“DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Lac du Bonnet, Canada
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotels.com which I will never use again! We arrived after a cruise too early to check-in so we asked about storing our luggage which they had no problem doing. After walking around, we decided to take a bus/boat tour which would take 4 - 5 hours. We let the fellow at the front desk of the hotel know we were going on a tour and wouldn't be back for 4 - 5 hrs. This was at noon, and there was still no room available. After our tour, we returned to the hotel, and after the "manager" made a couple of calls, he informed us there was a problem. Someone didn't want to check out so they had no room for us. After a further call, he said they could give us another room. We had booked a standard double and were given a room with one bed. They put in a rollaway bed and threw a couple of king sheets on it - no pillow or blanket. I was with my two adult sons and was not happy about either sleeping on a rollaway or with one of my sons. After all, we were paying just under $300 for one night. Then we discovered that the bathroom had not been cleaned. There were hairs and globs of soap or hair product in the sink! My son wiped the tub with a piece of tp which came away black! We reported this to the "manager" who came up, had a look and told us they had no cleaning staff on site. We also got no apologies! It was around 7 p.m. Needless to say, we couldn't stay there, and so we were forced to find other accommodation. That was on the 17th of March, and Hotels.com tell me they can't get hold of the manager to confirm my story. I reported this on the 20th and have been getting the runaround ever since. Unless I get my money back, I will have paid just under $600 for one night in Miami! Lesson learned? Never book with a third party. Had we booked directly with the hotel, we would not have been charged ahead of time! BTW - Hotels.com said they have tried numerous times to get in touch with the manager with no luck! Hmmm...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Beware of this hotel. One of the worst hotel experiences I've had. First my room that I booked over four months in advanced was not available so they gave us a single and rolled in an additional cot. Caesar at the front desk was absolutely rude and refused to compensate me for the inconvenience of their error. The shower was in disrepair (needed to be caulked), and it left huge puddles in front of the toilet which creates a huge slip hazard. Also found cockroaches in our room. There are no ice machine available either. The only positive thing I can say about this hotel was that the kitchen staff was friendly. Other than that, this place was a dive!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chester, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I arrived today at 3:30 ready to check in ( check in is at 3:00). We had to wait until 5:00 to check in because our room was not ready/ clean yet. The front desk clerk did not apologize for this inconvenience. He was actually down right rude. He also would not check our bags until our room was ready. Instead he said we could leave them in the lobby, but he would not be responsible for them. In all my years of travel, I really have never experienced such rude customer service. The price and location are good, and the rooms seem clean , however I will not come back here based on the very poor customer service. Finally, there is no parking...and no valet. You have to look for street parking. Really...I regret booking ths hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I agree with many of the reviews in that best thing is the location.However it can still be noisy from guests outside and the road.They lost my booking ,much hassle and eventually found us rooms.No apologies or gesture for all the trouble they put us through plus expensive phone call to our travel agent in Europe.Fundamentally management is poor because they don't actually care.Some of the staff are very pleasant its just the management !South Beach still buzzing with people..so they don't need to!If you are not American I really can think of so many better places to go than Miami a waanabe look at me culture for the young and insecure

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night in March 2013. From the outside you think it is a classy art deco Hotel. Inside it is functional, clean, and modern. We were checked in by a guy on reception who should not be working in a customer facing job, no welcome, no smile as if we were his problem rather than a paying guest. I think he spoke 3 words. He took forever on the computer. No offer of help with the luggage, a "take it or leave it attitude" We went up to the room and it could have been any budget hotel room in the world, like an Ibis if you know European hotel chains. Functional but clean. We walked down Ocean drive all the way to Park Hotel and it took around 20 mins, we got a taxi back. Next morning we walked about 5 mins and you was on the great beach. So if you want a basic hotel not too far from the action book this one. If you want to live the dream and pretend you are on the set of Miami Vice then I suggest to choose another one lower down Ocean Drive where you can park your Ferrari outside.

On check out our bill was incorrect and did not take into account our pre paid voucher. It took forever on the computer as the receptionist banged away at the keyboard for about 15mins in silence, we then dragged our suitcases to the wating taxi, no offer of help once again.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the entrance and was OK, you can park outside on parking meters to unload and ch...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The location is super - the hotel is located two blocks from the beach, five blocks from Lincoln Road (lots of restaurants) and seven blocks from Ocean Drive. However, the hotel is not super. Our room was a good size, but the bathroom window did not close and we faced the street. At times it felt like we were sleeping outside. There were no frills. When I needed plastic cups for the bathroom, I had to hunt them down.

The hotel does not have parking, and parking in the lot behind the hotel is $45 per day. Parking on the street is only for 8 hours at a time. We found an outdoor parking lot two blocks away (behind the Bass Museum) charging $20 per day. Best deal.

Breakfast is not included, and it is not cheap. But, the two gentlemen who serve breakfast are delightful. The gentleman behind the front desk - not so much. We were able to request to check out an hour later, which was helpful for extra beach time.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not face the street. If the bathroom window open, ask if there is some way...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Fantastic hotel,and staff were so so helpful and friendly,two names that stand out for us,is Jane in the dining room,who was nothing but caring,helpful,kind and a laugh,i did not want to leave,and she gave us a big hug the morning we left, but must say the breakfasts were just brilliant ,and a great choice every morning, then there was Troy at reception,always had a smile on his face,and everyday had a different coloured shirt on,which we always remarked on and that made him smile more,but like all the other staff at reception they were all lovely in the same way,its just a job to remember there names. Then there was our room attendant Shekera?? she was so helpful,kind and caring and our room was very spacious on the second floor,beatiful views of the sea. Would we go back,"YOU BET". The beach was just across the road,where we was every day,or you could go into the pool,just outside from reception. Perfect location,shops 2 mins away,10 mins drive from the Gap,and Oistins on a friday night must not be a missed. Saving up now for next year now, (and a hat for Janes wedding)ha ha.Linda Dear and Ossie Arthur, Bedfordshire.

Room Tip: We was on second floor,had good sea views, so i guess higher the better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to SBH South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!