“Miami getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Miami getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I normally do not write reviews but I find myself relying on them more and more when I book my own travel, so I thought it was time that I start sharing my experiences. My husband and I stopped at this hotel for 2 nights before we got on a cruise ship. Although the hotel is old it is still clean and nicely maintained. I appreciate the service we received, from taking our bags up to our room, free beverage and the beautiful outside area. I am not a smoker so I appreciate that the hotel makes sure to keep the outdoor smoking areas very clean and free of debris. We used the concierge desk to recommend a nice restaurant for dinner and it was excellent. The only reason that I did not rate this a 5 star experience was the fact that the hotel did try to up sell me to a suite when I checked in. I thought that was cheesy and if I wanted the suite I would have paid the suite price. The standard hotel room was nice and the bed was comfortable with fresh white linens. A must for me when I stay at a hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Goldman P, Manager at The Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you Lisa for your review. We are glad you had a good time with us.
We apologize if it made you feel uncomfortable that our front office staff offered you an upgrade fee for our suites.. Usually, depending on our availability, we are able to offer a last minute deal, that wouldn't have been available prior when booking... : )
But as you had mentioned, all our rooms are very nice, and with the roof top pool staring straight out to the ocean, The Hotel of South Beach makes the perfect hotel to stay at.

Hope to see you back soon.

Please contact us directly (reservations@goldmanproperties.com) with any questions or requests.

Have a great day!

Nara Azevedo - Sales Manager - The Hotel of South Beach - naraa@goldmanproperties.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
New Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel is in excellent location on Collins Street, right in the midst of the vibrant action of South Beach. The staff were gracious and helpful, and keen to make the stay a pleasant and memorable one. Check in was efficient. Lobby area is open and spacious. Like many buildings that surround it, it is art deco style, contemporary and light-filled. My room was on the second floor. It was relatively small, with quirky colorful fittings. It looked out to Collins Street. I wasn’t convinced that the room was cleaned thoroughly: garbage had not been removed from small trash can in room; a couple of aged carpet stains need attention. Internet was included, but it was variable, dropping out from time to time and relatively slow. Street noise was OK, perhaps this was because it was a quieter Sunday night. Overall, the room was expensive, and quality was not value for money

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - you may be lucky
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was on a one night stop over in Miami (unplanned) and a friend recommended this hotel. The location is great, on Collins Avenue, parallel street to the beach, with lots of shops, restaurants and bars.
The hotel itself has a roof pool, which I looked at but didn't use as by the time I got there (8pm) it was already closed. My room, although big, was incredibly noisy: noise from the streets and what I assume was an air conditioning unit underneath the room. All night my bed was periodically shaking and I couldn't get any sleep. I mentioned this to the staff the next morning and they kindly offered me a discount on my stay, but make sure you ask for a room higher up. The room itself was quite dated. I have high standards re: cleanness and in my opinion it was not well cleaned, particularly the bathroom. For the cost, I would recommend finding somewhere else to stay.
The only good thing was very friendly service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I'm very conflicted in writing this review. First off, ALL of the staff we met here were super friendly and super nice and really went out of their way to make our stay great. BUT, the reason for the poor review is the management.

I booked two rooms, one for my family and one for my parents. We arrived Sunday in the afternoon and everything was pleasant. We went out around 5pm, and felt something was amiss...couldn't really put our finger on it, but basically we saw prostitutes outside. Not thinking much of it, we ventured out around 830pm and right outside the hotel a man was walking towards us holding his eye, like he just got into a fight. Normally, I wouldn't care about it, but I was pushing my 2 year old in a stroller and that's not the kind of situation I want to be in.

We felt very uncomfortable and expressed this to the management. We indicated we would like to stay the night, but on our second night, we'd like to check out and change hotels. After going through booking.com twice, both times Mr. Lewis indicated that they required a 72 hour notice for cancellation...and they would not make an exception for us. Normally, coughing up one night hotel would be fine, but we had two rooms to forfeit, at a cost of over $600!

Anyway, we decided to make the best of the situation and walked down Collins Avenue and I kid you not, ambulances and firetrucks zoomed by because A MAN JUST GOT SHOT in the stomach down the street. This basically confirmed our gut feeling that something just wasn't right about the location.

Putting that aside, we trooped through our hesitation with the place and noticed that during the day, it was perfectly ok, full of tourists. Perhaps it was just that particular night and perhaps this hotel is near bars/restaurants that attract a certain type of clientele.

