“Sagamore--great little place among giants” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Suite Life- 10% off
Ranked #59 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Florida
“Sagamore--great little place among giants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

The Sagamore bills itself as "The Art Hotel." It's that and a whole lot more. It sits on Collins Ave. on the same block that holds the Delano, the National, and the Ritz Carlton. So it's in a very good neighborhood, and only a half block from Lincoln Road and about 4 from Ocean Drive. Locationwise, you can't do better.

The decor is modern, white, design in the style created by the Delano. It has all the amenities--nice pool, great outdoor bar and seating by the pool, well-equipped gym, breakfast buffet and dining facilities, and even a nice quiet (a rare thing in south Beach) sitting area. The back of the hotel "fronts" onto the new stone boardwalk that parallels Collins Ave. with the ocean and the beach on the other side. You can walk or jog for miles and scope out all the other classy hotels in the area.

The rooms are, I think, all suites with a sitting room with sink, microwave, larger than normal refrigerator, etc, and a couch arrangement that includes a hide-a-bed. Large bathroom with large-walk in shower, and a separate bedroom with spare but nice furnishings. Though the vibe overall is very adult, sophisticated, the room arrangement would be perfect for a family with small children.

The service was unfailingly friendly. The women at the front desk worked out my late request to be credited with airline affinity miles (something I only learned about when reading their hotel guide in the room and so failed to ask for when I checked in) and the maintenance man who was making some minor repair to the main elevator, insisted on taking our bags for us to the alternate elevator down the hall, making pleasant conversation as we followed him.

The only slightly off-putting feature is the entry area. It's very "empty" To be fair, that's to carry out the art theme and it is a lot like a museum room with space to let you view installations from a distance. It just doesn't convey the kind of warmth that is otherwise a hallmark of the place.

All in all, we really enjoyed this hotel. It's rates undoubtedly make it the least expensive among its peers on the block but the amenities and the service makes it nearly their equal. In short, it's a great value place to experience the design vibe of South Beach without breaking the bank, leaving you more expendable cash with which to party.

• Stayed December 2010
JamesDagostino, Guest Relations Manager at Sagamore, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Dear Florida Travelmum,

Thank you for your feedback on our property. The Sagamore’s central location is definitely one of our strong features, and allows for our guests to see a lot of south beach even if only here for a few days.

We do also have some of the most spacious suites on south beach which can help provide a very comfortable stay, especially if visiting for an extended period of time. Our lobby area is just one of the many areas of our hotel that showcases our outstanding artwork and we would love to invite you to partake in one of our art tours on your next visit down.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

Excellent location with outstanding customer service. We went here to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and we really enjoyed and would recommend the two-story bungalows. Gregory ran a tight ship at the pool and was charming. Mickie and Gabriel did an excellent job at the bar and did a good job recommending local restaurants. The staff always went out of their way to engage us and care for us. The Sagamore Plan was a very good value but it would have been nice if they changed the fare occasionally. The hotel's location provided excellent access to the beach,boardwalk, dining and shopping at the Lincoln Street Mall.

Dear Abjjarman,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review on our property. Congratulations on your anniversary as that is a truly remarkable milestone.

I am delighted that our staff at the pool was so accommodating to you and made you feel right at home. I will definitely pass along your good praise to Gregory, Mickey, Gabriel and the rest of the staff.

Once again thanks for choosing the Sagamore for your special anniversary weekend and hopefully we will see you for your 31st Anniversary!!

nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

The best part of the hotel was the room. They upgraded us from a studio to a suite so I cant speak for the studio though we learned they were small. Room was nicely decorated great air conditioning quiet with a comfortable bed. The place is a bit worn and not kept up perfectly, we had a minor plumbing issues. The pool chairs were extremly comfortable though the pool water was too warm about 95F. They told us that there was a cold front the week prior and that they had to put the heater on which they forgot to turn off. It cooled off by our fourth day. The hotel is right on the beach and very close to Lincoln Rd shopping. Service at the pool was average, drinks were good food was okay. Restaurant is not very good nor is it open for dinner. Breakfast was not a good meal. There is no cocktail lounge at the hotel so there is little energy in the place which was fine for us. There are great comfortable benches to sit on outside with TV's that were playing The Wizard of OZ to Pink Floyd The Wall which was great for our cocktail hour. We were fine making our own drinks and rolling our own ciggarettes. Eat at the National Hotel next door if you want a nicer hotel breakfast. Desk staff is not well trained or friendly at all, though for the price it was what was expected in South Beach. Pool guy was great.

Dear ChuckieNyc,

Thank you for your review on our property. First let me apologize for the plumbing issues that you had and I hope that we were able to resolve them quickly and to your satisfaction.

The Sagamore does offer a full service restaurant specializing in Italian cuisine which is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I do apologize if you had the impression that we were closed for dinner.

Please feel free to contact me directly in regards to any service issues that you had as I would like to ensure that your next time down here we would be able to offer you a much better experience. I have left my information below, and I do look forward to speaking with you.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

The Sagamore put me in a trance as soon as I walked through the door feeling as if I have entered a museum. My boyfriend and I passed huge scrap metal statues in the entrance, quotes leading up to the rooms, graphic art on the walls, photography in the restaurant, and a floating art sculpture in the pool. The art was a sight to see in itself.

As for the room there were some delays, we didn't get the king size we wanted the first night upon arrival, but the next day they changed it. However, we were so settled in we didn't want to move. The rooms were spacious with a kitchen, big modern coach, and tub inside the suite. It is an older building with one elevator not working for a few hours and applicances were dated.

South beach was in the Sagamore's backyard. It was so romantic being able to walk the beach at night with my loved one. For me, the pool was the best part of it all. It's a quick seller once you see how relaxing it could be. At night, the palm trees were lite up by various colored spot lights. The garden bungalows were comfortable and they had the Wizard of OZ playing along with Pink Floyd music. It's very artsy. As for the bartender Mikey, well he deserves a raise with the amazing fresh watermelon mojitos he made. The staff outside were more relaxed and made us feel like my boyfriend and I belonged there.

All in all if your looking for a hotel that has culture, excellent location, nightlife, great pool and beachside then stay here. I already want to plan my next trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
san francisco, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I am really torn because there were a lot of great things about Sagamore - 1) location, steps away from the beautiful beach and right next to the best bars and restaurants in the area; 2) friendly and efficient service, 3) large rooms and 4) full kitchen. However, if you are staying at one of the bungalos like we did it is very noisy during the night. The walls are pretty thin so you can hear people next door, including some things that you really rather not hear; you can also hear everything that is happening outside -- and there is a lot happening, especially during the weekend. The hotel next door also tends to have crazy loud music and dubious crowd. We still enjoyed our stay but it was not as relaxing as I was hoping it would be.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
JamesDagostino, Guest Relations Manager at Sagamore, responded to this review, December 5, 2010
Dear Katerina_CA,

Thank you for your review on our property. We apologize that the surrounding music was disturbing to you at times, however it is the busy season and nearby properties do sometimes have large events going on during the weekends.

I am happy to hear that our staff provided you such great service during your stay. We definitely invite you to return and perhaps try one of our rooms in the main building where you will not have to worry about outside noise.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I had high hopes from the pictures on hotel website. Then we arrived. We had 3 night vouchers from Ideeli that clearly stated that we will get a 'sagamore suite' or higher room. The guy at front desk informs us that all their rooms are booked and they will give me a 'studio' instead. Studio is a downgrade and he PRETENDED like that is what my voucher says I am eligible for. So we fought back and forth on that and I underlined again and again on the voucher that it says 'sagamore suite or an upgrade if available'. He went inside the office to talk to his manager (I guess) and says oh there's a sagamore suite now available but it has two double beds. I had booked a King bed and I had email confirmation for it. But we had nowhere else to go after this so we accepted. He agreed to move to another room on next night.

