“Not "Hot"...Not "Not"...just "Meh"” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great Florida Savings!
Ranked #76 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Montreal, Canada
“Not "Hot"...Not "Not"...just "Meh"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at this Courtyard recently, for 3 nights. Checked in, went to my room, and lo and behold, interrupted a nice couple in the middle of getting to know each other better. BAD START. Went back down to the front desk, informed the non-plussed agent, got no apology, and a new key for another room. Got to my new room, mercilessly unoccupied, and settled in. Room was ok, had a view of a brick wall and the AC units, and the bathroom was from about 1995. My group had 2 days of meetings in their "boardroom", which should be re-christened the "boardcloset". Word to the wise using this hotel for business meetings - if you are more than 12 in your group, go elsewhere.
Location was good, valet parking was reasonable and they got the car to me reasonably quick. Didn't get a chance to use the pool or eat in the café so can't comment on those.
Solid, decent hotel, but bottom line - not worth the $275/night rate - not even close.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear JEDWARDRAZA,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for an occupied room being issued at check-in. That is definitely uncomfortable for all parties involved and a mistake on our part. Additionally, the lack of empathy that you received is unacceptable; please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. Additionally, I apologize that the view from your room was less than satisfactory and the meeting space wasn't comfortable. We pride ourselves on being a business and leisure hotel and we definitely want guests to continue to visit our property to conduct business and kick back. Please know that our hotel has great value and these issues are not representative of our product. If you would like to discuss you experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at 305-604-8887,

Kind regards,

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

for $300 a night I expect more. From a Courtyard by Marriott I expect more. They only have one person on check in at most times. There is almost always a line to get your car. The rooms are ok, but if you want a view go somewhere else. If you're lucky you get a view of an apartment complex, if you're unlucky like me your view is of air conditioning units and a gravel roof (South Beach!!!) The hotel elevator is broken, and based on previous reviews it has been for at least two weeks. The gym is small with out dated equipment. I wouldn't come back. I wouldn't tell anyone to stay here. In fact I would do the opposite.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front or back are best.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Chayler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach.

You indicated in your response that the overall value was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. Additionally have experienced ongoing issues with our elevator, but we have worked diligently with the vendor to have the issue corrected.

You’re a valued guest and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed the night before our cruise. They were able to check us in at 11:00 so we got to spend all afternoon by the pool rather than waiting for 3 o'clock checkin.
Money saving The market across the street has huge breakfast sandwiches. Very hot and fresh.
Transportation tip
We flew into Fort Lauderdale because tickets were 1/2 the price. Rented a car from Hertz and dropped off at the Fountainbleu. A short walk to the Marriott. Slightly more expensive than a shuttle but we did some sightseeing so it was worth it for us.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ruffle57,

Thank you for staying with us prior to your cruise. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

Nanyce
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Spent 3 days here prior to cruise and although the location was acceptable the hotel was basic and lacked any kind of atmosphere due to the real lack of a bar/dining room/lounge . These were combined into an area off the lobby and couldn't be described as a lounge/dining area or bar as it fell short on all counts and after 9.30 in the morning no breakfast. Don't expect crockery or cutlery everything is disposable. Staff under pressure at breakfast as girl taking orders then had to disappear to get coffee/cooked food etc. Rooms were again basic and ours at the rear faced a brick wall. Pool area on the roof was good location but little used during our stay, if you wanted a drink or food there you had to take it up with you. Staff were in general friendly but it lacked the "Marriott" feel. Would only stay again if it was an overnighter felt like a bed factory "get em in and out" no frills, no fuss but unfortunately we paid the price of a Marriott hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of hotel are quieter but have no view other than the buildings behind.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear retired,

I was disappointed to read your comments, but we definitely appreciate the feedback. Reading that the hotel didn't have an atmosphere and the staff didn't offer the same Marriott quality that you expect is disheartening. I am extremely apologetic that we didn't meet your needs during your stay. We do offer cutlery at the hotel and the disposal ware is for items to go only. I apologize if that wasn't the case during your dining experience. Again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you will continue to choose Marriott when you travel.

Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Held a 2 day business meeting in this hotel and I am sorry to say it was not up to anything like the standards one normally gets from Marriott.

Poor standards, room not dressed properly, flimsy plastic knives, forks and glasses, no crockery, coffee only served in cardboard cups etc etc etc.

Food was Ok but lunch for example left in the room ALL DAY and to cap it all during my 3 days at the hotel only on the last day following many complaints did a duty manager come and ask what was my problems etc. The on site events manager never bothered to contact me at any time.

The GM was away from the property during my stay so it may have been a case of "When the Cats away".........

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. I am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your meeting with us. This is honestly the first time we received negative feedback on a meeting room event. I talked with the coordinator of the event yesterday and expressed my apologies. He did warn me that many of the attendees planned to post negative reviews on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that we couldn't recover from this issue prior to your departure. I hope you will accept my apology for the inconvenience.

Lethbridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Really tiny rooms with thin walls and average beds. This hotel is very jammed for room...their meeting rooms/conference room was small and poor ventilation and air conditioning controls. The small bar and food area is ok but staff are not very friendly or customer driven. This is not a good hotel

Room Tip: Spend a 100 more and get a bigger room. Stayed at savoy for a hundred more and way bigger and right...
Good afternoon Todd,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriot on Jan 25th, prior to going to our first cruise. Although this hotel was pricier than I wanted, it was clean and comfortable for 5 of us (mother, husband, 2 young children, and I). It is nicely decorated with many modern accents and is well situated, only a short walk to amazing restaurants, the beach, and Ocean Drive. 7-11 is nearby as well as shopping and the convention centre. On site snack/bar/Starbucks makes breakfast a breeze or afternoon cocktail/coffee convenient. Lobby has really nice sitting area and several tvs. I was impressed to pieces by manager Joe Vega. His attentiveness and kind regard of others really made it wonderful. He remembered my family and our check out time (too early to go to the ship) and made sure to give us an updated key card so we could continue to go in and out of the hotel. He was also kind enough to allow us to use the luggage storage when we returned because our flight was very late and our ship docked very early. Again, he graciously allowed us use of the facilities while we waited to go to the airport and even went as far as to give us some extra free tickets he had to an Antique show nearby. He went above and beyond my expectations of service and graciousness. Although Marriot Courtyard was merely a short stop on our cruise vacation, Joe made it one of the most memorable parts of it. Truly the cherry on top!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Fiona K,

I am so happy that enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your compliments to the hotel and Joe. He is definitely a gem and we're lucky to have him. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future.

Nanyce Lanier

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach? Share your experiences!