“Good food, pub like atmosphere, fancy restaurant prices” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pubbelly Gastro Pub

Pubbelly Gastro Pub
1418 20th Street, Miami Beach, FL (Nautilus)
305-532-7555
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #125 of 871 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Asian, Eclectic
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Nautilus
San Francisco, California
“Good food, pub like atmosphere, fancy restaurant prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I like Pubbelly, both the Japanese side and the regular side. Overall I think the food is delicious, the atmosphere is cool casual pretty like a pub as the name suggests, and the crowd is hip and fun.

So why 3 stars? First, the prices are high. Dinner for two at either of their restaurants will run you about the same prices as eating at a high end restaurant on Lincoln Road or in one of the hotels on Collins. Second, these places get very busy and the seating staff don't have the best attitude. In my few visits there on busy weekend nights, I get the distinct feeling that they know they're a hot restaurant and it's a busy night, so they're doing you a favor by seating you. I really dislike that attitude regardless of how uber trendy a restaurant is.

Pubbelly originally appealed to me because South Beach lacks nice casual dining places that are still hip yet priced for regular visits on weeknights when you're not looking for a big production over dinner or to spend a lot of money. So while I had high hopes, this place just doesn't fill that gap. For the money, I can just as well go to Sushi Samba on Lincoln or any of the hip restuarants in the hotels on Collins.

So yes I'll be back but not terribly often. I'll have dinner here as often as I would have dinner at any of the more expensive hip trendy restaurants in SOBE.

• Visited December 2012

Hyde Park, NY
“Tantalizing taste, memorable flavor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My husband was searching for something 'different' in Miami area when he stumbled upon a raving review of this place by Anthony Bourdain (his hero). So off we went with our 6 year old in tow (we were on vaca). First impressions, it seemed out of the way, I felt like I was in a rocker's basement, loud 80s hard rock music, loud people, funky dressed wait staff - but lots of personality. There are a few tables for 4 and 2 persons, but the rest of the tables are communal. Only a communal hightop was available so we hopped on up. My cringing at the noise level and yes perhaps inappropriateness that we were here with our child melted away upon the first bite of bbq porkbelly. WOW. I mean WOW. Amazing. Followed by, you guessed it, more porkbelly. And even more after that. Our hands down favorite was the Pubbelly ramen. Loaded with flavor warmth and bursting with creativity I'm still thinking about it 2 months later. It's THAT good. Dishes are served with a means to be shared, I found all of the dishes to be of good size and definately enough for 2/3 people. The Croquetas were delish. The only dish that was not a winner was the duck/pumpkin dumplings. These were actually more ravioli than dumplings and they were a bit too greasy. For dessert we spit an awesome dish called the naughty monkey or something like that. It was delish except they forgot the nuts?! Again, easily overlooked due to the fact that it was so yummy. If you want your tastebuds to sing then don't think twice about coming here - you won't be disappointed, it's worth every penny!!!
If you have kids read on: While generally I wouldn't say this is the best place for kids, they certainly didn't kick us out. In fact our waitress, who was originally from CT (we are from NY) was totally a sweetheart to her. She gave her special chopsticks and an insert to help her use them (she tried!). They offer 2 dishes for kids, thin ramen noodles with butter and herbs or fried chicken. Our daughter chose the noodles and was thrilled. She loved the place. If your child can sit still then you will have no problem enjoying yourself here. We had an amazing time with amazing food :)

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Nice dinner, great waiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had a nice dinner for a first time visit here. They had some interesting dishes on the menu. We tried the pork belly which was delicious. The duck dumplings were great as well. They serve wine and beer. Our server, Derek, was very nice and friendly.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Wonderfully Stuffed with Yummy Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Had a Wonderful food experience this past week at Pubbelly. We ordered almost everything and it was all Great. Must Haves: Dates avec Chorizo goat cream, bacon / Pork Belly kabocha, butterscotch miso, corn powder / Dumplings Shortrib & Corn-black truffle, corn soy, shiso, parmigiano. Loved the space and vibe of the restaurant, made us feel at home in NYC.

• Visited February 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My friend insisted that we hold out for the 45 minute, and it was well worth it. We ordered several plates and ended up ordering more. The Pubbelly ramen was so tasty and we ordered two orders of pork belly. I just checked out today’s menu online (changes daily) and wished I was in Miami Beach tonight, even if I had to wait another hour.

• Visited February 2013