“Great location!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We loved this hotel! It was clean and the staff friendly! Perfect location! A very nice hotel with a roof pool and an incredible view of the city (especially at night). Unfortunately the parking is situated on a different street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear k4miky,

I'm so happy you enjoyed the hotel and our staff! That is wonderful to hear and we really appreciate the feedback. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future!

331 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I processed our booking for a family of 5 that included 2 small children in to the Marriott Courtyard in Miami on the 28th + 29th December 2013, back in Oct 2013. I deleiberately booked the Marriott because its location was in South Beach close to Lincoln Road for the shops and restaurants, and it was a very short walk from the beach. Hence it looked to be ideal for a family vacation.

I called the hotel on the 24th December 2013, to inform them that we would be arriving at the hotel late on the evening of Saturday 28th December, and that two of the party were small children under 5 years of age. I was assured that the late arrival would not be a problem and that the hotel staff were looking forward to seeing us. I put the phone down confident that the reservation I had made back in October 2013, for my family to spend a couple of days in Miami whilst on holiday visiting relatives over the festive break was still in place.

We arrived at the hotel around 21:30 on the 28th, having spent four hours driving up from Key West in heavy traffic conditions. We pulled up at the Marriott and set about unpacking all our luggage from the car. We then gave the car keys to the valet who promptly drove off with the car to park it. Our party of 5 proceeded to check in at the front desk. By this time the two children were miserable after the long journey from Key West ,and was displaying clear signs of being very tired. I had provided their full details including their age at the time I made the booking back in October. However, at this stage in the proceedings we was informed by the receptionist that our room had been double booked and that we had no alternative but to stay in a different hotel to the Marriot for the first night of the two night stay. This news left me both shocked and angry. What kind of hotel group kicks two small children out of their reservation and makes then travel to another hotel at 10pm at night? Clearly a very greedy hotel group who put making making money over the welfare of the children who are booked in to their hotels as paying customers.

After my begging the receptionist to see if there was anything she could do to get us a room at the hotel, it became clear that we had no option but to have to then wait for the valet to return the car, re-pack the car with all the luggage, and to then try and find our way to the new hotel. The Marriott didn't provide us with a map for the new hotels location. As we was new to Miami we had no idea where the hotel was located. We ended up having to use my iPhone to find it, which added to the delay and caused further stress for our party.

Whilst I appreciate a young person would probably give their right arm to stay at the 'hip and happening' Delano Hotel, it is anything but a child friendly hotel. This is because its key clients are mostly young revellers. We finally arrived at the hotel around 10:15, to be met by very loud music because one of the bars is located right by the main reception area,and so the party crowd who appeared to be having a very good time on a Saturday night where partying away in front of us.

Given the fact that we had two very small and by now extremely tired children in our party the situation was becoming a nightmare thanks to the greedy Marriot group. By the time we went through the process of checking in for the second time at a hotel in Miami in less than an hour it was gone 11pm by the time we got the key to the room. However, when we got up to the 6th floor and in to the room we had been allocated it became clear that it was not equipped for five guests. The room was very cold and felt damp throughout. It was certainly not of the standard that I would have expected the rooms to be at the much hyped 4* Delano. Plus it did not have enough towels or bed linen to accommodate our party of 5. Nor did it have coffee making facilities as the Marriott has. We therefore had to order room service to get some hot drinks to warm us up becasuse the room was so cold, which took a further thirty minutes to arrive and which we had to pay for. We had to wait another thirty minutes to be given the bed linen to allow everyone in the party to go to bed because at this stage we were all very tired and somewhat distressed thanks to the way the Marriott group treats its customers.

Once we turned the lights out it became clear that no one would be getting much sleep because our room directly overlooked the Delano hotels front entrance entrance and car valet area. It was so noisy that two of us got up out of bed got ourselves dressed and made our way to a nearby Walgreens to buy some earplugs. By now it was 12:30am.

