If the deal seems to good to be true....it usually is. In our case, this was certainly true. 2 months before our trip, we had contacted the Westgate regarding a newly renovated 5 star property at South Beach. My son had even gone to the hotel and checked out a room to make sure it was as promised. We were very excited because, although we usually steer clear of the timeshare tours, this was too good to pass up. We were given a rate of $298 for 6 nites at this 5 star resort right on the beach to attend their 90 minute presentation on the property we were staying at. Since we had the time, we figured, why not! I had spoken to two different sales reps and both had confirmed that the room was available for the dates we requested and that they would book it. We received a "Passport" number after they took our credit card information and were assured that we were all set. We received a packet in the mail, as promised, and had no reason to believe otherwise. Before I gave them the credit card info I had verified that we would not be charged until the reservation was made. However, two weeks before the trip, I called Westgate to see if we could get a larger suite since our daughter was going to visit, and they told me they did not have a confirmation. The Passport number was evidently not a confirmation number. How was I to know that after they had assured me it was available. For two weeks they supposedly tried to find us another property or space if it cleared. I called everyday -- and soon the supervisors were all in meetings or unavilable, as well as unresponsive to my calls. They would promise to call back, but never did. In the end I had to book a backup reservation and requested a refund from Westgate two days before our trip. A few hours later, they sent me a confirmation for an economy hotel, not near the beach nor with any of the extras we had expected when booking with Westgate. If I had not contacted them, we would have arrived to find that there was no room in the inn. They were most unaccomodating and our experience was very disappointing. I did learn, however, to always double and triple check a reservation before you arrive to be sure the hotel has you listed as a guest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Westgate South Beach, a beachfront is conveniently located on well known Collins Avenue. Our oversized one and two-bedroom lodging accommodations feature uniquely individualized decor. All units are equipped with a full kitchen, complete with a dishwasher and microwave, not to mention the spectacular view of the beach and Atlantic Ocean. Lounge by the pool or along the beach outside your villa. Amenities include a volleyball court and a children's playground. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Westgate South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westgate South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Westgate South Beach Miami