“Potential” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Boulan South Beach

Save Saved
You added Boulan South Beach to your Saves list
Boulan South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   220 21st Street, 2000 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #88 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
“Potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at the Boulan with friends for two nights. The Boulan has great potential to be better. In an up and coming area, construction work at the premisis is active and within the 3 block radius. Beach is 3 blocks down the street, don't forget to ask the front desk for towels. Otherwise you will be at the beach without towels. You are allowed only 2 beach chairs and 1 umbrella, anything extra you have to pay for it (a bit unreasonable for a group of friends). The daily complimentary breakfast at the Sylvano was lovely, great fresh food, great service, but beware, do not sign anything or tip the waiters, since the restaurant will charge the gratuity again when you check out. (I had a big issue with this - I'm a big tipper but my friends and I were very very much disappointed after we tipped doubled at the restaurant, our credit cards were charged for gratuity by the restuarant again). Clealiness of the pool was very poor, although its a very nice pool, we had tidy up an area in order to sun bathe. Even after 2 pm, no one in sight to clean the pool. Rooms unfortunately were not cleaned well, not enough towels for a group of friends and the floors were not cleaned at all. Would I come back? Maybe. The Boulan has great potential to be better, its definitely a nice hotel, hopefully Management and staff department will improve in the coming years.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised to see all of the artistic development in this area around Collins Park and the Bass Museum. Our room had a terrace overlooking both! Their deluxe one bedroom was huge, modernly decorated in a Cando/Deco theme, and the bathroom was the most spacious I've had in a hotel. This boutique spot was a brilliant find from the dining downstairs to the bright, private rooftop pool. Boulan has all of the amenities, including private beach access, of the neighboring big expensive hotels like the W and Setai with none of their traffic or absurd prices. Charles Street, Barezitto, and Sylvano's are great restaurants in and around Boulan; all gourmet and reasonably priced (including daily complimentary breakfasts). Our sectional sofa bed was luxurious, and we heard that new furniture is being installed in all rooms. My friends and I loved this spot, were treated like gold by the staff, and will definitely come back when we visit South Beach.

Room Tip: Try to get a deluxe north facing room overlooking Collins Park and the beach, quiet w/perfect view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at the Boulan which I really enjoyed. Got the bus from the airport to the hotel and the bus stop is right across the street, its really close to everything you'll need. We also got the bus from there to Aventura Mall, again really convenient. Our room was lovely, bathroom was so spacous, the apartment was very well equipped and so clean. We used the roof top pool and gym, which were great. The lady on reception Alex was so friendly and helpful, she recommended and reserved a table for us a Nuvo restaurant which was also great. Would not hesitate to recommend the Boulan, and hopefully this was my first trip of many to Miami.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We returned to Miami on a cruise and wanted to experience a little of South Beach's offerings. I booked this primarily based on location, price and the bed arrangement.

The location is great. A 15 minute walk to Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive, but in a quiet area where you are not going to be kept awake by traffic or clubs.

The price was great! $300 including taxes and fees for mid-April. So much better than the hotels in the same area. Keep in mind, the Boulan is not a hotel. It is private condo complex with front desk staff and housekeeping. They have an arrangement with a restaurant within the same complex, but accessed around the block that serves a complementary hot breakfast with two options. Pancakes or eggs/toast and coffee or juice. The food is actually excellent and the staff did a great job of getting us in and out within 30 minutes as we had to catch a taxi to the FLL airport. Be advised that you will be charged an automatic gratuity and given prices of the breakfast items meant we had a large gratuity (as breakfast goes) to pay.

The condo is big by hotel room standards, but small by condo standards. Ours was decorated in a white/modern/minimalist style with an emphasis on form over function. The drawers to everything required a push to open, but were of very poor construction. Some were broken. The kitchen was minimally equipped (think 4 plates, 4 forks, 4 glasses, etc.) We didn't cook there, so it wasn't a problem for us. The ice machine in the freezer was broken and despite having maintenance look at it and tell us they fixed it, it still didn't produce ice. Finally, they brought us a bag of ice. The bathroom was enormous with a huge soaker tub and walk-in shower. My daughter wanted to take a bath, but the tub drain wouldn't stay closed. We had to call maintenance again and the gentleman replaced the drain cover, which again you have to push once to close and push again to open. We did go up to the roof top pool, which is a wonderful escape. They have lounge chairs and some platform beds with canopies, but the mattresses on the beds were a little too dirty for my liking.

Now the beds. My husband and I really need a king bed and since this offered a king (Temperpedic) and a sofa bed for our girls (11 and 8) I figured we'd be fine. Our king bed was outstanding. On the other hand, you know when a kid finds a sofa bed uncomfortable, it's a bad sofa bed. First, the sofa bed is not a double; it's a large twin and suitable for only one person, even a child. Second, the mattress is 1.5 inches thick, but has an innerspring interior. Basically it is mattress ticking covering an innerspring - very uncomfortable. Also, when our daughter moved at all on the sofa bed, the whole unit creaked loudly. We called the front desk, again, to ask about a rollaway, but they didn't have them. Also, our unit only had sheets for the bed, but no blanket, so we asked them for a blanket for the sofa bed and a set of sheets and blanket to make up the sofa cushion as a makeshift bed for our 8 year old. They only brought one blanket, and we needed to call the front desk again to explain why we needed the extra set. We finally put the 1.5 inch mattress on the floor for my 11 year old as the creaking was just too loud for any of us to sleep.

I gave the Boulan a three rating as it's a mixed bag. The staff was super, even letting us check in very early (10am), which was so appreciated. They responded to all our requests very quickly, but the fact that I had to call the front desk so many times was unfortunate. I felt like I was a being a pain, and honestly we are fairly easy going people. The adjacent restaurant is great and based on breakfast I'd try it for lunch or dinner without hesitation. It's in a great location. We never made it to the beach, but I loved that they had a section for Boulan guests with chairs. Basically, I'd recommend the Boulan to those who require one bed and understand it is a condo that is going to have it's share of quirks.

Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Great clean room. Spacious living. Perfectly situated in the heart of South Beach. Awesome staff!! Breakfast at Charles St very pleasant and quaint. Lots of shops and restaurants in walking distance. A must!

Room Tip: Penthouse for space.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Writing a review about a hotel seems a bit pointless to me, but this place is a gem that I needed to let the world know! Beautiful, chic and you get treated exceptionally well by all of the staff members. The whole experience is quite amazing. Can't wait to go back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our flight had a 7 hour delay and we had problems with the rental car, by the time we got to check in we were cranky and tried. The young lady at the front desk Jessica was amazing, she made us feel welcomed, she was very knowledgeable about thing to do and see in the area, extremely friendly and very professional. We started to enjoy our vacation from that minute..This property is beautiful and the location is great. I can honestly say that this is the first time a have ever written a review. I agree with MS2929 review, if this property ever had any problems in the pasted, they are a thing of the pasted. Keep up the amazing service. I commend you on your excellently trained staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Boulan South Beach? Share your experiences!