“HORRIBLE VISIT” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dallas, Texas
“HORRIBLE VISIT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

DAY 1: We arrive at the hotel at approx. 9pm. We were told the free wi-fi was temp. down. We get to our room and realize there were only enough towels for one person. We ask the front desk clerk for extra towels and get, "we are out of towels but I'll see what I can do". What hotel run out of towels???
DAY 2: A late night storm comes through. We wake up to dripping water from the window (have pictures to prove it). Luckily it did not ruin my cell phone and watch that were on the night stand. Front desk clerk did move us to another room as promised. So we get moved to another room and the bath tub clogs up while showering. We notify the front desk clerk and she told us, "I will notify maintenance". She also could not tell us what number to call to reach the front desk which we figured out ourselves. Which was "0"
DAY 3: Wake up and turn on the TV. TV shows a message to contact the front desk for a new remote because the battery was low. I call and get this reply, "oh wow I've never had this before. I don't have any extra remotes or batteries. I'm the only one at the front desk and can't leave but if you'll go to the store and buy some, I'll reimburse you". True story!!! So later that evening, we shower again and surprise, the tub is still clogged (have pictures to prove it). Oh and the bathroom window was stuck open!
Last day: During checkout I notified the clerk about the tub still being clogged. We didn't get I'm sorry or any type of apologize. It was, "oh yeah I saw that on the maintenance list".

Room Tip: If you get a hotel here, you will regret it. Spend the extra $$ and go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JimmyMouawadGM, General Manager at SBH South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the challenges that you faced while being our guest. I am pleased to say that we have completed an interior renovation of the hotel since you last stayed with us, and each room is updated.
In addition to the renovation, we also offer more amenities such as: breakfast for 2 included in the room rate, 2 free espressos per day, and valet parking available at the entrance of the hotel.

Best Regards,
Jimmy Mouawad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
Wurzburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am a german. This is a typical wooden wall hotel. We stayed two nights in May 2013 in this hotel. The hotel was clean. The furnishings were not very new. The A/C in the room works not very good. In the floor the A/C was very cool. The bathroom was ok. But the windows are very hard to open. We lived to the courtyard. In our two nights it was not noisy. The room had a door to the next room. We could hear the complete dialog from the neighbors.
I would book this hotel once more. Parking was no problem on the street. You can pay the parkingticket with Credit Card.

Room Tip: Take a room to the courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the challenges that you faced with the air conditioning while being our guest. I am pleased to say that we have completed the renovation of the hotel since you last stayed with us, and each room is updated.

Best Regards,
Hulst, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Nice hotel where we stayed 5 nights.
Its simple but clean.
We've made reservations for a room with 2 beds, at arrive it turned out that there was only 1 bed, i went back to the reception and explained our point and showed the reservation where it said 2 beds.... she was giving us a bit of a bad look and something like there is no more place but i stayed at the desk and kept asking....she then gave us another room, nice sort of suite with a kitchenette :) Nice clean room, good beds and bathroom, nice tv and the airco worked fine.
The only thing we missed was a little bar for the evenings but you can get some drinks in the supermarked wich is nearby and drink something on the terrace outside.
Breakfast in the morning was also fine!
I would stay here again i i will ever go back to miami (what i wouldnt mined ;p )

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the confusion you had upon check-in. I am pleased to say that we have completed the renovation of the hotel since you last stayed with us, and each room is updated.
In addtion to the renovation, we also offer more amenities such as: breakfast for 2 included in the room rate, 2 free espressos per day, and valet parking available at the entrance of the hotel.
We also have an in-room mini-bar available to guests.

Ronceverte, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel is NOT worth the money. Very small room, no coffeemaker, no microwave, no refrigerator, TV remote didn't work, no hot water, no place to sit other than the bed. We were given a room on the corner beside the small courtyard where all employees went for cigarette and talk breaks, so all night long that's all we heard and smelled, then at 6:00 a.m. construction was begun on a room just two doors down and it was LOUD! There is NO PARKING unless you feed the meters which are $1.75 an hour or $40 a day in the parking garage behind the hotel. We fed the meter for three days and got a parking ticket anyway on the last night there at 1:45 a.m. No continental breakfast, no restaurants close that are affordable. Everything is exorbitantly priced in this area. Worst vacation EVER. In fact, I'll never go back to Miami for any reason.

