“must stay at Boulan South Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boulan South Beach

Save Saved
You added Boulan South Beach to your Saves list
Boulan South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   220 21st Street, 2000 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #88 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Dearborn, Michigan
“must stay at Boulan South Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed atthe Boulan South Beach on Aug 30, 2013. the whole experience was great from the room size and staff. Rick at the hotel was extremely helpful with his guest services and tips on where to eat and on the nightlife. If you want to have the best time stay at the Boulan South beach and be sure to ask for Rick he made our trip great we will return soon to the Boulan for another wonderful experience.

Room Tip: ask for Rick atthe Boulan he will make sure you are taken care of at all times
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jimmy M, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to compliment our Team Members!

I am truly honored to know that Rick's customer service made a difference in your visit to Miami Beach. I have passed on your kind words and he was extremely thankful.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My girl and I stayed for the weekend. And let me just say we had the time of our lives. From check in to check out. As soon as u walk in your greeted by a friendly front desk, and Rick the bellman which knows where all the hots spots in south beach are! Going to the room you just have sexy art all over the place. Once in the room it felt like I had a suite from the size of the room. What made our vacay was the roof top pool sick!!! Already planning our halloween weekend in south beach and Boulan is where its at!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

I will pass along your kind words to Rick. I am delighted to hear that our Room Size, quality and our Rooftop Pool exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you home again soon. Feel free to contact me personally for your next booking.

jimmy@thinkproperties.com
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We checked into the Boulon on Monday. We were early so I called ahead and asked if our room was ready. I was told that it wasn't but that we could check in when we got there and they would call us as soon as it was ready. I asked if they could just call when it was ready rather than having to come in first. I was told no. If I wanted to be called I would have to come into the hotel and check in first. Why it wasn't possible to just call when it was available, I have no idea. We went to the hotel when we arrived in South Beach. The woman at the front desk checked and said she had another room ready. Great, so we got our keys and went up to the room. Once we got in the room I immediately started checking out our sleeping accommodations. My biggest concern as I had booked a room with one king and a sleeper sofa for 4 people. I went to the "sleeper sofa" (which looked tiny) took the cushions off and pulled out the so called bed. The sofa was torn to shreds and the "bed" was nothing more than a tiny cot that was bent and would not even open properly, NO MATTRESS. I took pictures of it and went down to the front desk. I showed her the pictures and she apologized and looked for another room. A bellman took me up to another room to see if it was more suitable. It wasn't, the sleeper sofa in that room was nothing more than a glorified futon that would at best sleep one person. I told her that wasn't going to work. She said I could wait until 4:00pm and they would find us something else. I said fine, my family and I left and waited to hear from the hotel. At 4:00pm I received a phone call from the hotel informing me we would be in the last room I was shown. I told them that would not fit my family of 4 which is what I paid for. They offered a roll away at my cost. At my cost?? I'm suppose to pay for an additional space that was suppose to have been provided? We did not return to the hotel immediately as we were having dinner. A little while later I received another phone call from the hotel saying they were going to upgrade us at no charge to a room that would better accommodate us. Wonderful..... well, kind of. We returned to the hotel and went up to our new room. The sleeper sofa was a huge upgrade over the previous rooms. That being said, it was still very small and very uncomfortable. My children are older, my son is 14 and 5'11 and my daughter is 17 and 5'8. It may have been fine for two smaller children, but was not good for my kids. I don't believe I read anywhere that the sofa sleeper was only for people of a smaller size. I was thrilled to have a kitchen so that I could cook and save a little on dining out. Unfortunately, to say it is an equipped kitchen is a bit of an overstatement. There is an oven but no potholders, I had to use a hand towel from the bathroom to remove things from the oven. There are no dish towels or dish clothes, plenty of spoons and knives, but only 3 forks, pans, but no lids, let me correct myself, there were lids, they just didn't go to the pots that were provided, a dishwasher but no soap or tablets for the dishwasher.... etc. When we asked for these items, we were told they did not have them. I ended up purchasing a number of items I expected to be provided.

The pool closing at 8:00pm was another disappointment. My kids were so excited about the pool, however, we were typically gone throughout the day and it was something we had hoped to use later on.

