“Don't Fall Into the Trap!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Westgate South Beach

You added Westgate South Beach to your Saves list
Westgate South Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3611 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33160 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #105 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't Fall Into the Trap!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2004

If the deal seems to good to be true....it usually is. In our case, this was certainly true. 2 months before our trip, we had contacted the Westgate regarding a newly renovated 5 star property at South Beach. My son had even gone to the hotel and checked out a room to make sure it was as promised. We were very excited because, although we usually steer clear of the timeshare tours, this was too good to pass up. We were given a rate of $298 for 6 nites at this 5 star resort right on the beach to attend their 90 minute presentation on the property we were staying at. Since we had the time, we figured, why not! I had spoken to two different sales reps and both had confirmed that the room was available for the dates we requested and that they would book it. We received a "Passport" number after they took our credit card information and were assured that we were all set. We received a packet in the mail, as promised, and had no reason to believe otherwise. Before I gave them the credit card info I had verified that we would not be charged until the reservation was made. However, two weeks before the trip, I called Westgate to see if we could get a larger suite since our daughter was going to visit, and they told me they did not have a confirmation. The Passport number was evidently not a confirmation number. How was I to know that after they had assured me it was available. For two weeks they supposedly tried to find us another property or space if it cleared. I called everyday -- and soon the supervisors were all in meetings or unavilable, as well as unresponsive to my calls. They would promise to call back, but never did. In the end I had to book a backup reservation and requested a refund from Westgate two days before our trip. A few hours later, they sent me a confirmation for an economy hotel, not near the beach nor with any of the extras we had expected when booking with Westgate. If I had not contacted them, we would have arrived to find that there was no room in the inn. They were most unaccomodating and our experience was very disappointing. I did learn, however, to always double and triple check a reservation before you arrive to be sure the hotel has you listed as a guest.

WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate South Beach, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
We appreciate you sharing your experience. We have many guests who take advantage of our fantastic package deals which allow them to stay for a fraction of the regular price. However, there must have been some disconnect or miscommunication, and for this we apologize. We process many of these packages every day and it is quite rare for such a thing to happen.
We hope to have another chance to show you a wonderful vacation.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Broad Brook CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2004

Very nicely decorated but staff is not helpful. We got a room with no hot water and when "Jose" came to check it out he insisted the water was plenty warm enough for a shower, that I just didn't know how to adjust the faucet and that I was picky like all women. I'm here to tell you, the water was freezing! We complained for 2 days before they moved us to another room. They have a "library" of videos--very limited, mostly just "adult" titles & very expensive to rent. Their marketing material says there is a convenience store on site, which there is not, and they are not walking to distance to anything other than Denny's and a few convenience stores with sparse inventory. As an English-speaking guest, the language barrier just exaccerbated the customer service problems.

Thank you for your review. We're pleased that you found our resort to be very nicely decorated.
Our apologies that our associate was not able to feel the freezing water that you did. However, we are glad that we were able to get you to another room that was a better fit for you.
If you want to explore, there is a local bus stop where you can catch a bus to take you to all sorts of South Beach locations.
Our Concierge would have been glad to give you this information: Eateries in a 10 block radius include Lola Hola, Amalfia on the Beach, Beach Cafe, Primo Cafe & Market, Coral Restaurant, Barok, Essensia Restaurant & Lounge, Tropical Beach Cafe, Cucu's Nest, Cantina 27, Creek 28, Carabba's Italian Grill, Morton's the Steakhouse, Subway, Beaches Bar & Grill, Soho Beach House, Hakkasan and Liv.
Groceries are 5 blocks north, then over the bridge and you will find Shoprite, Above It All, The Wholesome Grocer and Kastner's Market.
Whether it's relaxing at the beach, seeing the many exciting and eclectic South Beach sites or participating in our many activities here at the resort, we hope to have another opportunity to provide you with a wonderful stay!

David
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2003

The Westgate South Beach is a three-floor, resort-style hotel right on the beach. Two floors are non-smoking and the staff won't guarantee you a non-smoking room when you make your reservation. The suites are spacious, artfully decorated, clean and well maintained. Each suite has a full mini kitchen, walk-in closet, private bedroom and sofabed in the living area. This hotel is a few blocks away from any stores or restaurants so you'd have to drive if you didn't want to walk several blocks. There are no restaurants in this hotel. The staff was fairly friendly but not very accommodating. I asked for extra towels in my room and was given a strange look. I never got the extra towels. The outdoor pool is on the smaller side and not heated. The best things about this hotel are the size of the suites, the cleanliness of the rooms, and the proximity to the beach.

Been to Westgate South Beach? Share your experiences!