Room Tip: Forget choosing a good room, there aren't any at this motel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the challenges that you faced with construction noise and amenities while being our guest. I am pleased to say that we have completed the renovation of the hotel since you last stayed with us, and each room is updated.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Steer clear of this hell hole! I literally have moved rooms three times. When I arrived, I was given a room upstairs. Unbeknownst to me, the air conditioning did not work. It was literally 88 degrees Fahrenheit in my room! When I called the front desk, they told me that I just needed to adjust the thermostat. After calling repeatedly, someone from the front desk finally came up to check the room. I explained to them that it was actually cooler in the hallway than in my room and I had to leave the door open until they had come upstairs to help. When they cameup to look at the air conditioning they told me they would get me another room because they didn't want me to swelter. So what do they do? They give me a room downstairs where little did I know, I would be waking up at 8:05AM to CONSTRUCTION IN THE ROOM NEXT TO MINE!!!! HAMMERS POUNDING, ELECTRIC POWER SAWS, DRILLING!!! I thought that I was dreaming, to think that I would be lowered into the second layer of hell? When I walked out to the front desk, the staff at the front desk appeared were smiling at the horror I had just endured. It took over an hour for them to get me another room "AWAY FROM THE NOISE." I have never been through such a nightmare with a hotel stay. The third room they gave me had a shower curtain that did not cover the entire shower, nor did it go all the way to the ground. After showering, it was as if the seas had receded back from when Moses commanded the seas to part! WATER WAS EVERYWHERE! I literally had to use all of the towels provided me to clean up the mess. Did I mention the ants? Crawling all over the shower. Not in one room, but both downstairs rooms I had the "pleasure" of staying in. During two nights ofy stay, the satellite tv was out for HOURS AT A TIME! The icing on the cake was this morning, when THE DOOR TO MY ROOM WAS OPENED BY HOUSE KEEPING AFTER I JUST GOT OUT OF THE SHOWER! MY PRIVACY PLACARD WAS REMOVED FROM DOOR!!! People, there are plenty of wonderful hotels in Miami Beach but STAY AWAY FROM SOUTH BEACH HOTEL!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the challenges that you faced with the construction and AC while being our guest. I am pleased to say that we have completed the renovation of the hotel since your last stay, and that each room is updated with new furniture, flooring and walls. We have also added more guest amenities such as: breakfast for 2 included in the room rate and 2 complimentary espressos per day.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

this was our first trip to miami, the hotel was easy to locate but has no parking. there is pay parking around back which for 3 days cost $115. The desk clerk gave us a local guide which told us about miami and had street maps etc. The room was clean and modern, but no coffee maker or fridge, there were a selection of purchaseable bottles of water, juice and spirits on the dresser, these were not cheap( $4 for small water) !! there was no info in the room re what facities there were in the hotel or even check out times etc.It turned out the reason there was no info was because there was nothing to say!! there is no faciities and the recommended resturant Charles around the corner was very expensive and small menu. the staff were polite and almost seemed apologetic as every question i asked they had to say no sorry we do not have it. whilst the location was central when we return to miami we will prob chose a hotel with more on site.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be noisy,
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the challenges that you faced while being our guest. I am pleased to say that we have undergone a complete interior renovation of the hotel since you last stayed with us.
We have also been able to add more guest amenities, such as 2 complimentary espressos per day, breakfast for 2 included in the room rate, and valet located at the entrance to the hotel.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here last year with 2 mates, looking to take in the Miami in a long weekend and spend less on a hotel. Overall it served its purpose if you dont mind a bit of a walk to everywhere, rooms are quriky but hot a hell! AC never really worked although was complained about at the time. Big spacious rooms though and the main bed was okay, not so much the pull out but hey what do you expect on a budget! Staff were friendly enough however never really had to ask for much help and only really used the place for the beds.

Room Tip: One with plenty windows incase the AC is broke!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the challenges that you faced with the AC while being our guest. I am pleased to say that we have undergone a complete renovation of the hotel since you last stayed with us, so each room is updated with new furniture, flooring and walls.

Jimmy Mouawad

Been to SBH South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!