“Great few days stay at this Miami beachside hotel suite” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westgate South Beach

You added Westgate South Beach to your Saves list
Westgate South Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3611 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33160 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #105 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Great few days stay at this Miami beachside hotel suite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We started a long US vacation flying from London to Miami in late March 2012 and needed a few days to settle "jet lag" before moving on through Florida and eventually to California. We chose the Westgate South Beach Hotel Resort on Collins Avenue Miami Beach and were delighted with the room we were given. Our room had a large and very comfy bed which was perfect after a long and tiring flight and pre flight long distance road journey. The suite also had a good sized sitting room with TV and a small kitchen area which was sufficient for quick meals in-house, great for breakfast and snacks. The staff were always pleasant and helpful. The resort had its own private boardwalk right out onto the beautiful beach and there was a lifeguard lookout station closeby which was reassuring for bathers. The pool at the resort was OK though in March it felt a little cool but not so cold as to put you off, just wished it had been warmer. There was NO hot tub/jacuzzi which was a disappointment, perhaps they ought to consider adding one as they are a great asset to any hotel or resort and especially welcome after a day's touring around.

If using a car there is a public car park on the next block to the hotel but do ensure you pay the correct fees (the hotel sell parking permits, if required) otherwise the fines are heavy. If you have a disabled blue badge card for your home car, do remember to take it with you as the car park is then free for your use provided you clearly show the card in the windscreen for inspection (hang it from the rearview mirror is a good position).

We would happily use this hotel again when passing through Miami for a few days. We had a great time and enjoyed its good location situated at the start of the art deco area of Miami Beach.

Room Tip: we sent an email to the resort before arriving and established a good relationship from the very beg...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WestgateSouthBeach, General Manager at Westgate South Beach, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for your review of Westgate South Beach. We are pleased to hear that you had a “great few days” at our resort. Our beachside location and spacious accommodations make our resort the ideal place for a Miami South Beach vacation. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority so we appreciate your kind words describing our staff as “always pleasant and helpful.” We’ll look into the pool temperature settings, and make the necessary adjustments. We will also take your suggestion of a hot tub into consideration. Thank you for choosing Westgate South Beach, it was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to exceeding your expectations again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Jackson, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

First of all, you must understand that this property is a time-share and not a typical hotel. It is within the Westgate family of properties and can be exchanged for other time share rooms at other properties. With a time-share, you do not get daily room cleaning, fresh linens etc that you would receive in a normal hotel setting. Your room gets refreshed once in the middle of your stay. You do not have to be an owner to stay in this time-share, however, if you stay here the time-share rules apply and guests of all types are treated similarly. We are owners of a Westgate time-share and exchanged our "home" property for a week in South Beach during the Thanksgiving holiday. That being said, we can say that we were somewhat disappointed with this particular property. It is a very old structure as are most buildings in the South Beach / Miami Beach area. Due to it's age, the walls are very thin, and the floors are very unlevel and creaky. We own a 2 bedroom unit, and stayed in such at this Westgate. We found the space to be adequate and the kitchen to be well equipped. Beds were moderately comfortable as hotels go. The bathrooms were of average size. There is a significant problem with hot water though. We never could get hot water into the shower of the 2nd bathroom. We had to let it run a very long time to get it to the shower in the 1st bathroom. Sometimes the sinks would never run hot. We did mention this to the front desk, but ultimately, the building is old and so is the infrastructure. Each unit has tankless water heaters which can be a little tricky to utilize (we have one in our home, so we had a little advantage and perhaps more understanding than other guests might have) so we tried to be patient with that problem. Maintenance did check into the problem, but really the situation remained unchanged. Carpets were quite worn and loose as described in other reviewer's comments. They had that waved, rolled look about them. We were very disappointed to see that there was not an in-room washer and dryer. All other Westgate properties we've previously stayed in have had units right in the room. This one did not. To make matters worse, the coin operated laundry which was located in the basement was very hard to access. The stairwell to the facility was closed due to construction so in order to get to the laundry room we had to exit the front of the building, go around the sidewalk to the back corner, enter into the staff's area of the basement and wind through a lot of undesirable, cramped area. We decided against washing clothes which was a little inconvenient as we had packed light in anticipation of washing clothes as the week progressed. The trip to the laundry facility will improve once the stairwell is reopened, however, you can't beat having the option right in your room. We are assuming that because of the age of the building and existing plumbing issues it isn't possible to have a washer and dryer in each unit. Another problem we had with this facility was the noise level. We had read this on another reviewer's comments prior to our trip and now I know what they were talking about. Again, thin walls and floors due to the age of the building. We could hear every sound coming from all around us. We had a room right above the grocery store and facing Collins Avenue on the 2nd floor. If you are a light sleeper, avoid this room at all costs. Cars are on the street at all hours. There are voices on the sidewalk in front of the grocery store (that is physically part of this building - not owned by Westgate though) at all hours day and night. To make it worse, an employee of the store (who may not even be there any longer but it was a huge issue during our stay) parks his/her car on the sidewalk right under the guest's windows. This car has an alarm that beeps every time a person walks by or a car passes on the street. About every 15 minutes it was like an alarm clock going off on the bedside table, all night long. When we finally mentioned this to the front desk, we were told that other guests had complained as well. Westgate staff had asked the owner of the car to turn the alarm off, but apparently the car owner was not kind enough to do so. This person was not an employee of Westgate so little else could be done. If you requested top floor and rear of the building we feel that a lot of the noise problem would be diminished. The beach behind the building is beautiful. However, the building sits so far back from the ocean that there are really no "ocean view" rooms. There are lots of trees in between the hotel and the beach but a very nice boardwalk for access. This hotel is also quite far from the main shopping and eating areas of South Beach. You will definitely want to have a car or be prepared to take other transportation. Taxi's are ample and can get you to places like Lincoln Road which is a must see, On the plus side, the staff was extremely nice and helpful. They listened to our concerns and tried to address every issue. They were very helpful with planning our daily sight-seeing activities. They gave excellent advice on good restaurants and the best tours. We booked everything we wanted to do right at Westgate. Overall, this was not that bad and will perhaps improve over time as the building updates continue. It was less than we expected compared to other Westgate properties, but we did enjoy our stay and the staff made us feel welcome. It is a beautiful area and we will return at some point. We now know what to expect and we certainly won't stay in the front half of the building due to the noise!