The whole process took about 45 mins and I was hoping for a smooth check-in after the long flight so I can relax. But that obviously did not happen.

My husband and I had difficulty fitting into one of the double beds and one of us kept on falling off! it wasn't funny then. His legs were sticking out since he's quite tall. Then at about 3am I was awakened by our 'same-sex male partners' fighting really hard about a 3rd guy issue. The walls were paper thin and I could not go back to sleep. They fought for hours, slapping each other and one of them was saying 'give me da gun' and I was too scared to call the front desk or cops to complain after hearing that and considering that our walls are so thin.

Next day we moved to another room. Our voucher included the 'sagamore plan' which includes breakfast and it normally costs $13 I believe. Breakfast was CRAP and limited. They had pathetic looking croissants and they kept on repeating it. All I had was Orange juice and some fruit. I asked if waffles/pancakes were included and the server told us that I can order it but it will cost extra. What the hell is the $13 about then??????

The hotel has absolutely no self-parking so valet is your only option and they charge you freaking $37 a day. Are you kidding me?? So we tipped the valet guy a little more and asked if there are any other parking spots around. And he says there are but they all cost more than $30. So we parked in the hotel for first night. Next day we found out that there are many spots with hourly $1 rate and a max of $15 per day. So do your research!! Next day we parked in a garage on 15th street between Collins and Washington – just two blocks from the hotel.

Oh and the hotel was definitely not completely occupied, we hardly saw ANY PEOPLE on a busy thanksgiving weekend. LIARS! Also, this must be a #1 same sex partner friendly place since we seemed to be the only man-woman couple in the hotel. We saw no families around either. So we DEFINITELY felt out of place. I have nothing against same-sex couples just that we were a mis-fit for sure.

Bathroom fixtures were funny and the wash basin kept on splashing water back and was not easy to use. All the other pretty pictures of the hotel on their website don't look anything like that and were deserted. Pool was ugly and really tiny. Not a soul eats at their so-called restaurants. There's no event/activity in the hotel/bar anytime.

Accessibility to Lincoln road was the only positive point here but use your money at a better place. I wish I had stayed at ‘the delano’ or ‘the palms’ or one of the other big hotels on the same lane.

Dear a_true_reviewer,

First let me apologize for your experience that you had with us here at The Sagamore. Our goal is for all departing guests to leave with a positive experience and it is obvious that you left with a different perception.

I do apologize that you were not able to receive your upgrade which was agreed upon through Ideeli. We have also just completed several additions to the Sagamore Plan breakfast giving it a much better value for our guests.

In regards to the parking situation, unfortunately The Sagamore, as many other south beach properties, does not have an onsite parking garage and therefore we have a relationship with one relatively close to the hotel.

I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience if you would like to do so. I have left my direct contact info below. I look forward to the chance to speak with you.

James.Dagostino@sagamorehotel.com
305.535.8088
Pittsfield, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Miodrag, otherwise known as Miki, was the first bartender we happened upon when we arrived at the Sagamore. My husband and I decided we would have a before-dinner drink to wind down and relax from the flight. As we sat at the bar we were served by Miki - and he wasn't JUST our bartender....by the end of our stay we felt as if he was part of our family. We went to Miami to have a good time and came away with a new friend....All I can say is - every traveller should have the opportunity to meet someone on their vacation who simply...made a difference. If you travel to Miami....even if you don't stay at the Sagamore on South Beach you simply MUST stop by for a drink with Miki!!

BeckyMcCartney,

Thank you for taking the time to post your five star review of our property. I am delighted to hear that one of the members of our staff made such a lasting impression with you.

The members of our team take great pride in their work and do truly enjoy what they do and it is stories like this that show that.

We look forward to your return with us and we will definetly pass along all your good praise to Miki.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Sagamore? Share your experiences!