We stayed for two days. On our last day, we checked out right at 11:00am. No issues with checking out until I was driving across the street to park my car and realized I had left my iPhone charging in the iPod dock in our room. I parked my car, rented some bikes that were right next to the parking lot and returned to the hotel (took maybe 15 minutes from the time we left). I sent my daughter over immediately while I finished paying for the bikes. When I arrived back at the hotel, they were in the process of looking for my phone. Why it was a process, I do not know. I told them where it was, It should have been as simple as getting the phone and being on my way.... right? WRONG! My phone was no where to be found. My son starting calling it... it was shut off. While I knew right then, my phone had been stolen, I continued to let them look in the hopes that I was overreacting. I told the woman from the front desk my concerns about the phone being shut off. A phone doesn't shut off by itself, someone has to do it. She told me they would review the security footage. I said fine, I had to catch up with my kids on the bikes and would return shortly. When I returned, they were still looking at security footage. After waiting some more (this whole process took about 2 hours), a manager came over and spoke with me. He apologized and said that no one else other than his staff had entered the room so they do not know what happened to it, but will continue to look for it. Are you kidding me? It was in a docking station, turned on, and then someone turned it off, I returned only moments after leaving.... it doesn't take a genius. As someone who has worked in hospitality for over 20 years, in management for the last 8, I have never seen such a lack of concern for what is such a serious issue!

I have stayed in a number of hotels over the years with my children. When managing things for four people it is easy for things to get left behind. This is not the first time I have left my phone behind, however, it is the first time I have ever returned to a hotel to retrieve an item only to find it gone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

I apologize for the challenges that you faced while being our guest. Would you be kind enough to reach out to me at jimmy@thinkproperties.com so that we can further discuss your stay?

I hope to speak with you soon so that we can address all your concerns.

Respectfully,

Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Exceptional, outstanding, superb do not begin to describe our experience at Boulan South Beach. Our, my sister, 18 year old nephew and me, stay was between August 22 and August 26. From the moment we arrived to the Hotel Lobby (via the Express Bus from the airport for only $2.35, and let off across the street from the hotel!!!!!) we were greeted by the smiling welcoming staff of the Front desk. Jessica, Luis, Alex and everyone else we came in contact with made us feel like we were visiting relatives as opposed to strangers from 'Anywhere, USA'. Comfortable is how we felt.
Jessica puts the word multitasking to a whole level in itself. Professional and knowledgeable about South Beach as well as the surrounding areas, Jessica was also able to tell us about her first hand experience on the Airboat/Gator Tour, which we also took.
Our chins hit the floor as we entered our Penthouse level condo/suite. It was so much more than we expected. The fabulous pictures on the website do this hotel no justice. Spacious and just as clean, if not cleaner than my own home (and I have a cleaning service). The decor is to die for. I felt I had just stepped into an episode of HGTV.
Our every need/want was met almost instantly. Extra towels, no problem, can't get the TV to work, no problem. We have friends who live in and around South Beach/Miami who came to visit us at the hotel. First Question: Whoa, how did you find this place? It is fabulous. One friend rode his bicycle, and was given a safe place to keep it until his visit was over. All of OUR guest were given the same outstanding hospitality shown to us.
The hotel is within walking distance of EVERYTHING. Shopping, dining, beach, nightlife Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. Five minute walk to the beach where we received out complimentary beach umbrella and two chairs. The complimentary breakfast is delicious and filling as well. Can't figure out why some others thought it was a waste of time.
Although we didn't spend a lot of time there the rooftop pool area looks like something out of a movie about the rich and famous. The Zen Garden is beautifully well appointed and yes, peaceful. The colors are very pleasing/soothing to the eye, IMHO.
From the photos we took and our wonderful experience at the Boulan, my friends and coworkers who love Miami plan to stay there during their next trip down. Boulan is definately going to be the ONLY hotel I stay in in Miami from this day forward.
I've been to South Beach many, many times but just learned about a fantastic place to eat. The Big Pink is located on the corner of 2nd and Collins. The building IS Pink and there is a pink VW Bug parked in front. The portions at the Big Pink are "BIG". I took half of my meal back to the hotel. The three of us ordered different meals and tasted each-others'. OMG, Delicious and great prices. They also have a kids menu.
Next year there will be a group of us and I can't wait....neither can they!! Thank you Boulan Hotel. I shall return!!

Room Tip: I booked this room through Expedia. You avoid the additional fees some of the reviews mentioned.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jimmy M, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for being our guest recently and taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed review.