The pool was great, the waiter by the pool was great. One complaint, like all others here, is that there is absolutely no sound-proofing in the rooms. We heard every footstep above us and every single conversation outside our door. It was like our room had no door.

If you book a normal room, it is the size of a closet. We were lucky in room 224 that it was HUGE, and it was. My parents room was so small they paid extra and moved to another building (not attached to the main hotel) and it was super quiet.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a bigger room b/c you will need it!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Service-outstanding. Several offers for help, whether it was luggage, maps of the area, recommendations of where to eat, luggage storage, etc. We arrived very early from a cruise, and they were willing to phone/text/email when the first available room occured.

Location-best best best part. A few blocks from the beach, where you have complementary beach chairs with padding and towels. Umbrella is an extra $15 charge. TIP-bring your own food to the beach (plenty of option in the neighborhood). Only overpriced, but decent wraps available on the beach. Ocean Drive is a block away - close to the action, not the noise. Collins (where the hotel is) is great for shopping and art deco architechture. Lincoln is a few blocks away - funky restaurants, shops, grab and go pizza, Cuban, etc. Very easy and safe to walk around. HUGE PLUS.

Rooms/Hotel - beautifully decorated. Bathroom surprisingly poorly lit? Lovely bathrobes. Decent space for luggage. Beds very comfortable. No view or balcony in standard room. Lobby is very pretty (and air con!). Elavator is increadibly slow - but it is an old hotel. Be patient. Pool is exactly as it looks in the photos-towels provided. Breakfast menu is pricy, but lunch is affordable for the area. Complementary drink each a very welcome and nice touch.

BUT....

TERRIBLE sleep quality. My husband's a light sleeper, and you can literally hear every noise in the hallways, even people being respectful and quiet. Conversation sounds like they are next to you in bed. I'm a heavy sleeper, and usually sleep through most nights - here, I was up 5-7 times because of how poorly sound insulated the hotel was...and we were even decently away from elavators. Sadly, this MAJOR issue will likely prevent us from returning to a hotel we generally adored otherwise. Perhaps if you bring earplugs and are a very heavy sleeper, you'll have a better experience.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kenmore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My friends and I LOVED The Hotel!!! John, our concierge was great at restaurant recommendations and reservations!!! Complimentary "Spire" drink was delicious!!! Pool and pool bar were FABULOUS!!! Great coffee and breakfast sandwich as well as fruit, granola and yogurt. Had a salad at lunchtime--VERY fresh and perfect for us!!! Would highly recommend this hotel for its service AND location--short walk to the beach and to restaurants and bars!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

If you can't decide from the long list of hotels look no further!

Me and my boyfriend took our First trip to Southbeach last year October for a last minute getaway. After further review The Hotel had the best customer feedback online and long and behold they definitely live up to their name!

The staff are all very Welcoming and make you feel right at home from the time you arrive. We were quickly checked in and brought to our room in a matter of minutes.

Rooms are nice and kept Very Clean! Room service day to day was awesome too. Easy to sleep in its very quiet even with construction going on at that time it never reached us in our room.

There's so much to see and do me and my boyfriend didn't know where to start. The staff were very informative and helped us through it all from the best places to eat, and the places to explore. We were in Southbeach around the time of the Miami heat game season opener (and I wish I remembered his name because this review is long overdue) but one of the staff went above and beyond to get us last minute tickets for the best prices and seats possible (which was an experience of a lifetime btw!)

The rooftop pool and patio is awesome pool is smaller then it looks but overall relaxing place to be and nice amenity to have footsteps from your room.

Their in house gym was a nice amenity to have as well we used it as often as possible to keep up with our workouts whenever we could. Has all the fundamentals that you need!

I wish I remembered all the staffs names that helped us out when we were there because you all were so wonderful, but I'm sure we'll see you soon cause when we go back were definitely rebooking with The Hotel of Southbeach!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Goldman P, Manager at The Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this amazing review.
The Hotel of south Beach and all its staff take pride into bringing happiness to our guests. We all love what we do and as you mentioned, it shows...

Please let us know of your next visit, you can contact us directly. Become a Gold Card member on our website and receive Continental breakfast, free upgrade upon availability, 10% off food and beverage... and more, just for being our special repeat guest.

Hope your day is an amazing one.
See you soon,

Been to The Hotel? Share your experiences!