Room Tip: Ask for top floor and in the back of the building. Collins Avenue is VERY busy and VERY noisy all da...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
WestgateSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Westgate South Beach, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your observation as to how a timeshare property works. Many owners/guests do not know how a housekeeping service is provided at a timeshare property, and I am sure once they read your review; all their questions will be answered. Also, as for your review commenting about the age of our property; you are correct. We are over 80 years old and we do our best to maintain our property to the best of our ability. We are always doing improvements to better serve you and your family vacation needs. We are currently fixing the issue you had with the hot water in the two bedroom suite, by replacing the water heaters in all the two bedrooms, to increase the water pressure in the guest bathrooms.

Also in regards to the limited laundry access, I want to apologize for any inconvenience you may have had while trying to get to the laundry room. We had the stair case that leads into the laundry room closed due to the construction that was going on in the property. The only reason we don’t have personal washers and dryers in the rooms is because there isn’t sufficient space to put them in.

Lastly, I certainly remember speaking to you about the car in the front of the building with the alarm. The car no longer parks there, and ever since speaking to you; I made it my personal mission to make sure the car alarm doesn’t affect any other guest.

I am glad you were able to sightsee while you were down here and were able to visit Lincoln Road; which is a very popular spot here in Miami. Thanks to reviews like the one that you submitted, we are able to continuously improve our property to better fit the needs of our owners and guests. I am looking forward to seeing you and your family again and I assure you that the issues you had will not be existent in your next visit. Thank you again for this informative review.
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I just returned from this hotel yesturday and whant to thank personel for a wanderful vacation.People at the front desk were very nice and helpfull. I didn't meet such nice people in European hotels.
May be this hotel is not new, but they do not pretend to be a 5 * hotel. There always something fixing and renewing. Hotel was fully booked and I thing it something means... people choose it for it's comfort.
Very nice hotel for families. Even if hotel was booked,we didn't see people and feel as it was our own mansion :). All the atractions pritty close. Bus stops few steps from hotel, car rent also near.
As a travel agent, I will offer this hotel to my clients.
Once again thank you !!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
WestgateSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Westgate South Beach, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us how your stay with us went. Being a travel agent it gives you the opportunity to see and stay at other hotels/resorts. So getting this type of review from a person such as you makes us feel great. I am glad you were able to see our continuous efforts on improving our property to better serve you. We are looking forward in serving you and your family vacation needs, and hope next time you come to stay with us we can meet. Happy Holidays.

Spartanburg, sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We visit the Westgate South Beach almost every year and are never disappointed. Micahel is one of the best managers with the Westgate family. When we arrived, we noticed some construction but it didn't interupt our vacation. If you take a look around Miami, there is construction 365 days a year. That being said, the team at Westgate South Beach goes above and beyond to make your experience the best. Every year something is new and improved. We noticed this year, the sofa and chair had been replaced. We plan to visit PH Towers and Westgate Park City Next year. We always make the most of our vacation by taking side trips and enjoying everything around South Beach and the keys. We love the grills, hammocks, beach and the boardwalk. We had the best Thanksgiving at this resort and we look forward to coming back.