I am a regular traveller with my job. Over the years I have received very good customer service and also some not so good in the various hotels where I have staid around the globe. But in all those years of using hotels I don't think I have ever come across a company that kicks two small children out of their reservation due to the hotel chain allowing double booking's out of pure greed. Its nothing short of a disgrace. Putting a small family of 5 up in the Delano was not the right move by any standards.

Whilst I fully appreciate the fact that the Marriot picked up the tab for the 1 nights stay at the Delano, no amount of money could make up for the inconvenience of us being kicked out of the Marriot late at night, having to then try to locate and travel to another hotel to re-check, only to then be turfed out of that hotel at 11am the following morning (which was the time that we was due to meet friends in the Miami Coral Gables region), in order to have to travel back to the Marriott and re-check in for our reservation on the night of the 29th.

We were finally able to check in to our reservation at the Marriott for the 2nd of the 2 nights we had booked about 1pm the following day, which totally ate in to our plans for the day. The room was spacious ands clean. It was also thankfully at the back of the hotel away from the noise out the front. However, the bed settee that allows the room to accommodate three adults and two children at the Marriott was not fit for a dog to sleep on let alone a human. The springs in the bed could clearly be felt when laying in the bed. There was no way we would have allowed the children to sleep on such an old mattress, and so having had very little sleep at the Delano the night before thanks to the noise of the traffic and party revellers outside the hotel directly below our room, my second nights sleep was interupted with the constant feel of a bed spring in my back. The bed settee looked and felt to have been in use since the 1950's.

The only saving grace of the Marriott Courtyard was the two very polite and helpful valet operators, plus Joe the manager on the front desk who when we arrived on the second day to check in again was very apologetic and helpful. The young guy working in the Starbucks bar on the night of the 29th, also provided a high level of customer service, as did the maintenance man when I reported the lift was making a very strange loud noise and was vibrating when travelling between floors.

Thanks to the Marriott group our two day family vacation to Miami and plans throughout the two days were completely ruined. I would therefore like to know why they kicked two small children out of their reservation without any prior notification to me, which is appalling given the fact that you had both my email address and cell phone number on your records. I think the Marriott Group owe me an explanation for the inconvenience and time wasting that they put my family through because thanks to the group you completely ruined what was meant to be a fun two day stay over in Miami whilst catching up with old friends whilst we were over in the US on vacation from the UK.

I would never use a Marriott Hotel again. They even promised to top up my rewards as part of an apology. But they have not even bothered to do that.

Such a dreadful level of service to a family from the UK who was so looking forward to the two day trip to Miami to see old friends.

I won't be using Marriott Hotels again either for pleasure or business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the main road noise.
Dear KeelyP6,

I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. I can assure you that we would never intentionally displace guests, especially traveling with small children. In the rare occasion that our hotel cannot accommodate a reservation we pay for the guests stay at a nearby hotel. I apologize that the Delano did not meet the needs of your family during the stay. We are all extremely apologetic for the inconvenience and disappointed that we impacted your vacation. I hope you will change your mind about choosing a Marriott hotel in the future. It was not our intention to leave such bad taste in your mouth. We hoped that the accommodations at the Delano would make up for the trouble. Again, I am very sorry.

Regards,
Shingle Springs, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My only complaint was the advertised-quoted pricing of Hotels Rooms. Not just this hotel but all hotel chains. They quote you the price of the room but none of the other items you will be charged for. Every city-county-state has different taxes associated with the Hotel Room rate. They vary widely from place to place. In some cases, I have paid $100 more in taxes for a $400 a night room. If I had known how much extra I would be paying I would have looked at a $300 a night room. In one instance there was a "resort fee" of $25 added to the bill. It covered all the things you expect to get with the purchase of a room for a night: shampoo, pillows, etc etc. I feel it is disingenuous of ALL the Hotel Chains not to follow the lead of the Airlines that are now forced to quote the complete cost of renting a room.

