“Private slice of Heaven in bustling South Beach!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boulan South Beach

You added Boulan South Beach to your Saves list
Boulan South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   220 21st Street, 2000 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #102 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Private slice of Heaven in bustling South Beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband, mother-in-law, 2 year old son and I just returned from a week of bliss at Boulan. As a condo/hotel we weren't expecting the kind of service we got. The concierge, and then every subsequent staff member we met, was so warm and welcoming. Bakery breakfast was delicious and saved us from spending that much more at restaurants. The suites were quintessentially South Beach - clean, user-friendly, and modern, but maintaining that Art Deco consistency. Bathrooms were spectacular - like something out of James Bond. The pool area was Heaven. Perfect for quietly reading in the sun or for splashing around with kids. The rooms were so noise-proofed, literally the sound of jackhammers directly under our balcony was shut out by the doors.
Except for the lack of coffee makers in the room, the place was perfect. We will book again next year. Best place we've stayed in Miami Beach.

• Stayed February 2013
Maria B, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Marisionboradway,

Thank you very much for a wonderful review. We strive to delight all of our guests and all feedback is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back and if there is anything I may personally do to make your future visit even better kindly let me know.

Best regards,

Albert L. Mertz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Flagstaff, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I couldn't have been happier with the Boulan South Beach. We prefer to stay in "Condo" style hotels with full kitchens and a washer/dryer in every room. The rooms were large, new, and very nicely decorated. Our room had a very nice view up Collins Ave. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed.

We arrived early in the morning, well before check in, and they secured our luggage, provided a place to change and gave us access to the pool. We went and ate, checked out the area, and hung out at the pool. When our room was ready they called us on our cell phone and let us know we could check-in.

The beach is a four minute walk away, and the Boulan has reserved umbrellas and loungers on the beach. Lincoln Road Mall is an easy walk as are the many restaurants on Collins Ave. The heart of Ocean Blvd is a little farther. There is a bus, The SouthBeach Local, which stops right outside the Boulan and makes loops of the south beach area. It's 25 cents to ride and is the easiest way to get to Ocean Blvd.

As I said, we prefer to stay in condos with kitchens and in-room laundry. We pack less, and at night, when we go to bed, we just throw our clothes in the washer. There is a Walgreens just a block or two away to get any last minute items.

The Boulan is adding a restaurant in the future, though for the time being there is no bar or restaurant onsite.

Overall it was great, we will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Hi stayed here from 29th Dec to 8th Jan 2013 on annual holiday. They have MAJOR construction work going on in the units below our apartments. Drilling and banging starts at 8 o'clock. On complaining to the front desk they said it was nothing to do with the Boulan but they had requested that works didn't start until 9am so that we could have longer in bed. I don't appreciate being told on my 2 weeks a year, off from work, what time I should get up and if I don't get up, have to listen to drilling until 4pm.
Upon leaving the Boulan for the day to get away from the noise we see a large compressor in the doorway of one of the units and a man with a jack hammer drilling into the concrete staircase. This was however at the other end of the corridor and although the noises travelled our room was not directly above this, but someone's must have been. Do not book here unless you have checked that the construction work has stopped. Which I would say is many months away from finishing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jackie,

Thank you very much for your feedback. This allows us to continue to create a property which is a market leader, but more importantly delight our guests. I am deeply sorry that you were inconvenienced by the issues you shared as we strive to expand the property. Nonetheless, kindly accept my apologies and feel free to to contact me when you wish to return to South Beach.

Kind regards,

Albert L. Mertz
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just returned from a girlfriends' weekend and we stayed two nights at the Boulan. If you understand that at this time, this is really more of a condo rental than a hotel, you should be absolutely delighted. (I understand restaurants will be opened in the future on the property which should make it more full service). One bad point - when we were there the phones didn't work. It seems like they are still getting this place up and running. Nonetheless, it is extremely sleek and modern, and my guess is the apartment was far more spacious and stylish than any hotel room you could get for its location and price. Although the staff was truly minimal, the front desk guys were extremely helpful, considerate and tried hard to provide excellent customer service. The rooftop pool and lounge area is gorgeous and was my favorite part of the property. I felt like I was in a movie set. If I ever return to South Beach, I would definitely stay at the Boulan again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Although this place is being marketed as a "boutique" hotel which normally means a hotel with few rooms and good style Boulan simply isn't either.
The rooms are small apartments and vary according to ownership. There is NO room service NO bar NO restaurant all of which I would expect to find as checking in a hotel.
We discovered all this upon our arrival as this was not stated on Expedia or bookings although when I was searching for a 4/5 star hotel in South Beach Boulan came close to top of the search list.
This remains a mystery .....
We complained before even viewing the room but since it was almost 10 pm we decided to stay for the first night and as suggested by the night porter discuss our situation with the GM in the morning.
The room was clean but the mattress terrible !
I called Expedia to complain about being sold something that did not reflect reality.
They apologized and said that the terms were "no refund" but if Boulan's duty manager agreed they would provide us a refund and find us alternative accommodation.
I went downstairs to find out the manager was in a staff meeting and although she clearly knew I was going to speak to her(Expedia called prior to me going downstairs) she kept me waiting at least 15 mins.
She was extremely rude and didn't remotely understand my view. I felt fairly intimidated by her severe tone so I returned to the room upset and asked my husband to go see her.
He did and she was even ruder to him talking over him and threatened to call the POLICE!!!!! He hadn't' t even raised his voice but was simply trying to explain the reason of our discontent .
We eventually contacted the owner .(Mr Vardi)
He was nicer to deal with but charged us for the night we stayed ( which I don't dispute) and half the day we spent trying to check out!
If you want a well located self catering accommodation Boulan will do but if you want a sleek hotel
DON 'T.
There are lots of lovely buzzing boutique hotels with polite staff in South Beach !!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bastad, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The best hotel we ever stayed at! We had a big apartment, very clean, two toilets and a bathroom with both shower and bathtub. The staff was very nice and helpful. The only thing you can complain about is the breakfast. Just bread, bagels and Danish, sugar, sugar, sugar....the only thing I could eat was the Philadelphia cheese.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked the BOULAN last minute because my 88 year mother suffered severe damage to her home from hurricane Sandy. I was told that there would be service in this facility but most of the time they don't answer at the front desk. I tried to take a shower last night at 11:00 pm but there was no hot water. I booked an ocean view but as it turned out the hotel overlooks another very large building so you can't see the ocean. I want to move my mother to another hotel but the Boulan has a very strict cancellation policy and so far they won't give a refund. You would think they'd have a little more consideration for an 88 year old woman who's home was ravaged by hurricane Sandy. I 'm hoping they'll be a little more accommodating, keep you posted....
By the way, they're still doing construction on the building and it tends to be very noisy at times, buyer beware....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Boulan South Beach? Share your experiences!