“Best Hotel I have stayed in” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Suite Life
Ranked #13 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Birmingham
“Best Hotel I have stayed in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

I went to the Sagamore with my wife and two youbg children for a break from Olando. My expectations were surpassed with the quality of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff. No request was too small for the staff.

I had a suite which overlooked onto the ocean, which was very roomy with a pullout sofa for the kids. The pool was ideal for the children and a great place to relax whilst the children enjoyed themselves. THe hotel has great access to the beach although you need to pay for the loungers the beach manager is great and you do avoid all of the general public since on one side you the National and Lowes on the other side.

It is one of the smallest hotels on South Beach but I found this to be an advantage since you get attention to detail and you are not fighting for space on the beach with other guests.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone and I definitely look forward to returning. I cannot concur with other reviewers views on the service, perhaps a quiet word to the manager would have resolved their issues. I spent a long time reading reviews trying to decide where to stay and I am glad I choice the Sagamore.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

1,103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We arrived at the Sagamore for a 3 night stay and very nearly only stayed one night, we were so disappointed. It was no one specific thing, but rather a succession of things that simply weren't good enough; and when you're paying $450 a night and are continually being disappointed every time you turn around, it adds up. It's certainly not a dump or the worst hotel I've ever been in, but it was a letdown. The Sagamore seems like a hotel that is riding somehow on past laurels, but when you look beyond the facade you see a tired hotel that's desperately in need of some TLC and better management.

We found most of the staff surly at best; it was rare to find staff friendly, smiling and accommodating. We like happy people. Happy people do not work at the Sagamore.

The all-white decor is chic and hip, but it falls down when you look at the walls on the restaurant patio or on the stairwell on the way to the bungalows, where the walls are scratched and dirty and desperately in need of a coat of paint, and the floors needed a thorough scrubbing. This isn't me being just a dirt freak; it's simply that if you're going to have an all white decor, it needs to be maintained, and the Sagamore doesn't do that.

The pool area and garden is lovely, with the pool on the smallish side but was always the right temperature and very refreshing. There were always loungers available in both the full sun and the shade, which was a great choice. The bartenders at the pool were about the only happy people working at this hotel. The pool bathrooms could have done with a thorough cleaning and better lighting.

The restaurant was *always* empty. We were there for three nights and kept expecting the restaurant and bar area to fill up, and it never did. I'm not certain why; we had ordered some food by the pool one day and it was quite good, so the restaurant food must have been equally as good. But nobody was ever there. We wondered if there was some marketing or PR issue, because other hotels along the beach had full restaurants and pool bar areas. The first night we were there, there was a lingering garbagey smell on the restaurant patio which we thought might have been driving people away, but I guess the garbage was picked up the next morning as the smell was gone.

The continental breakfast was delicious, with fresh pastries, hot coffee and a selection of juices. It could have done with the addition of fruit or cereal, if I could make a suggestion.

When we got to our room, it smelled very strongly of cleaning products - so much so that we had to open the patio doors to air it out. Within a few hours we realized why it smelled so strongly of cleaning products - the previous guests had been smoking in the room, and the smell lingered. Unpleasant.

The patio door in our room did not lock. We called the front desk and someone came up and fixed it within the hour.

The room (2 story bungalow) was nice but felt somewhat uncomfortable to us, perhaps due to the lingering smoke smell, perhaps due to the worn around the edges feel - the glass cabinet with the mini-bar amenities was teetery; the couch had the leather worn off the corners; the floor was stained; the spiral staircase was rickety. Upstairs, the bedroom seemed to have new carpet and was spotlessly clean, but the shower had peeling paint and mildew. The bed was very comfortable, with lovely crisp sheets and a thick duvet.

Maid service was spotty; we could never tell if we were going to have one towel left for us or four; three facecloths or none. We used the hotel's shampoo and it was never replenished, but oddly the cream we never used was (we ended up with three bottles by the end.)

As you can see - nothing "major" went wrong; we simply were left less than impressed. There's an overall feeling here that the staff doesn't care, and it shows in everything - from the attitude at check in to the lack of friendliness to the lack of attention to detail in cleaning or maid service to everything else. In the end, I would say if you were coming to Miami Beach with a group of friends and you aren't picky, this hotel would be perfect for you due to its location, the availability of good-sized rooms and funky decor. But for a couple on a relaxation holiday with fairly high standards, we found the Sagamore lacking.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Healdsburg, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

