“Right by the beach” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #152 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Durham
“Right by the beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here a couple of night prior to a cruise. Our room (with kitchen) was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Views from the balcony were poor and we could see into another persons room!

The on site restaurant was very good and we ate here both nights.

The beach was right on the door step - there was a good sized pool but we didn't use this. There is a good bus service just outside which we used to get here from the airport and again the next day.

Would stay here again but it is an older hotel amongst larger newer ones so expectations need to be realistic. There is a 7-11 just opposite which is very handy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is very well located, spacious and clean rooms with all the appliances. Beautiful lobby. Front desk and valet parking are extremely helpful. Elevators big and came fast - no waiting at all. We will definitely go back.

York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel was clearly first rate when first opened, but it has declined since then. The lobby is the most impressive part, but when we got to the corridor to our rooms we were very surprised to see holes throughout the ceiling that had been badly patched-up with bits of wood and electrical cables hanging from walls. The room itself was good, with its own kitchenette. We probably wouldn't stay here again, in part because of the shabbiness, and but also because the hotel was some distance from the main shopping areas of Miami Beach (which we discovered when we walked the seven miles!). Breakfast was OK, as was the service in general (the caretaker was exceedingly polite when he arrived to fix a broken light, only to discover that the light was unplugged!)

As other reviewers have noted, this still has the capacity to be a good hotel, but it needs a fair bit of money to upgrade it. i have the feeling the owners have just decided to quietly let it rot and when appropriate sell the land.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher room to get a better view, also ask for sea view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place- I would not call it a hotel, is as described on the beach. This is it's only good point. We stayed 3 nights- too long. It is not a hotel it is a condomium we would call it a self catering flat in England. The pool was nice but all the changing rooms are privately owned and not accessible. The flats are very basic and dated, some of the drawers were unsafe. The reception area is fine. It rained for two days while we were there but nothing in the 'hotel' to do in this situation. The hallways were tatty. the whole place stuck out like a sore thumb compared with other properties in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Temecula, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The photos should speak for itself. This was the most disgusting place we have stayed in. Cats roaming around poolside, trash bins full, hallways with hanging wires, open electrical boxes next to the elevator button, mold in the bathroom, yellow water stains in the dining room/breakfast area ceilings & walls. non english speaking valet attendants, rude & sarcastic front desk staff (special mention to Danny who should not be @the front desk with the horrible attitude)...the list goes on and on....It is just unbelievable!
We have stayed at hotels under renovation but this one is just really dirty& nasty, period. Thank God we only had to stay a night for due to an early flight. Do not stay at this hotel if you do not want your vacation ruined. Just look at the photos (hallways, bathroom tile/soap container,walls,ceilings etc).

Room Tip: We were offered to switch rooms and the "best"one was supposed to be Rm 501, when we check...
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for 3 days at a reasonable price and wasn't sure what to expect. This place needs some serious updating. If the owners threw money into this hotel and updated it, I would totally come back but that's not the case. When I arrived, I first noticed the old paint chipped valet counter because that's the very first thing you see when walking up the stairs and the ashtrays are overfilled with cigerettes. I headed over to the reception desk and was greeted with a big smile and checked in. The elevators are dirty and old. I made my way to my room and had a terrific ocean view on the 10th floor. My mattress was so old that the springs were coming through and I had a small hole in my bed sheet. I wasn't sure if the bedding was changed from the previous guest? The overall hotel was clean except my room was a little dirty but I have to say I never ever saw bugs anywhere. The pool was in great condition and looked new. The beach looked clean and nice. The restaurant had decent food and reasonable prices. This place is ok for a quick getaway or if you don't plan on staying in your room. The staff is very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed March 2013
Hilton Head Island, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My daughter and family stayed there for onw week, and I spent the days with them. It is VERY FAR from Miami International Airport, my cab fare cost $ 48.
Pros : Location..on the beach,with a nice swimming pool .
Being bilingual, I noticed that the Customer Service improved 100% if I spoke English , so I had to do that, as otherwise, the Sevice was terrible. One elevator kept going haywire, floors scratched and dirty- looking.
Rooms disgracefully outdated. I have never, ever, seen, in the USA, beds and mattresses as old as the ones in the rooms. ( I went to another , same problem ) They must have been over 20 years old. Uncomfortable, sank everywhere, even my grand-kids had back aches. A true disgrace when the asking price that week for a room was $ 249. a night. I can't critique the breakfast , because I never went to it, but my family said that it was minimal and not good.

Room Tip: I think that this hotel should be razed toground, so it can compete in a fair and decorous manner wi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casablanca on the Ocean Hotel? Share your experiences!