Lisa and Matt

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
WestgateSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Westgate South Beach, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Lisa and Matt,

It’s very refreshing when I read reviews like yours. I am glad you think of me the way you do; and I look forward in continuing to serve you and your family for years to come. I am happy you got to enjoy our new sofa and coffee tables. We continue to improve our property as best as we can to better serve your vacation needs, and have plans to keep the trend going; giving you something new every year. Again, thank you for your kind words and look forward to seeing you next year.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I just want to say that I came here for a promotion of $99.00 for three nights. The place smelled disgusting. In the lobby and the room. The room had a damaged carpet that was all rippled like it had water damage. All the carpets were old and smelly. The staff had me come in for a timeshare presentation and told me to buy a timeshare for 7000. Only after I asked them for two hours to show me on the computer that I could stay at another hotel in another city or country did they finally relent and check. Sure enough the locations I asked for were unavailable and we checked months in advance, This particular building I stayed in must have thousands of owners and it is a huge scam because I doubt the owners could ever get in to this location because it only has three floors. The guy that came up with this scam was pretty good at it and now he's a millionaire. I should also add that there was a bug crawling on the floor that I killed and may have been a bed bug but I'm not sure and one of the pool towels had a long blood stain on it. I didn't bother telling the staff since I will never be back here. The manager was rude and insulting to me basically calling me a bad teacher for not buying into this scam. He needs to learn how to speak english and get a real job. I hope this place gets shut down. It basically looks condemned and stinks.

Room Tip: Best Western is down the block clean and new with reasonable rates.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
WestgateSouthBeach, General Manager at Westgate South Beach, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, we truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Our mission is not only to meet your expectations but to exceed them. It seems that in your case we fail to do so.

First of all let me apologize to you on behalf of the hotel and our team for your visit. Our basic process in a situation like yours will be to offer a different/better unit. You and your family will have the opportunity to look at this upgraded unit to make sure that meets your expectations. The bug encounter is not a common incident. We have a pest control department in our company; they visit regularly, and are extremely proactive towards insect’s infestations. The communication with the manager in regards to the timeshare presentation is positively not usual, and I’ll definitely share your perspective with him, and the entire training team. Not all feedbacks are positive, but all feedbacks will make us a better group.

I also want you to know that a carpet exchange is in perspective, and we are currently undergoing some construction to enforce the buildings structure.

Once again I apologize to you, and in the future if you decide to give us another opportunity, I’ll like nothing better than to have the opportunity to make your stay a memorable one.
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

This is a nice condo hotel right on the beach. This is a small hotel with great service. You can rent chairs and umbrellas from the hotel at the beach or buy a sandwich or drink. They also have a small store where you can buy just about anything you need to eat or enjoy the beach more. They were doing construction on the hotel while we were there, but it didn't bother us much as we were on the beach enjoying the sun and waves. There is a boardwalk that runs all the way down to the heart of South Beach past many stores and places to eat. While the Hotel does not have its own parking, there is a public parking lot right next to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
WestgateSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Westgate South Beach, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Guest:

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write a review about our location as this review can help others in making the decision to come to Westgate. I am very pleased that you were able to enjoy our beautiful weather and our great sandy beaches. I hope during your next visit I would have the pleasure in meeting you and your family. Once again thank you for you visit and we look forward to hosting your next vacation and making all your vacation dreams come true.

Paterson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

We stayed here for a week with extended family ranging in ages from 9 months to grandma in december 2010 and had a great time....we are westgate owners of Planet Hollywood Las Vegas, so we wanted to check out this property, and really enjoyed it....this is the perfect place for a family with its on-site playground, volleyball, pool, daily family activites, and even a convenience store...a few steps away is the boardwalk and beautiful clean beach....granted, there are some older shady looking apartments (occupied and vacant) nearby, the hotel itself was clean and comfortable, even though it is not new, its kept up well, and the staff is helpful and friendly....you can walk to stores and other hotels and restaurants via the boardwalk or street....the area was under construction at that time, and apparently undergoing improvements, so the future looks good for the area....we would consider staying here again even though we spent alot of time south of here on Lincoln Rd, Ocean Drive, Espanola way, and a few trips into Miami....cab fare to Lincoln Rd was about $12.00 each way and Ocean Drive about $15.00 each way, so it does add up....not many restaurants close to the hotel, so we took advantage of the on-site convenience store which had excellent baked goods, sandwiches, and purchased goods to cook in the room sometimes....great experience overall, and recommend staying here, especially with children....

Room Tip: we were poolside, next time would like ocean view, either way its not a noisey place....
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
WestgateSouthBeach, General Manager at Westgate South Beach, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to receive such nice feedback for our efforts. Looking forward to accommodate you and your family next summer.

Been to Westgate South Beach? Share your experiences!