“first trip to miami” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“first trip to miami”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

this was our first trip to miami, the hotel was easy to locate but has no parking. there is pay parking around back which for 3 days cost $115. The desk clerk gave us a local guide which told us about miami and had street maps etc. The room was clean and modern, but no coffee maker or fridge, there were a selection of purchaseable bottles of water, juice and spirits on the dresser, these were not cheap( $4 for small water) !! there was no info in the room re what facities there were in the hotel or even check out times etc.It turned out the reason there was no info was because there was nothing to say!! there is no faciities and the recommended resturant Charles around the corner was very expensive and small menu. the staff were polite and almost seemed apologetic as every question i asked they had to say no sorry we do not have it. whilst the location was central when we return to miami we will prob chose a hotel with more on site.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be noisy,
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here last year with 2 mates, looking to take in the Miami in a long weekend and spend less on a hotel. Overall it served its purpose if you dont mind a bit of a walk to everywhere, rooms are quriky but hot a hell! AC never really worked although was complained about at the time. Big spacious rooms though and the main bed was okay, not so much the pull out but hey what do you expect on a budget! Staff were friendly enough however never really had to ask for much help and only really used the place for the beds.

Room Tip: One with plenty windows incase the AC is broke!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed for one night with 3 of my girlfriends, we were celebrating my best friends bachelorrette party. We arrived pretty late in the night & the lady at the font desk asked very strange questions (like what part of Miami I was from..) When we got to the room it was an oven..wayyy hot...even after we adjusted the AC. When we used the bathroom it did not flush. I called immediately to the front desk and she was pretty unhelpful, no one fixed the toilet for us and when we got back (from going out ) the toilet was still clogged. The next morning when checking out the gentleman at the front desk was much more helpful. I might reconsider staying at this hotel if it my only option in the area (for the price) but as of now not considering it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Curitiba, PR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I will relate a case that happened about a month in south beach hotel - miami.

I made a reservation for 2 nights in South Beach Hotel in Miami, but I received an email informing me of cancellation due to non-acceptance of credit card. Then I requested a new reservation now for only 1 night which was accepted by the system. The reservation was made by Brazilian website decolar.com south beach hotel and received confirmations through hotelbeds.com.

Check in: 03/27/13
Check out: 03/29/13

On reaching the hotel, I was notified by MANAGER CONFIRMED that there were two reservations in my name and that the two have already been processed and the payment due to the cancellation policy of the hotel reservations, could not
cancel one of the reservations.

I informed the hotel that this case would be the two nights and after contacting the decolar.com informed me that if there were double booking on one of the nights my money would be returned.

On the afternoon of the 28th that my problem began.
After arriving at the hotel enjoying the last day of stay in the city (my flight would leave on 29th morning) I went to the lobby to use the internet. After some time the receptionist asked if I should have gone! I found it odd that question in a very rude tone. I explained what had happened over the two reserves. He said the system had only a reservation and then I should solve all the next morning with management.

I said I would not have time to resolve with management the next day because I should leave the hotel by 7:00 AM and we would call the manager who the day before had told me about the double booking.

The rude receptionist said that the manager was not available. I left to go to the pharmacy. When I returned to the hotel, I was informed by the receptionist that it should pay 2 nights and that neither reservations had been confirmed. He asked me for a credit card to spend two nights. I refused to give the credit card and said it would only pay for one night because the night before I had confirmation from the Brazilian site.
He told me I SHOULD PAY THE TWO DAYS OR LEAVE.

I was extremely upset with the attitude of the receptionist and said I WOULD GO AWAY. I packed my bags and left the hotel at 8:30 PM looking for a hotel for the next day back to Brazil. During this month I thought we should do or not such claim or even should trigger this hotel due in court the situation I went through.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FINLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

NEGATIVE
- No hotel own parking
- Free spaces in nearest city parking lot available only in night time
- You can hear all the noise through windows. Feels like there is no windows at all.
- Breakfast not included in room rate. And the breakfast that you can buy from hotel is quite small and under average.
- Not so active service from hotel personnel

POSITIVE
+ Big city parking lot nearby
+ Location
* Beach is close
* Not right in city center so there is some possibility to find parking lots
+ There is french style bakery ("La Provence French Baker") nearby which has good breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel since all other hotels were pretty much booked.
I had read the bad reviews on this site and I thought it'd not be a pleasant experience.

However, it went alright and we didn't have any problems.
One night, we had to complain about the noise, but the staff quickly took action and it was fine.

But I have to agree with most of reviews on this site, you shouldn't really expect customer service.

Room Tip: Request a room that's not facing the entrance.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lac du Bonnet, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotels.com which I will never use again! We arrived after a cruise too early to check-in so we asked about storing our luggage which they had no problem doing. After walking around, we decided to take a bus/boat tour which would take 4 - 5 hours. We let the fellow at the front desk of the hotel know we were going on a tour and wouldn't be back for 4 - 5 hrs. This was at noon, and there was still no room available. After our tour, we returned to the hotel, and after the "manager" made a couple of calls, he informed us there was a problem. Someone didn't want to check out so they had no room for us. After a further call, he said they could give us another room. We had booked a standard double and were given a room with one bed. They put in a rollaway bed and threw a couple of king sheets on it - no pillow or blanket. I was with my two adult sons and was not happy about either sleeping on a rollaway or with one of my sons. After all, we were paying just under $300 for one night. Then we discovered that the bathroom had not been cleaned. There were hairs and globs of soap or hair product in the sink! My son wiped the tub with a piece of tp which came away black! We reported this to the "manager" who came up, had a look and told us they had no cleaning staff on site. We also got no apologies! It was around 7 p.m. Needless to say, we couldn't stay there, and so we were forced to find other accommodation. That was on the 17th of March, and Hotels.com tell me they can't get hold of the manager to confirm my story. I reported this on the 20th and have been getting the runaround ever since. Unless I get my money back, I will have paid just under $600 for one night in Miami! Lesson learned? Never book with a third party. Had we booked directly with the hotel, we would not have been charged ahead of time! BTW - Hotels.com said they have tried numerous times to get in touch with the manager with no luck! Hmmm...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to SBH South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!