This unique hotel was all we were hoping for and more. I used to live in Miami Beach so I knew this hotel has the best location; right on the beach and just one block from Lincoln Rd and a couple of blocks from Ocean Drive. We wanted somewhere with a South Beach vibe and funky decor but also comfortable with good service. We found all of this at The Sagamore at about half of the price of The Delano and other South Beach favorites. We had a standard suite which was much bigger than your average king or double room so it was very spacious, with a sitting room and great to have a fridge and bar. I was with a friend but it would have made a great room with the kids as there is a generously sized pull out couch in the living area. The hotel has some interesting art, a nice atmosphere and the front desk, restaurant, beach and car valet staff were all courteous and amicable. In summary the Sagamore is "sophisticated South Beach" and I would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

I have never written a review of anyplace I have stayed. But, my experience at this hotel was so bad I just had to write. This hotel is in a good location but is not worth the money. The service and amenities in this hotel are totally unacceptable. Kitchenttes with no utensils, dishes, glasses etc. difficulty getting towels and having your room freshened up daily and timely, attitude at the front desk, no newspapers even though you pay a daily fee for one etc. There is no attention to any detail at this hotel. This hotel is no value for the money. I have stayed at several other South Beach hotels for a lot less money and had fabulous experiences. I was hoping by paying more, the experience would be wonderful. This was a big mistake. Do not stay here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Recent stay with wife and son was impressive. While the exterior, for these parts, is nothing special, interior is sharp, with lots of black and white, and aims for post-ironic post-modern, or something. Room was also sharp, in black and white, aromatic, and not dirty in the least. No noise issues. Pool is small but warm and, again, neatly designed. Service was fine. Only glitch was our key cards failing after 24 hours, a problem easily remedied.

Location is great, next to Lincoln Road, connected to beach, next to the uber-swank Delano, and a short walk to Lummis Park and the cool little art deco hotels.

Even in the least expensive room, when valet service (which you need), continental breakfast, and taxes are added, this place runs near $500/night. Maybe I missed some internet deals, which are reputedly great for this place.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

We hosted my friend's bachelorette party at the Sagamore on Jan. 31st this year. We had such a fabulous time - Surprisingly, the hotel wasn't so busy that weekend and we got upgraded to the penthouse!! The penthouse is wonderful for a party - 3 bedrooms, kitchen with dining room table (microwave and stovetop, no oven), contemporary decor, and the rooftop terrace was incredible. (I will post photos when I return home this week).

Fernando at the front desk was our "Hotel Fairy" and was so accommodating to us. The valet and porter were also very friendly and helpful. We very much appreciated the funky art on the walls and the stylish atmosphere.

I would have given this place 4.5 stars, but there's no halves... the only negative experience was upon checkout, my friend had to argue to take some incidental charges off her credit card (no Fernando that day), but other than that, everything was just fab!

• Liked — Front desk staff upon check-in was the best.
  • Disliked — Hidden incidental charges
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

First, let me say that the February weekend we were there it was VERY cold (VERY meaning it was warmer in Boston for parts of that weekend than in Miami!) so this colors everything I guess. That said, we thought South Beach was so intriguing, eclectic and we especially loved the slew of boutique hotels there (must be a brutally competitive business). We will go back to South Beach, probably once every year or two to people watch, try on glitzy jeans, eat great foot and enjoy the lusty mood of the place.

We picked The Sagamore based on Trip Advisor and also our travel friends who had been there before. Location was prime and overall we enjoyed it; the art was cool, mostly digital media (photos and movies) but was very fun and pervaded the place. The lobby area was bountiful and check in was smooth.

We had reserved a water view room and they provided 3 nights for the price of 2. Not a bad deal but the water view was not direct, more along the side but the rooms were spacious and clean, albeit a little leather clad. Our friends had a room facing Collins Ave the first night and it was very noisy, but the management put them into one of the bungalows along the pool for the next two nights at a reduced rate. The bungalows were pretty neat with a spiral staircase connecting the two floors.

Service was nice but slow...maybe this is Miami time, not sure. We ordered up ice and champagne glasses to toast our friends' anniversary and they were great about this...another time, we waited for an hour for some towels after calling a few times. The rooms were clean but the bathrooms were fairly non-private so if that matters to you, its was not easy to have a quiet moment alone on the John (instead, imagine being in a lightly frosted fish bowl).

We only ate one meal at the Sagamore, breakfast on last day, tea was $7 which seemed high for Tazo but kinda represented the overall menu / price / quality. The pool area never really got hopping, mostly because people were wearing down jackets and wrapped in towels.

Overall, worth a good look and probably a stay. We also took a look at the Delano (ate dinner there, yum, and hotel looked great, probably another price point higher), the Ritz (pretty modern for a Ritz but nautically cool) and the Angler over on Washington which looked great but not as good a location.

When there, be sure to take a long (all day) walk along Lincoln Avenue, try out Epicure for some treats, drive or walk along Ocean Blvd late at night and check out the vibe, and most of all, go when its warm.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sagamore? Share your experiences!