“Wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, NY
“Wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 4 day trip at The Hotel. The staff was nothing but wonderful the entire time we were there. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. The hotel itself was clean and the rooftop pool was nice.
We didn't eat at the resturant but the food looked amazing. The location is great if you do not want to be in the middle of the "club scene." The hotel is located less than a block away from the ocean and right across the street from shopping such as Barney's Co-op, Banana, Gap, etc. No loud music at night or college kids running around. Small boutique hotel, clean in a nice location with the best staff ever.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

We were met at the corner by helpful bellmen who took care of our luggage and valeted the car. The next person we saw was Dani at the desk who upgraded our room on the spot since we were going to be staying for several nights. The room was very well done. It had plenty of storage space, so you didn't notice that it was small. The rooftop pool was wonderful, as is Wish, the restaurant. The gym was also well stocked, and you get 2 beach chairs and an umbrella. I highly recommend The Hotel.

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

I just returned from my trip to Florida and can not stop gushing about this hotel to anyone who will listen! My friend and I drove down to Miami from her house and from the moment we pulled up to when we checked out, the service and experience as a whole were absolutely amazing. the staff were SO sweet and nice, and really made us feel part of the family (which we sensed they really were). they were fun, helpful, accomodating, and really showed us a lot of attention. I'm guessing we probably don't look like their regular customers but it didn't matter and that's what impressed me so much. I've read some comments that perhaps for a 4-star hotel the staff weren't "refined" enough....this is exactly what attracted me to them! David, the bellman, was SUCH a sweetie and my friend and I wanted to pack him up in our suitcase and take him home with us! Upon checking out he loaded us up with a bag of the bath products from our room!

The rooftop pool was fabulous and we spent many hours there drinking Martin's amazing Mojitos and relaxing in the sun. We ate dinner at Wish and it was equally fabulous...the manager came over to chat with us and see how we were doing and even comped us our dessert as we were celebrating my friend's birthday. I've also read comments that the rooms are too small with no view and a tiny bathroom. Well we apparently had one of these rooms but it did not bother us in the least. How much time do you really spend in your room? the bed was super comfortable, the shower was fab, and yes we had that frosty glass window that only opened 4 inches but honestly it didn't phase us. If you want a killer view then go upstairs to the pool!

I could go on and ON but I have never stayed at a hotel before where I was anxious to go back and visit!

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

Seriously, there are lots of hotel choices in Miami Beach but I will never have to search again,this is it for me.From the minute we arrived we felt like part of the family that makes The Hotel so great.Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by David and Jim,which was great because I was frazzled by the driving in the South Beach traffic.David helped me to the desk. Check in went without a hitch and we were closer to lounging by the pool.The pool area was great you have a view of the ocean and the best bartender you could ever want ,Martin.He made the best mojitos and always had a smle on his face.We loved it up there so much we only went to the beach once.

We were very happy with our room and the bathroom was very cool.
We had dinner at Wish which was very nice.The service very attentive and the cocktails were made well and they don't skimp on the alcohol.
Breakfast was included in our room price and served in the Wish restaurant , we really enjoyed it.Good coffee.

I have stayed at larger luxury hotels with great service , these same hotels can be found in South Beach , but for me nothing can compare to the wonderful warm service that we received at The Hotel.I like being treated like family and not just another guest.But I am sure if you just want to be treated like a guest, they can do that too.

London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2006

Lots of good things have already been written about this hotel and they're all true.

It's a great hotel - not too big or small, it's beautifully designed and is in a great location for whatever you're looking for - beach, cafes, restaurants or shops.

We were warmly welcomed on check-in. I mentioned in passing that I'd seen a bagel-slicer and wanted to buy one before I returned to the UK. Danii on reception took it upon herself to research options and later handed me internet printouts of the local stores where I could buy one.

We had a series of hiccups with rooms not being ready or having noise or air-con problems. These were exacerbated by people not keeping their promises to put things right. You got a sense they had some really excellent staff (inc.uding Danii on reception, Jean-Pierre - bellhop and Jyrki the manager) who contrasted with some others who didn't seem completely on the ball. We were offered complimentary cocktails as compensation which are also well worth paying for, especially the frozen mojitos with glow-in-the-dark ice cubes.

The hotel is as great in real life as the photos on their website. Breaksfast in the tropically-planted garden is deligtful as is the rooftop pool with ocean views. And the Wish restaurant is superb.

This hotel isn't perfect (sound insulation between rooms is not great) but it manages to do one really important thing right - which is to make their guests feel special - and without charging silly money for the privilege.

• Stayed April 2006
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2006

A friend of mine was in Miami attending a conference this past week, and invited me down to spend the weekend. She had never spent any time in South Beach so I suggested we go there. I made reservations for The Hotel, having been lured in by the pretty pictures on the website. A Todd Oldham designer hotel, just steps away from the News Cafe, with "the best pool in South Beach"? What was there not to like?

We checked in on Saturday. This is a boutique hotel on a very busy stretch of Collins Avenue, so simply driving a car up and leaving it there to be taken care of by a valet isn't always an option. The public spaces seemed a bit tired, even though they had nice Art-Deco elements to them. This changed radically in the evening, when well appointed lighting made the place very attractive. Hint: close your eyes as you leave the lobby in the day, open them when you return at night.

The room. Small enough that a queen sized bed pretty much took up the space. A frosted window afforded no views, and no wonder--when you opened the window its maximum 4 inches, you saw the motel right across the way. The decor is 1998 Todd Oldham, and it may be time for a makeover. Hugely dated, and showing a bit of wear, it looked more like what a bad weekend at IKEA would have produced. The sheets may be Frette, but the rest seemed bargain basement. There was one good thing about the room. The shower in the miniscule bathroom was the best hotel shower I've experienced in years.

The pool, while small, was fine. A bar, nicely arranged deck furniture and a view to the sea made it a nice place to catch some sun. The (one) elevator that serviced the building could not be relied on however. Long waits led to a quick decision to depend on the stairs. The hotel is populated by nice, friendly people, which made up for what was a highly priced and overrated room. And I suppose if the room was just a place to cool down, shower, hang your stuff and catch some sleep, it was fine enough. Not enough to live up to the hype, however. There are a lot of better looking places for the money in the area. Todd might want to revisit the place that trumpets his name.

Dickinson, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

Just returned from a long weekend in SoBe with the girls for a bachelorette. The hotel was excellent, beautifully decorated and with an unbelievably attentive, accomodating and friendly staff. The rooftop pool was our favorite with the wonderful view of the blue ocean just a block away. That, along with the frozen Mojitos from Wish, the in-house restaurant where you're definitely going to want to reserve a table; the tuna tartare is mouth-watering! It was incredibly clean and comfortable, despite the South Beach small scale, with great attention to detail. Expect some noise at night if you're facing the street and on a lower level, but that is unavoidable in the area, especially on Collins during Spring Break.

The beach is a short 1-block walk away where you'll have cozy, cushioned loungers and shady umbrellas if you'd like & the hotel provides towels.

Again...the service was excellent--from the manager, to the front desk, to the concierge desk, to the cleaning staff. The Hotel definitely goes the extra mile, especially as a small, boutique hotel that makes it a point to get to know its guests. I will certainly make this my home every time I visit!

• Stayed March 2006

Been to The Hotel? Share your experiences!