Room Tip: They add for parking so make arrangements.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Douie,

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall at the hotel. Thank you for the staff recognition. I just wanted to confirm that the only charges you were concerned about at our hotel in particular were the taxes and the valet? We definitely do not have a resort fee at our hotel and we offer complimentary Wi-Fi and additional amenities that the guest is not responsible for. I do understand your concern about the industry charges overall and I can assure you that Marriott is not a company that nickels and dimes their customers. I hope you will continue to choose Marriott when you travel.

Nanyce
atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

5-10 mins walking distance to beach. Very close to Lincoln mall, espanzola and where the crowd is. Not for visit with young kids but will be great for adults as neighborhood is very adult oriented.
HIV test van on every 4th block and strip joint is just across the street and erotic museum just down the street. Great to walk on the beach, Lincoln mall but to dip in the water may be better off at the ocean front locations further north or south.
We're there between x'mas and new year 2013 and very crowded there as avg restaurant wait time is 2 hrs on Lincoln mall. So my opinion may be skewed.

Dear Hkhine,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I was surprised to read that you didn't feel we were an ideal location for access to the beach. Although we are not located on Ocean Drive it is very easy to access the beach from our hotel. I apologize if you were inconvenienced during your stay. Also, I'm not sure about the vans on the corners. There is a possibility that the city of Miami Beach was hosting an awareness drive, but that isn't common to see the vans you described on a regular basis. Additionally, the entertainment club across the street from us is closed until further notice. We thank you again for your comments and I hope this helps with some the concerns you mentioned.

Dresher, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed four nights at this hotel during the busy Christmas holiday week. The hotel’s front desk was well-staffed throughout the entire stay. As most other reviewers mentioned, the location is excellent, except that it is not on the beach block. However, the nearby beachfront hotels are significantly more expensive. We only needed to get in our car twice in the four days. We parked in a city parking lot that is diagonally across the street from the hotel and very convenient to access. The city parking lot was significantly less expensive than valet parking, even on the days that we entered and exited the parking lot more than once. We would have made better use of the attractive rooftop pool if the weather was nicer. Wireless internet service and the hotel lobby computers worked great which was a big plus since I had to take care of a few business matters during my stay. There were lots of families staying at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear CAJ45,

I love to read post like yours. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay with your family and found your way around the area. I'm equally pleased to hear that our staff was helpful. Thank you again and we hope you will visit us in the future.

Sayville, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed at the hotel Christmas night 2013. Was very expensive for what it was, Yes the room was large and the pool was nice, but for $300 plus for the night with parking, I would have like more than a Bistro breakfast, someone to help with the bags. Yes, there were Bellman, but they were also Valets, so I would have had to wait a long time for bag service. The location is pretty far from the beach as well.

Dear Scott S,

It seems that overall you enjoyed your stay with. I apologize that you didn't see the value with the hotel. We are conveniently located to everything that Miami Beach has to offer. Our rates are very competitive in the market, but the rates tend to increase for beach hotels. I would love to hear more about your breakfast experience. I wasn't sure which part of the breakfast you did not like. Thank you for sharing your feedback and I hope to hear from you.

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel is well located. Walking distance to the beach and ocean drive! Beach was aswesome when I went! Super hot on September 30th.
Lots of restaurants and place to get a drink on Ocean drive or Collins Avenue...Really nice area,
There are 2 great little restaurants in front of the hotel: 1 Mexican and 1 Cuban food. Not expensive and good food.
The Staff is super nice and the pool was amazing, specially because it was super hot. Nice View of Miami! Location is good, 15-20 minutes from Airport, 10 minutes from the Cruise boats!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear dannyborja,

I really appreciate your comments. I am so happy to hear that everything was pleasant during your stay. I hope you will viisit again in the future!

Nanyce Lanier

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Beach South Beach? Share your experiences!