I am glad that our location was a key element to your vacation and even more delighted to hear our room size and décor as well as our friendly staff exceeded your expectations. I have shared your kind words to the team, especially Jessica, Luis and Alex. They are appreciative of your review and wanted to thank you!

We look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Best Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The hotel is in a great location to walk to the beach
It has very big and clean outdoor swimming pool on the top floor. The service is very good and there are a lot of great hotels near by to eat at. It is a very good hotel for family's to enjoy their summer at. It has Sub zero refrigerator and mile cook top.

• Stayed August 2013
Jimmy M, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to share your experience.

We are thrilled you had a great stay and we hope you will come back to visit us very soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

So this hotel/condo was exceptional. In terms of the room. The room had a cockroach on the balcony but thats about it everything else was okay and for a good price for me at 377 per night this was near all the shops restaurants etc... But the check in in was a little rusty they said they could not find our reservation so we waited for about an hour for them to reenter it. And since there was only one person at the desk it was vey long and caused a big delay

Stayed August 2013
Jimmy M, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

I am delighted to read that we met your expectations on our hotel product and location, however, saddened to hear about your challenges that you faced during your arrival. Our front desk team is consistently recognized by our guests for their exceptional service. Would you be kind enough to reach out to me at jimmy@thinkproperties.com so that I can get further clarification as we are always striving to improve our level of service?

I hope to speak with you soon so that we can rectify the cause in our reservation system.

Respectfully,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I would like to start my review by giving thanks to the staff at the front desk specially to Jessica, Alex and Rick as well as the amazing house keeping crew and in particular Edison. They ALL work very hard in making your stay at the hotel the most enjoyable.
We were there between July 13 and the 27th with our two year old son and I cannot say enough about the room we stayed and the great location of this hotel.
The room is huge and has all you need. If you need more plates, cups or what ever it is, you just need to let front desk and house keeping will be over with your request. Like I did you can prepare any meal you want in this kitchen. There is a Publix close by (5 minutes by car), a Walgreens two blocks away or you can take the local bus ($0.25) and get off at Collins and 13th and pick up your grocery or take out at the Art Deco Supermarket (it is open from 7am to midnight). This Walgreens house a great selection of all kinds of items from liquor to souvenirs to food items. Two things I really loved picking up in the morning were the coffee late (large for $1.95) and their fresh pastries and fresh empanadas ($1.99).
If you are early enough you might be invited with a Cuban coffee specially prepared by their staff (delicious).
Most days we went to beach and we had no issues finding an umbrella and chairs. The beach staff is super nice and they work very hard in bringing you food and drinks they prepare right there on the beach.
There is plenty of parking across the street from the hotel if you do not want to do valet parking. Parking on the street is free between 3am and 9am. We did this many times with no issues.
Across the hotel there is a public library so you might want to take advantage of the free internet.
A nice place to eat out on Lincoln Rd is Pizza Rustica that also offers free delivery.
Shopping wise I would recommend Aventura Mall (take the 121 or the S bus) and if on the way back you would like to try the South American cuisine get off at Collins and 79 where you can find El Rey del Chivito and Buenos Aires Bakery.
There is also Merrick Village that you can reach by taking the bus to the train station to Douglas where you get off and hop on the free troley that will drop you right accross from the plaza. On Tuesdays around 10 Children Pottery Barn has special activities for the little ones like for example meeting the Cat in the Hat (it is all an event).
By train you can also go to Dadeland Mall and for that you need to get of at Dadeland South stop.
A few things I would recommend is to pack light because the rooms are equipped with washer and dryer. Also don't mind about going for the free breakfast. It is not worth your time (it is either a spoon of artificial eggs with a toast or pancakes with coffee or juice).
If you need to rent a car there is Avis two block away and if they do not have a car available they can call around to get you one. The staff is very nice there.
To come and go from the airport you can take the local bus that for 2.50 or so will give you a comfortable ride.
Hope that your trip to South Beach and stay at Boulan will be as great as ours was. We cannot wait to be back in South Beach for the fifth time.
Hasta la proxima vez!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jimmy M, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, August 9, 2013

We appreciate having you as our guest for the past two weeks. I have shared your kind words to the team, especially Jessica, Alex, Rick and Edison. They all send their regards and thank you as well.

We look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Mouawad

Been to Boulan South Beach? Share your experiences!