a day (also for the app. guests), lot's of trips/tours and a clubnightprogramm. Large group of hostelguest will join, so if you are in to clubbing... The entrance of the hostel looks like a club as well, and you will be welcomed by music during dinner and early evening. Let's just say, we were happy we'd stayed at the appartments (appr. 12 app. in the block) and could visit the hostel.

The art deco area is very beautiful, beaches are nice and wide and the ocean was clean. The oceandrive is an all hotel/restaurant boulevard.

Room Tip: Top of the building or appartments!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Overall, staying in this hostel was a great experience.

My boyfriend and I stayed in a private room with a private bathroom for a week in April and I have to admit we were slightly nervous that it would be a loud, party hostel (We were looking to have fun, but mostly for some R&R). However, while this hostel has a vibrant, social, party atmosphere, we had no noise trouble whatsoever in our room.

The facilities were clean (and cleaned every day). I have to say it was the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in. The staff was friendly and courteous although sometimes the music was too loud in the lobby to actually ask questions or conduct any business.

They do a very good job of exposing you to the Miami nightlife; every night you could meet in the lobby and go as a group (for a discount or VIP access) to a popular club/bar. It's less than 2 blocks from the beach and within walking distance to anything you could want.

They offer free meals 3 times a day, but from what I saw, they did not offer any vegetarian dishes so I did not partake.

Our only grievances, and they are minor, is that it could be less expensive. We paid about $100/night for a private room. And we are still waiting for our $10 deposit for the room key. They are supposed to give it to you when you check out but the person at the counter did not have access to the register when we had to leave.

We would recommend this hostel!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

came travelling solo from UK on a short holiday. I've left with about 50 new contact and friends, from all over the world. this is a place to be, hostel mama is cool if you don't upset her ;)
extremely close to the beach, next door is pizza and and a liquor shop...every evening some party and hanging out in the lobby!
what a holiday I had. I will be back there later this year.

• Stayed June 2011
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I'm having a serious problem with the MIAMI BEACH INTERNATIONAL TRAVELLERS HOSTEL. I bought a camera for US$1300 and I asked Amazon to ship it to the hostel’s address. Everything has been agreed previously with the staff. The package had not only the hostel's address, but also my name and my arrival date. Amazon delivered the product as expected and I have the receipt of UPS with a hostel employee signature. Now the camera is missing and nobody can find it. Note that the entire package weighed 11.6 lbs, I mean, is not something easy to miss. Nobody did anything to help me find the camera, what makes me believe that they have something to do with a supposed stealing and mail violation, which is a federal crime under the US laws.

Here is the detailed story: I talked to almost all employees who worked during my stay and none of them remembered anything about giving a 11 lbs package to any other guest. The girl who received the package (who signed the UPS receipt) was on vacation during the days when I was at the hostel and would come back to work only two days after my departure date. Her cellphone didn't work. The guys from the hostel called her but had no answer. They left voice messages on her cellphone but she did not call back. Until now (more than one month later) they didn’t tell me if the girl came back or not.

I asked the hostel staff to check out the surveillance videos, but they told me that only the owner could do it and show me the videos. OK. The owner simply did not show up in the hostel during the days I was there, even being aware of what was going on and that I would leave his hostel in the following two days. If he didn’t want to go there, it is fine, but he could have authorized somebody else to check the videos. However, again, he did nothing at all in order to solve the problem caused by his employees.

When I was there they tried to keep me calm and also tried to make me believe that everything would be solved soon. They told me that the girl probably had placed the camera in a different room due to its size etc. Because of that I did not call the police. They also told me that the owner would go to the hostel on one of the days that I was there and I stayed at the hostel all this day, waiting for the owner. However he did not show up. Since I came back home, they take a long time to answer my mails and keep saying to me that they are not responsible for my package and that they receive many costumers’ orders.

I had to ask a friend of mine in Miami to report this federal crime and hire an attorney to request the reimburse of my material damages and the payment of the moral damages. Also, such hostel and its employee Ms. CAROLINE WAIVER will be sued due to the federal crime of mail interception and violation.

GUYS PLANNING TO STAY THERE, BE HEAVILY CAREFUL WITH YOUR STUFF AT THIS HOSTEL. It's unsafe and you can not count on the staff. Be careful now, so you will not have troubles in the future.

Room Tip: UNSAFE! If you plan to shop, look for other place.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

The staff were welcoming, arrived on a Sunday and signed up right away for the nightclub event. stayed in 8 bed The room was small and bathroom a little cramped too. But each night (except Mondays) they had events on, Tuesday night was a Limo ride to a club. Each night was amazing going out. The people I met here were amazing and made the experience totally worth it. Free feeds through out the day were helpful when on a budget! My room was away from all the sound and noise so sleeping was fine, but a room closer to the entrance could get loud I'm sure. I've seen reviews about cockroaches and bed bugs. I didn't see any, but i did get bitten by a lot of Sand Flee's which was my own fault for drinking on the beach then passing out on my bed with out washing off the sand.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel? Share your experiences!